Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Daytona Beach Area...
Posts: 14
What about the camp sites, what are they like?

Are we talking a 'Cops' episode (trailer park trash), or are they decent people?

Are they full of permanent residents or are all mobile and move often?

Are they clean?

Are the camp hook up rates expensive?

And as I asked about price, are the RV prices negotiable?

Although a lot more expensive at the pump, is diesel better than gas?
__________________

__________________
IrishRifles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fairbury, Nebraska
Posts: 108
Irishrifles:
campsites-many different kinds, no hookups, electric only, electric/water, full (electric, water, sewer)
public campgrounds like state parks, COE, USFS, City., or County parks will generally have electricity, a place to fill your water tank and a dump station
private campgrounds will be likely to have full hookups, but you will pay considerably more.
People-99% of the folks I have met camping are great people!
Private campgrounds will tend to have a mix of permanent/mobile campers, most public campgrounds have a 14 day limit.
Cleanliness- I've been in some that were really nice, some not so much, it just depends on who/how it is taken care of.
Hookup prices-the more amenities the more you pay, USFS, COE will be the cheapest, especially if your Dad is old enough to get the Senior Pass(half price) maybe $10/day. Private the sky is the limit, most are around $40/day
Always Negotiate, Negotiate, Negotiate the RV price
Diesel vs Gas. There are lots of forums here on that discussion, generally it boils down to the miles you will drive with it. Diesel will cost you more up front, but you will get better fuel mileage and power. Gas may be cheaper to own if you need repairs.

My personal history: first camper was a home built on the back of a 63 Chevy 1/2 ton, many years later a '75 5th (27 ft)pulled by a 92 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 350. I wore that engine out! got a 98 Chevy with 454, it would pull that camper, then the next, a '95 5th (28 ft)with slide, but the fuel mileage was 6 mpg! then an 04 Duramax, it gets double the fuel mileage that 454 did, and it easily pulls my '15 Durango with 3 slides (32 ft) and the boat behind it.

I started cheap, with what I could pay cash for, and continually upgraded, the DW and I actually looked for 3 years before we pulled the trigger on that Durango, it took that long to find the things we wanted, in the places we wanted them, and with the ht/wt we wanted.

Just keep looking, if you think you need something soon, check out E/bay, Craigslist, etc. but be prepared to not get exactly what you want the first time. If you are handy, you can fix things like vinyl flooring, carpet, etc.
__________________

__________________
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,315
Keep in your mind you're buying a depreciating asset, expect to lose money; like buying an automobile.
As to campgrounds/RV parks, it's a good idea to use irv2.com rvparkreviews to learn what other think about staying there. There are other review websites on the internet too, but I like to think irv2.com members tell it as they really see it.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
rvtrekers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRifles View Post
many people buy one and then sell it back to the dealer they bought it from only a short time later .. What is the real deal in owning an RV?
Went from tent camping to an aftermarket popup tent on our Honda Element.

Wife is retired, I am ~ 3 years away, so we wanted to get started now with a motorhome and learn before we have more time to travel.

Our Honda Element and our CR-V are excellent cars for 4 down towing.

I wanted a Diesel Pusher, budget said gasser.

Wanted something that could pull our cars.

Tried to find the best fit for our mission which is fly fishing where we need the toad to get down to the rivers.

Bought a small class A with one slide so I could store it on our driveway.

Screws that hold the exhaust fan over the stove backed out on our last trip. I am doing my own repair and replacing the screws with bolts. I knew before we purchased we would have issues but felt I could do some of the work myself.

I knew before we purchased the handling characteristics would not be optimal and I would have to spend money to get the handling the way I wanted it.

I knew before I purchased that if we liked RV'ing in the class A gasser, when I retired we would move up to a diesel pusher.

That's our real deal. Fortunately we have done the right things and saved over the years so we can afford to own and even take a hit when it comes to sell and move up to the DP.
__________________
Bill & Laurie | 2016 Monaco Trek 26HMD - CHF - Roadmaster RSSA Steering Stabilizer - SuperSteer SS400 Trac Bar | 2005 Honda Element - Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar - RVIBrake2 System | TireMinder TPMS |
rvtrekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #33
Member
 
snakebitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Coastal Texas
Posts: 44
My advice can be irritating to some, but I've learned this point of view over many years of watching OTHER people.

Don't burden yourself with the unrealistic expectation of finding the exact, perfect, absolute zero regret solution. Life will rarely present such.

Remember that the real reward is the adventure! And the time spent with loved ones making cherished memories. In fact, when it comes to RV'ing and world travel, some of my fondest memories are the challenges faced when things didn't go as planned or expected.

Besides, I suspect if yaw do indeed follow through with your dreams, AND it turns out to be something you love, it won't be because of the perfect floorplan.

Good luck.
__________________
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
MartySQ's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRifles View Post
Well, for a brief rundown (we live in north east Florida).
Its for myself and my dad to tour around the US, maybe Canada.
We also do civil war reenacting.
I'm 6' 3', he about 6'.
We want something that has a main bedroom and a solid door that separates the main bedroom from the rest of the RV (for snoring noise and privacy), for me I was assuming I'd sleep in that overhead sleeping area over the drivers and passenger seat, as most of those pull out couches and kitchen tables that fold down are way too short for me.
We were also wanting one with a decent size bathroom that is outside the main bedroom as not to disturb the bedroom sleeping area.
A class C is nice and neat as its all self contained, we figured in this class we would get and hook up to the tow hitch a couple of scooters to get around on when the RV is in camp.
On the pull along the biggest benefit is we can detach the pickup truck from the RV and use the truck to do what ever we need to do but we do not own a large enough pickup to tow one, we only have a mini van.
The class C's are a lot more expensive than a pull along too, tens of thousands more.
We're not looking to spend as much as a small house costs but we don't want no-frills crap either.
Lastly the long term storage issue when not in use is also a consideration.
Be sure you can stand up straight in what you get, it is a pain to conk your head all the time...makes for a grumpy camper. The class C's are more expensive because you have the vehicle with it... so house and vehicle. You would need to compare the cost of a new towing vehicle and the camper you choose with the cost of a motorhome, Be it a C or an A type. If you are planning an extended trip, storage space is valuable as is plenty of room for tall men to stretch their legs. Scooters are a good option unless it's raining and you need to get someplace. Tough decision. We went with an old well loved and upkept small motor home, mostly because I want to be able to do all the stuff myself with it if I go out solo... Hubby is not quite 6 ft. tall, and he fits the bed ok, but the height is very close...He isn't sure he likes camping, but at least I can get him to go with me... he used to really complain about the tent...If he decides he likes it enough, we will eventually go to a slightly larger, and newer unit... but that is way down the road if it happens. He still doesn't care to live in the box for more than a week...
__________________
Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute or a yellow Jeep Wrangler.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Daytona Beach Area...
Posts: 14
What states have the worst campsites/RV parks?

The length with the secondary bedding is a real problem, people who are 6' or taller I can only assume were never on the minds of the architects and builders of RV's.

I mean, what are the makers thinking?

Even some of the overhead bedding I've seen on a lot of models is so flimsy and cheaply made, I would never risk sleeping on it for fear of it breaking either right away or in a short time with use.
__________________
IrishRifles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRifles View Post
What states have the worst campsites/RV parks?

The length with the secondary bedding is a real problem, people who are 6' or taller I can only assume were never on the minds of the architects and builders of RV's.

I mean, what are the makers thinking?


Even some of the overhead bedding I've seen on a lot of models is so flimsy and cheaply made, I would never risk sleeping on it for fear of it breaking either right away or in a short time with use.
They are thinking that they only have so much space to jam all the "amenities" that buyers want, so some things have to be sacrificed.

As far as campgrounds, you will find good and bad in every state.
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:56 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
guardrail53's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: anywhere U.S.A, Currently back home in Thailand!
Posts: 1,822
IrishRifles, I am 6'3" tall, and I feel you pain! I have been around MH's for the last 30 years or so, and all have been Class A's! The first thing I do when looking at a MH, is go to the bathroom, and sit on the toilet, is there enough room for your legs? Then I get in the shower, is there enough room for your head and arms as you shower? Where does the shower head hit you? Can it be moved up? Lay down on the bed, is there enough room for you, or do your feet hang over? Can you pull the mattress away from the head of the bed 4"s or so to make it long enough? You are talking about the bed over the cab in a Class C, have you thought about making that bed? After all, it is in your living space! And getting it ready for sleep is another question? And you ask if the price the dealer gives you set in stone? NO, a big NO!! Take 30% of it as your first counter offer! You can always go up, you can never go lower! OK, as you look at the MH's on the lots, think very strongly about used, high end Diesel pushers! There are some very well loved, older used DP for sale at great prices! I just bought a very well loved DP 20 years old in great shape for under 20K! Has plenty of room, both couches are long enough for me to sleep on if I needed to! And the bed room bed is long enough for me also! I have plenty of room in the shower, and the toilet room( separate) with a solid door, has plenty of room also! It has two solid wood pocket doors, one at the bed room and one at the kitchen/bath room! So it has two solid doors between the bed room and the front living room! Both front captains chairs spin around and face the living room! One leather couch folds out into a bed! Also, it has a huge basement, with all kinds of storage!
You got your advice on the CG's, and will have to decide for yourself on what you guys like the best!
One more piece of advice, that you have not thought about, if you get a Diesel MH, a C or A, make sure it has a diesel generator, not a gas that is converted to propane! Very important! When you are running down the road, running the generator to power your A/C's and are comfortable, happy, knowing that the fuel gauge is how much you have for your generator too is very nice! And they last 4 to 5 times longer that the gas ones! Wondering about finding a place to fill your propane tank should be something you worry about once a year, not once a week or more! And remember that propane is heating your shower water, running your furnace, and fueling your stove, and running your fridge too, so if your generator is using it too, you get my drift? Hope this helps you make your mind up a little better? Good luck in your search!
Rail!
__________________
Retired, and "Always on Holiday!"
1996 Monaco Windsor 38PB, "Mona" 275 HP., 8.3 Cummins, 3060 Allison 6 speed
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #38
Community Moderator
 
barmcd's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
My advice can be irritating to some, but I've learned this point of view over many years of watching OTHER people.

Don't burden yourself with the unrealistic expectation of finding the exact, perfect, absolute zero regret solution. Life will rarely present such.

Remember that the real reward is the adventure! And the time spent with loved ones making cherished memories. In fact, when it comes to RV'ing and world travel, some of my fondest memories are the challenges faced when things didn't go as planned or expected.

Besides, I suspect if yaw do indeed follow through with your dreams, AND it turns out to be something you love, it won't be because of the perfect floorplan.

Good luck.
Spot on. Identify what's most important to you and make sure you get that. Figure out what's nice to have and make sure you get a few of those. Finally, list what you'd like to have, but aren't really necessities and be happy if you can get some of them too. Sometimes the things you think you want are actually mutually exclusive.
__________________
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,099
Great comments, especially regarding a propane generator. We had one in a previous Safari TREK Diesel, and it was a pain to constantly look for propane. And, a propane generator is really one converted from gasoline fuel, but the output is de-rated due to less power from propane. A 4000W Onan gas is only 3600W when using propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
IrishRifles, I am 6'3" tall, and I feel you pain! I have been around MH's for the last 30 years or so, and all have been Class A's! The first thing I do when looking at a MH, is go to the bathroom, and sit on the toilet, is there enough room for your legs? Then I get in the shower, is there enough room for your head and arms as you shower? Where does the shower head hit you? Can it be moved up? Lay down on the bed, is there enough room for you, or do your feet hang over? Can you pull the mattress away from the head of the bed 4"s or so to make it long enough? You are talking about the bed over the cab in a Class C, have you thought about making that bed? After all, it is in your living space! And getting it ready for sleep is another question? And you ask if the price the dealer gives you set in stone? NO, a big NO!! Take 30% of it as your first counter offer! You can always go up, you can never go lower! OK, as you look at the MH's on the lots, think very strongly about used, high end Diesel pushers! There are some very well loved, older used DP for sale at great prices! I just bought a very well loved DP 20 years old in great shape for under 20K! Has plenty of room, both couches are long enough for me to sleep on if I needed to! And the bed room bed is long enough for me also! I have plenty of room in the shower, and the toilet room( separate) with a solid door, has plenty of room also! It has two solid wood pocket doors, one at the bed room and one at the kitchen/bath room! So it has two solid doors between the bed room and the front living room! Both front captains chairs spin around and face the living room! One leather couch folds out into a bed! Also, it has a huge basement, with all kinds of storage!
You got your advice on the CG's, and will have to decide for yourself on what you guys like the best!
One more piece of advice, that you have not thought about, if you get a Diesel MH, a C or A, make sure it has a diesel generator, not a gas that is converted to propane! Very important! When you are running down the road, running the generator to power your A/C's and are comfortable, happy, knowing that the fuel gauge is how much you have for your generator too is very nice! And they last 4 to 5 times longer that the gas ones! Wondering about finding a place to fill your propane tank should be something you worry about once a year, not once a week or more! And remember that propane is heating your shower water, running your furnace, and fueling your stove, and running your fridge too, so if your generator is using it too, you get my drift? Hope this helps you make your mind up a little better? Good luck in your search!
Rail!
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,434
FWIW Do not underestimate the strength of the floor in the overhead part of a C. It is probably significantly stronger than the beds that go up and down. The top are of the cab is very strong the way it's made with channels for the wiring and windows and door frames. The span is short because of the overlaps. OTOH The mattress may be a PITA among other places. I'd look at a good quality camping air pad.
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 9,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRifles View Post
What about the camp sites, what are they like?

Are we talking a 'Cops' episode (trailer park trash), or are they decent people?

Are they full of permanent residents or are all mobile and move often?

Are they clean?

Are the camp hook up rates expensive?

And as I asked about price, are the RV prices negotiable?

Although a lot more expensive at the pump, is diesel better than gas?
The question you ask can be applied in parallel to staying in a hotel. Depends on the hotel!

We have found the RV lifestyle great. We go each year to the same park so we have established a group of friends who we consider family. If you are outgoing you will have no problem to quickly develop friendships that could last the rest of your life.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Watertown NY USA
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
My advice can be irritating to some, but I've learned this point of view over many years of watching OTHER people.

Don't burden yourself with the unrealistic expectation of finding the exact, perfect, absolute zero regret solution. Life will rarely present such.

Remember that the real reward is the adventure! And the time spent with loved ones making cherished memories. In fact, when it comes to RV'ing and world travel, some of my fondest memories are the challenges faced when things didn't go as planned or expected.

Besides, I suspect if yaw do indeed follow through with your dreams, AND it turns out to be something you love, it won't be because of the perfect floorplan.

Good luck.
Kind of like picking out the perfect wife? LOL
Before I bought my last camper (Class A) My wife and I sat down and made a list of what we did and did not want or need for options or amenities. The list of what we did not want or need was considerably longer than the did want list. Some of the systems on the high end models seem unnecessary and just plain troublesome.
The floor plan was not as big an issue for us as it appears to be to some folks. We can learn to adapt pretty well.
We ended up buying a used unit for a fair price with low miles and all the service records showed it had had excellent care.
Over the years we have had truck campers, tow behinds and a Class C MH. I guess I can say we liked them all even though some worked better for us than others.
The one preference I had was the shower not be in the same room with the toilet. Our MH is built with the toilet separate from the shower stall.
When we reach a destination we don't spend a whole lot of time inside the camper. It becomes a bedroom and a bath house. The rest of the time we are outside doing something.
Lynn
__________________

__________________
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 Minnie Winnie C Class - Deal or No Deal? wfcentral Class C Motorhome Discussions 8 12-01-2015 07:13 PM
2002 Minnie Winnie C Class - Deal or No Deal? wfcentral Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 2 11-20-2015 08:30 PM
First impressions after 5 real days on real roads davydee Excel Owner's Forum 36 08-24-2009 06:32 AM
Owning a NEWMAR "007" Newmar Owner's Forum 8 01-09-2009 03:09 AM
Tax Benefits for owning a camper Sharpshooter123 iRV2.com General Discussion 6 01-10-2006 05:02 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.