Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
What's your Handle?

Sort of thinking about installing a CB radio. Not for bear reports but more for traffic reports and Jams. How many of you have one installed and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

It is certainly worth it when you are traveling in a caravan, or when you are sitting at a standstill on the Interstate wondering why traffic is stopped and how far it is backed up.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is under the back seat with a magnetic mount antenna and has not seen the light of day in about 7 or 8 years. When CB was a big thing, my handle TUMBLEWEEDS. If in caravan, we use FRS walkie talkies. If with another ham radio operator, we use 2m band...60 watts and a real antenna.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We always travel with the CB ON,channel 19....so if something is wrong with our MH or Toad,someone can call me.
We also like to know whats up when traffic stops or problems ahead.
For caravan travel we also have a Motorola FRS walkie talkie.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Have had a CB for many years in many RV's and tow vehicles. Still have one but I really only turn it on as required such as for traffic info or to communicate while in convoy mode. Just another tool in the box but much less important now that most people have, cell phones, tablets, traffic info with GPS apps etc.

Not certain if CH9 is really monitored by law enforcement anymore.

If I did not already have one, not certain I would buy one today.

We also have FRS radios.

Handle - couger1
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My favorite Handel would be "Messiah" ...
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It comes in handy every once and awhile, mine also has a weather radio built in.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #8

My handle was "Sparks" which was an old Navy term for the radio operator.

Back when CB radios were popular, I made my living selling, installing and servicing them. I had a very successful shop and sold thousands of base and mobile units. I ran our service department and have personally repaired well over 5,000 CB radios. I still have an old Cobra 132 SSB and a Tram Diamond 40, both of which were originally 23-channel radios. I modified them to be 40+ channels.

They are both in the basement of my stick house, where they will stay. There is so much profanity on 19 now that I would rather sit in a traffic jam in blissful silence rather than listen to all that crap.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
"CC" and I monitor 7 and 19. I am rewriting the "Longshoreman's Profanity Gazette" in three installments.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have them and use them and the language does not bother me at all neither does it bother Thom. They have helped us out of situations and helped us miss snipers on overpasses, we will continue to use them. As a matter of fact we are replacing the original one to the coach with a newer one here shortly.

Oh and those that I talk to on it just call me "Silly"
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have one in my RV, but I have never used it other than to determine its working. If I ever have an emergency, and my iPhone has no service, I'll turn it on. I assume it works better than using smoke signals, or shouting out the window for help. Other than that I have no interest in the thing.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
We have one which we use when traveling. It comes in handy sometimes. We monitor the "RV Channel 13", which is not always just RVers. The language is only slightly better on this channel, so keep the volume low. We usually get good road conditions. And it can be a benefit in emergencies. It also has a weather channel which helps also. Any additional communications available can only be a help. It's a free service, and one can always turn it off. Give us a shout, I'm known as, what else, "Chillbilly"!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #13

We just bought one in case of emergency more than anything else. There are still places in the eastern parts of the country with no cell phone signals. And we will both feel better having it with us on the planned cross country trip - if Old Leaky's roof doesn't cave in first.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #14

If you are just using it for traffic reports... get an iPhone and use the mapping applications.

They use other iPhones to report how fast the device is traveling and then update their mapping. It's works great if you are also using as a navigator, as you can just re-route around traffic areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traffic_demo.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	42107  
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote