Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #57

Guys; Guys; there are thousands and thousands of campgrounds out there, why get your undies in a not just because of a few that don't want you in there.
The air in there would most likely be so rancit you couldn't breath anyway.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

We have stayed at quite a number of Class A only resorts, including four months at one of those listed by Gary above. We always enjoyed it very much but don't consider ourselves the least bit snooty.

I believe a big factor is which demographic the resort is trying to cater to. Class A coaches most often seem to carry mature couples while families are to be found more often in other types of RVs. Generalizations to be sure but I believe overall it's an accurate observation.

Mature couples with newer Class A rigs are interested in having paddle ball/tennis available... fitness centers... libraries... a swimming pool and spa without kids doing cannon balls ... golf... and maybe even an on site beauty shop and masseuse. Families tend to look for facilities more geared toward the kids. IMO there's no problem with either. In our experience, the people we've met at these resorts are among the nicest we've met anywhere.

Yes it's nice not to be sandwiched in between pop ups and tents on sites which are housing 8 or more people "on vacation". Not because the coaches cost more than the PUs but because the type of vacationing being done is very different and maybe not compatible. It's important to realize that these places are NOT campgrounds. They are specialized resorts and to judge them by CG standards and expectations will lead to problems.

As pointed out by many, resorts are free to set their rules and we are all free to spend our money where we like but feelings of being discriminated against are a bit misplaced IMHO.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Also, RVIA, which sets the standards for RV's changed the designation for RV's to "Type" rather than "Class" around 2000. It's been slow to be adopted though.
How cool is that - I'm a Type A person driving a Type A MH.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We have stayed at quite a number of Class A only resorts, including four months at one of those listed by Gary above. We always enjoyed it very much but don't consider ourselves the least bit snooty.

I believe a big factor is which demographic the resort is trying to cater to. Class A coaches most often seem to carry mature couples while families are to be found more often in other types of RVs. Generalizations to be sure but I believe overall it's an accurate observation.

Mature couples with newer Class A rigs are interested in having paddle ball/tennis available... fitness centers... libraries... a swimming pool and spa without kids doing cannon balls ... golf... and maybe even an on site beauty shop and masseuse. Families tend to look for facilities more geared toward the kids. IMO there's no problem with either. In our experience, the people we've met at these resorts are among the nicest we've met anywhere.

Yes it's nice not to be sandwiched in between pop ups and tents on sites which are housing 8 or more people "on vacation". Not because the coaches cost more than the PUs but because the type of vacationing being done is very different and maybe not compatible. It's important to realize that these places are NOT campgrounds. They are specialized resorts and to judge them by CG standards and expectations will lead to problems.

As pointed out by many, resorts are free to set their rules and we are all free to spend our money where we like but feelings of being discriminated against are a bit misplaced IMHO.

Rick
I do believe this sum's it up very nice. I could not agree more, very well said. Some people are taking this personal and that is not the case. If these Resorts wasn't "exclusive" how would feel when you pulled up to register and found out the site fee was $95.00 a night! Like I said before, Wife and I stay a few nights a year at one to be a special occasion. Every one we have met was very nice and friendly. I didn't realize this is a problem for some.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

We too have never seen a Class A only resort which doesn't also have a restriction on the age of the unit so I don't think the reference to a beat up old Class A junker being preferable to a new Class C is valid. As mentioned many times, this age restriction is usually just a technicality the parks can use to keep out poorly maintained rigs.

Anyone who thinks a 10 year old coach wouldn't fit in with new, expensive rigs has never seen a vintage Foretravel.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Every winter on our way to south west Florida we stay at the Outdoor Resort Port St Lucie to visit my cousin. Many of the sites are owner occupied. Most are at least tag axle rigs, more than a few are Newells, Prevost and such. I think some folks are confusing clicks and long term neighbors as being snobby. We have probably spent 2 months there over the last five years, met alot of nice folks. Now I'm an out going type and will strike up a conversation with anyone that's still breathing. Combined with walking my American Bulldog Zeus twice a day, I run across quite a few people, I've never been treated rudely by anyone. Last year we hand a couple with a new Prevost park next to us in our 05 Discovery we stuck up a nice 2 week friendship exchanged email address's and keep in touch. Stick out a hand, smile and say hello, you'll be surprised how many smiles you'll get back. By the way we were just up at Katadin Shadows CG in Medway ME everything from tents to Prevost all great folks, it was pig roast week end.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
that grand sport ultra, now that is a rig to have. saw one the other day going down the road. I drooled. if I had the money I would have one of those. But on the other hand, I like my Ole'Koot. A Vintage we a go. anybody can park next to me, I don't care. just be nice. also we are alot of fun.

Outlaw
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Neighborhoods are built all over that have restrictions on the types of homes that maybe built in them. Some require a certain square footage, some require a certain style or that it be approved. There are restrictions or requirements on landscaping. Some are gated, some have guards. Do we have a problem with these? Why should RVs be any different?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #65

Years ago the concept of a Class A, Classy Resort may have made some sense. Although I was surprise when I was allowed into a park outside of Vail Colorado with my 36ft gasser when the park was almost filled with Provosts.
Today, with $500,000 super C's. With fantastic toy hauler trailers and with many long time RVers retiring into Euro style Bs, I think the all Class A business model is foolish.
That said: It is their business, their property, their investment, and their rules.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think back to the early days, 1987, of our having our first camper, We had a 22 ft Toyota micro-mini Class C and back then, even those having "full size", 25 to 29 ft Class C owners looked down their noses at us and our small unit. Had a good laugh when I pulled into one of the rare comercial parks we ever used when I saw a sign at the entrance that stated, "No Converted School Busses". I've often wondered if that wasn't the start of the "Class" problem.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Every winter on our way to south west Florida we stay at the Outdoor Resort Port St Lucie to visit my cousin. Many of the sites are owner occupied. Most are at least tag axle rigs, more than a few are Newells, Prevost and such. I think some folks are confusing clicks and long term neighbors as being snobby. We have probably spent 2 months there over the last five years, met alot of nice folks. Now I'm an out going type and will strike up a conversation with anyone that's still breathing. Combined with walking my American Bulldog Zeus twice a day, I run across quite a few people, I've never been treated rudely by anyone. Last year we hand a couple with a new Prevost park next to us in our 05 Discovery we stuck up a nice 2 week friendship exchanged email address's and keep in touch. Stick out a hand, smile and say hello, you'll be surprised how many smiles you'll get back. By the way we were just up at Katadin Shadows CG in Medway ME everything from tents to Prevost all great folks, it was pig roast week end.
You bet Hondo.

It ain't what you drive. It's who's driving it.

Don
Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
I would like to amend my thoughts on the folks at outdoor resorts st lucie. Up here in Well a coach pulled in net to me, the toad had a matching paint jjob. I knew they were from St Lucie. Went over and introduced myself and Zeus. Friendly at first then 2 of his fiends arrived wow he turned into a snob. So it seems as though the clique, buddy thing is the problem. Didn't say2 words to him the rest of his time here.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I would like to amend my thoughts on the folks at outdoor resorts st lucie. Up here in Well a coach pulled in net to me, the toad had a matching paint jjob. I knew they were from St Lucie. Went over and introduced myself and Zeus. Friendly at first then 2 of his fiends arrived wow he turned into a snob. So it seems as though the clique, buddy thing is the problem. Didn't say2 words to him the rest of his time here.
I take it he was not an IRV2 member.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #70

National RV Owners Club
I really don't agree with this practise. If you take a park with restrictions and change the words "motorhome type" for "skin colour" or "religion", you would be subject to all sorts of allegations of racism and even possible legal action. It may be a private business and they maybe make their own rules but if they feel the need to make those kinds of rules, then they are in the wrong business. If you are trying to cater to a particular demographic, then call it as such (ie, Over 55's what have you) rather than try to weed out people by what kind of RV they are driving. I would even be ok with have some rules around general condition but be it a Camper, Class C, Class B, 5th wheel, so long as it is in decent shape, it should be allowed.