Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #15

Use mass and momentum to your advantage....
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
A good way to learn to reach a max economy driving style is to put a glass of water in the doghouse cupholder. Fill it to near the top, leaving no more than 1/8" at the top. Now drive WITHOUT spilling any water. You will learn how to minimize braking and acceleration very quickly. Also teaches you to make smoother turns and such as well...

Forget about spark plugs, air filters, etc. It takes X amount of gas to make Y watts of power, which is what it takes to move a large cinder block at your chosen speed. NOTHING you can do will reduce that except either less mass or less resistance. Neither is practical unless you are willing to downsize.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:55 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hyatt View Post
A good way to learn to reach a max economy driving style is to put a glass of water in the doghouse cupholder. Fill it to near the top, leaving no more than 1/8" at the top. Now drive WITHOUT spilling any water. You will learn how to minimize braking and acceleration very quickly. Also teaches you to make smoother turns and such as well...

Forget about spark plugs, air filters, etc. It takes X amount of gas to make Y watts of power, which is what it takes to move a large cinder block at your chosen speed. NOTHING you can do will reduce that except either less mass or less resistance. Neither is practical unless you are willing to downsize.
Amen[emoji373]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:22 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always open up the air intake so the engine does not have to suck as hard. I get maybe .1 more mpg but much better throttle response.
Then I drive so I use minimum throttle to maintain a speed by watching a instantaneous mpg meter. I don't give it much throttle going uphill. And let the downhill rebuild my speed. Holding a steady throttle as possible.
I always get 1-3 more mpg than anyone else on our diesel and more on cars. I never go over 60 mph cruising, but faster sometimes downhill.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #19

Follow all the above advice and you'll get better gas mileage, maybe even 8.9 MPG!

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #20

Synthetic Oil will give you a 10% increase

On an engine with less than 100k miles I use Mobil 1 or Amsoil full synthetic oil
(RV, car, motorcycle, generator) I can report a 10% increase in fuel mileage.
Good oil is your best investment.
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like the OP is already into the "unreachable" mileage for gas rigs. Ever since I had gas rigs (1988) I used 8 mpg for budgeting. Even in my 1988 Okanagan 17' Type B with a GearVenders overdrive unit I never got over 9.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBlogger View Post
Hello All,

I own a 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest with Ford V-10 engine, which is a Class C RV, and I get about 8.8 mpg.

My question is can I increase my MPG somehow other than driving 55 mph and making sure my tires are inflated properly?
No. Be pleased that it's not worse. 8.8 is pretty decent, IMHO.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I always open up the air intake so the engine does not have to suck as hard. I get maybe .1 more mpg but much better throttle response.
Then I drive so I use minimum throttle to maintain a speed by watching a instantaneous mpg meter. I don't give it much throttle going uphill. And let the downhill rebuild my speed. Holding a steady throttle as possible.
I always get 1-3 more mpg than anyone else on our diesel and more on cars. I never go over 60 mph cruising, but faster sometimes downhill.
Opening the air intake on a diesel may help with mileage, although probable immeasurable, due to the open air system. Diesels varry the amount of fuel injected into the combustion chambers to control power.

Gas engines have throttle plates in the air intake. They restrict the air flow to control RPM and power. You could remove the air filter and not gain any power at light throttle. The throttle plates are the restriction.

The only gain may be realised when at full throttle and that's not the economic way to drive.

This country ( USA ) has been battling to increase fuel economy for years. If these simple fixs worked, they would have done them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #24

While mileage may vary... I really feel installing the 5-star tune on my 2012 easily helped me pick up about .5 more miles per gallon.. I also liked the smoother/quieter ride, given the new shift points...

I really didn't like my engine screamin' every time I went over an overpass..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Other than a block of wood under the gas pedal, there is no easy cure here.
Seems like the OP is doing just fine now.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
On an engine with less than 100k miles I use Mobil 1 or Amsoil full synthetic oil
No.
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To put fuel consumption in perspective, my gasoline 2.7 litre Ecoboost truck pulling a trailer that weighs about 6500 lbs wet (for a combined gross vehicle weight of around 11,000 lbs - scaled) I get about 9.5 - 10 MPG in flat terrain doing 60 MPH and 8.5 MPG or slightly less pulling West Coast grades of up to 7%. Empty truck not pulling a trailer, I get close to 20 MPG if I stay out of the Loud Pedal in mixed city/highway driving.

Now, my buddy with a brand new Volvo tractor is getting 8 - 9 MPG running mostly US Interstates pulling 80,000lbs (gross vehicle) and I get about 4.5 - 5 MPG in my work truck pulling 140,000 lbs 50% of the time and running about 40-50,000 lbs (empty) the rest.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
So, I can gain 1 MPG, 10% of 10 MPG, by changing my oil.

Increadable !!!!
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote