Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's your opinion?

Had a "neighbor" the last few days one the opposite curb side. Every night they left their porch light on all night. First night, oh well, mistake made (done so myself). Second night; guess this isn't a mistake. Mind you, their coach has MCD shades, mine does not. Their porch light lights up my bedroom all night. Next day I asked him to please turn his light off at night. After a look like I had a fish head, he quietly walked away. That night not only the porch light, but security light too. Asked him again explaining it lights up my bedroom. That night no lights on, phew! I guess that night was their mistake because last night both lights on again. This morning they are gone. I went to the office explained the situation and asked that if they ever return to please not park them next to us. They made a note on their profile.

I don't get why some people feel the need to leave their outside lights on all night? It is not that the campground was empty, in fact it was quite full this past week. If they feel that unsafe in a campground, maybe they should stay in hotels rather than campgrounds. And what pleasure do they get out of annoying other people? I just don't get it.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi John, over time on here, there has been a ton of threads/posts about outdoor lighting being on all night long, even awning lights.........I could not imagine not having some kind of a shade in the bedroom windows.........why not install some.....?
I have had this happen, set bedroom temp. , close blind's.......life is good.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I think it's usually left on by mistake. I know I've done it, and enough times that I'm looking at the merits of the motion sensor style exterior light. Only thing that's stopped me so far is they only come white and I haven't found a paint match to my coach yet.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
When we had the Montana, I got some black foamboard at Hobby Lobby and cut out pieces to fit the bedroom windows behind the blinds/curtains. Worked like a charm. Unfortunately, you will always be next to the inconsiderate camper at some time.
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
You can pick up a "blackout" roller blind from Home Depot or Lowes custom cut for under $50. Easy install!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

His keeping on his light and adding the security light is known as passive aggressive behavior - "the indirect expression of hostility, such as through procrastination, sarcasm, stubbornness, sullenness, or deliberate or repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible."

You must recognize that you have no knowledge of who this person is or what they are capable of. It is well known that there are people with mental problems in all situations you may find yourself in...some very dangerous.

Your best response is to modify your RV so it will not bother you in the future. If you complain, you can assume they will retaliate, though not always, and you need to be in a position of avoiding them being able to to do childish things when they think they can get away with it...of course not in all cases...but it just takes the one...like road rage. So, you must always think clearly about the situations you find yourself in.

Your biggest mistake is to assume that they see things from your perspective, your rationalization, and they are one of your fellow rv peers that will respond to you in an appropriate manner similar to how you would respond... the in-group you assume you are in and they are also in is never what you think it is.

The key is to protect yourself if all situations. Trust is earned and so is friendship.

Human beings are considered the most dangerous animals on earth and civilization is like a paint job, just a patina that hides what lies beneath. Just because someone owns an rv doesn't make them whatever you think they are.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
His keeping on his light and adding the security light is known as passive aggressive behavior - "the indirect expression of hostility, such as through procrastination, sarcasm, stubbornness, sullenness, or deliberate or repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible."
Oh My Lord............., OP, You can consider yourself lucky, I think
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #8

Try aluminum foil on the windows. Quick, easy, disposable. Everyone uses it on their bedroom windows in Alaska, the land of 24 hour sun in the summer time....
Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have night shades in our bedroom, when they are closed and the bedroom slide door is closed it is dark with very little light coming in, we could sleep all day long an not even know it.

We go to dog shows so it is not uncommon for people to have high intensity lights so they can watch their dogs, which can happen early in the AM into the night and all hours in between.

Someone leaving their light on doesn't bother me as much as some sort of physical intrusion >> stuff in our camp site or generator blowing right at us. In situations like this I get very aggravated as some people have no courtesy for others.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That and having 100's of Christmas lights (unless @ Christmas time) on all night.Those that do, should pay using a meter of course. That bothers me more than the lights. We have ours on 5-9 timers.
Tim, JMO
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

Reflectix. Basically metalized bubble wrap. Blocks all light, reflects UV and IR as well as insulates. Stiff enough to slip up under the shades but can be rolled to store. Price not bad at Lowes or HD as they have small rolls. Comes in a couple of widths. Can do the same thing almost as well with pieces of similar material sold as a windshield sun block.

FWIW we keep a piece under both side windows in the Bedroom. She keeps the blinds down anyway and it lets us sleep in if we want. ;-)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #12

You did what you could, and that didn't work. Guess what? It will happen again at other CG's.

Our Montana had lame shades. Rhe MCD's on our Landmark make it totally dark. During our travels I have had the same hapoen to me also. Sometimes it's the campgrounds lights on their lightpoles that are at the exact right angle to light up our bedroom. Not much you can do about that, except take heed of the above posts and incorparate those practices in your coach.

I know it's a pain, but if you want to sleep it's probably best to eliminate the problem. Then you'll be a Happy Camper.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #13

I guess the OP never camps at Walmart. When it's bed time for us we close the curtains go to bed!! You can put search lights on my RV I could care less.

Russell.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
glad to know it is all my fault because I would rather have the option of opening a window for fresh air rather than give is to an [Moderator Edit] and seal it closed.

[Moderator Edit]

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote