Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
The WAZE free GPS app lets other WAZE users ahead of you warn you of radar traps and police presence, accidents etc...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, most of the interstates in Ohio have raised the speed limits to 70MPH as of July 1st.

Also the Ohio turnpike (I-80) will raise it's tolls 2.7% per year the next 10 years....Doing the whole pike east to west pulling a tt will cost ya $33 today.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Besides all the other ways of checking your speed, Ohio uses aircraft flying above the highways. They have warning signs and big white hash marks along the roadway to measure your speed, then the patrol cars pull you over. A radar detector won't chirp or do anything.
The new 70 mph speed limit just means now in the space of a few miles near most Ohio cities you'll find the speed limits go from 70, to 65 to 60 or even 55. Guess where the police will sit? Pay attention and drive safely.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by frypanman View Post
Motoring W/B on I70 yesterday ( Sat , June 29 ) from the PA line to the IN line . Doing my normal 55/60 MHP towing my TT and constantly being nearly blown off the highway by passing semi trucks . With a little pacing I find they were averaging 75/85 MPH . During the entire time I did not see one truck pulled over by the SP . I did count 8 cars including one large MH stopped by the police ,apparently for traffic violations . ( that's after I began counting , there were a couple prior to my counting )
What's my point ? After spending 29 years in urban law enforcement , not doing too much traffic work at all I wonder why a major violator pool is not addressed .
Any observations by you frequent travelers ?
I live in Northeast Ohio now and in Ohio my whole life. The OSP will typically let you slide if you are less than 8-9 over, especially if you are in the flow of traffic. They are pretty good about not setting up speed traps and usually park in the median when using radar. Truckers talk to each other and inform each other where the Staties are, so it makes sense that they get pulled over less frequently. Also, out of state cars are the ones typically driving way over the limit because they don't know about the 8-9mph cushion.

I see that they put the new speed limit signs up last weekend. I drove 62-65 back from the Blue Ridge Parkway along most of I77 and people were doing 75+ most of the way.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfyanes View Post
The WAZE free GPS app lets other WAZE users ahead of you warn you of radar traps and police presence, accidents etc...
I use Waze whenever we're on a trip or when traffic is bad around home. I created a group for iRV2 members but it hasn't caught on . . . feel free to join and tell others. I thoght it might be helpful to connect with other RVer's on the road especially when headed to a rally.

I don't speed in the Rv so I'm not that concerned about radar traps but I find it helpful for traffic and road hazards, like vehicles stuck on the side of the road.

Just go to the groups section and search for "iRV2"
Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #34

There are two big factors that are missing in this thread, one is that OSP do target passenger cars with out of state plates, because they can hold you up for the fine plus cost and not let you go until they have it - unless you have legal representation on hand.
This is the other point. Many truckers these days have prepaid legal representation. If they get stopped, they give the trooper the card and they can't hold him. Plus, those legal-beagles play hard ball and the state has lost a lot.

We just drive OH as though it is our intent to impede the traffic flow. That is both fun and I know it annoys them.

Matt
Old 07-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
There are two big factors that are missing in this thread, one is that OSP do target passenger cars with out of state plates, because they can hold you up for the fine plus cost and not let you go until they have it - unless you have legal representation on hand.
This is the other point. Many truckers these days have prepaid legal representation. If they get stopped, they give the trooper the card and they can't hold him. Plus, those legal-beagles play hard ball and the state has lost a lot.

We just drive OH as though it is our intent to impede the traffic flow. That is both fun and I know it annoys them.

Matt
Are you saying that they want the fine paid during the stop? That is not my understanding how it works, but then again I have been fortunate enough not to have been fined by a state patrolman.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post

Matt
It sounds really strange that one could be held simply because they hadn't paid for legal representation(?) I wonder what it is that is printed on those cards the commercial drivers hand the LEO.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
I remember getting stopped in PA for speeding in about 1970. I was told to follow the state police off the Turnpike to a deserted strip mall, (It was about 11 pm) I was very afraid until we pulled behind it and saw a lighted doorway for an all night magistrate. I had to pay my fine and was then allowed to leave. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have the money or wanted to fight the ticket, I paid and left. I don't know that they do the same in OH, but that's what happened in PA 43 years ago.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
Are you saying that they want the fine paid during the stop? That is not my understanding how it works, but then again I have been fortunate enough not to have been fined by a state patrolman.
Maybe he's got Ohio mixed up with certain places South of the Border...
Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I believe I've heard of states that will take an out of state offender to a judge to settle up before they are allowed to leave, but avoiding that simply because one can show they have a lawyer on retainer for heaven knows what seems odd to me.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #40

Several years ago my late wife got a speeding ticket in Carbon County, Wyoming and the trooper told her she had a couple of choices: pay the fine by mailing it, appear in person or pay him directly. She chose to pay the trooper, all she had were Travelers Checks and not quite enough for the fine. Trooper said "that's close enough", took the signed Travelers Checks and said "have a nice day". She drove a little way down the highway and started getting mad when she realized what had just happened. Ticket never showed up on her record anywhere. I'll bet there's a retired Wyo trooper with a very nice, big home out there. My late wife was going to complain but I'm thinking it wouldn't have done much good, maybe even some harm if the ticket popped up......
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
I know from 2 personal experiences over the past 15 years, that in Nebraska and Colorado they hand you the ticket and you can pay by mail or credit card on the internet.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NEVER, EVER pay the fine on the side of the road. (The wyoming story above) and if you do and it does not show up, Mail the ticket (or rather a copy of it) to the press and let them take care of the idiot who will soon be in a different uniform.... One with strips and not of the chevron kind.

True story for you radar detector buffs... Co-worker of mine on my part time tells of running a bit late getting to work so he's kind of lead footing it.. Suddenly his fuzz buster goes from zero to FULL SCALE, he's been radared.. Looks in his rear view and there is the blue goose (Michigan State Police Patrol car) Nose down (Accelerating) Lights on, on the entrance ramp.. The steel reinforced concrete wall of the freeway blocking his fuzz buster's view of the patrol car radar. As he looses speed (Quickly) the pull around him and nail the taxi cab with the wired on license plate (Violation)... He wipes the sweat off his brow and starts picking up speed again, Finally gets up to about speed limit plus 10 when.... Again the Fuzz buster hits full scale all of a sudden.. And yup, there in the rearview is another blue Goose,, Same status... And .. Luckly for him, another taxi as well.

After that he did double nickles (55) the rest of the way to work.