Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Stand by my statement. Just heard an interview with the owner and I'll go with him on this as he says that he has the paperwork to justify the shipment and others. Actually other companies use the same woods. The Fact or Fiction piece sheds little new light on the case.

This is govt over reach and is destroying our economic base. No doubt some looney ecofreak bureaucrats are behind this one. Gibson is an American institution and will possibly shut down unless the heavy hand of govt can be removed.

Nick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interesting...what motive would a company the size of Gibson have for knowingly violating laws on importation? To make a few dollars?? I really doubt it. Gibson is one of the most successful guitar manufactures in the world and they didn't get there by cheating or bending the rules knowingly. As stated before, many other guitar makers use the same material and if this is all over a couple of mm in thickness it sure seems like a lot to do about nothing.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
10 millimeters = is a tad better than 3/8 of an inch (.39)
6 millimeters = a tad under 1/4" (.23) and these clowns of the government claim this is not veneer and a serious breech and constitutes smuggling. It looks to be a bit of a witch hunt to me.

Quote:
The exotics I get have a paper trail. The local stuff I can show fallen trees on my property and a saw mill. The laws in Canada are a little different than the US although I think they will get tougher here in time.

The US is the worst for this, Canada, Europe etc are much better.
When I mention a band I know having problems being threatened with confiscation at the border her response was
Quote:

The US border staff have a distinct absence of hamsters! They are threatening everything because they are too dumb to understand what is going on.

My instrument maker friends in the US are having a tough time - most collect lumber and have done for years and years, and consequently now don't have paperwork. The authorities are confiscating regardless. It is BS. The Luthiers guild and rallying to make a group protest which is gaining some ground.
This is from a girlfriend of ours who makes instruments as a working hobby. She claims that there is some skulduggery going on within your government.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #32
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
10 millimeters = is a tad better than 3/8 of an inch (.39)
6 millimeters = a tad under 1/4" (.23) and these clowns of the government claim this is not veneer and a serious breech and constitutes smuggling. It looks to be a bit of a witch hunt to me.

When I mention a band I know having problems being threatened with confiscation at the border her response was This is from a girlfriend of ours who makes instruments as a working hobby. She claims that there is some skulduggery going on within your government.
Somehow this doesn't surprise me at all. Something smells and it ain't blue cheese.....
Old 08-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #33

Lets all blame the government for the storm that just went up the east coast; after all it seems like folks blame the government for everything else;
Last time I checked the government was us; (right?)
Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Lets all blame the government for the storm that just went up the east coast; after all it seems like folks blame the government for everything else;
Last time I checked the government was us; (right?)
Right as rain!

And remember the ol' "Pogo" line from w-a-a-a-y back when?

"We have met the enemy and it is us"

Those darn Founding Fathers...cursing us with a Democracy!

Francesca
Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It ain't te government as I have always asserted it is the Bureaucracy between the over protective legislators an the common people. Bureaucracy is always looking for a way of manufacturing job security and its either do something to get in the news or create empires. I'm not sure which is worse.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #36

Dr. Seuss 2011... I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like his health care scam. I do not like these dirty crooks, or how they lie and cook the books. I do not like when Congress steals, I do not like their secret deals. I do not like ex-speaker Nan, I do not like this "yes we can". I do not like their spending spree, I'm smart, I know that nothing's free. I do not like their smug replies when I complain about their lies. I do not like this kind of "hope", I do not like it no, not, nope!

Time for a new American Revolution. Throw out all incumbents and start fresh.

RW
Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
well...
Can I keep my local Fire Commissioners?
I like them pretty well.
Oh-
And our Mayor, too.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #38

LOL! Absolutely. They're the ones who get things done even when the state boys or feds make it difficult. I have a friend who had an E3 (approved by the President) job in DC. The stories he could tell you about government waste and stupidity would ruin your day. Two solutions I suggest. 1) Stop spending our treasure on foreign wars that make no sense. 2) Stop spending our treasure on foreign wars that make no sense. Do these things and we can rebuild this country as well as start putting money in the bank instead of borrowing it.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi8622 View Post
Dr. Seuss 2011... I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like his health care scam. I do not like these dirty crooks, or how they lie and cook the books. I do not like when Congress steals, I do not like their secret deals. I do not like ex-speaker Nan, I do not like this "yes we can". I do not like their spending spree, I'm smart, I know that nothing's free. I do not like their smug replies when I complain about their lies. I do not like this kind of "hope", I do not like it no, not, nope!

Time for a new American Revolution. Throw out all incumbents and start fresh.

RW
Very good. Yours? I'm using this one.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Its name is "Scam I Am", and it's been circulating via those E-mail chains for about a year.
Ask me, I know!
I've gotten it at least three times from my Mother-in-law!

Francesca
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Seems very close to a political discussion JMO
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Its name is "Scam I Am", and it's been circulating via those E-mail chains for about a year.
Ask me, I know!
I've gotten it at least three times from my Mother-in-law!

Francesca
Great, now I feel old.

Hard to believe I haven't gotten it...except I don't have any email friends over 60 anymore. Used to get the ones that were forwarded about a hundred times, but those two fellows passed away.

Closed Thread