Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Your Insurance Coverage
Class A with Replacement Value Policy 89 30.17%
Class A with Actual Value Policy 80 27.12%
Class A with whatever insurance agent gave me 15 5.08%
Class A not enough value for replacement insurance 10 3.39%
Class A can not afford insurance 0 0%
Class A don't think insurance is needed 0 0%
Class B with Replacement Value Policy 1 0.34%
Class B with Actual Value Policy 2 0.68%
Class B with whatever insurance agent gave me 0 0%
Class B not enough value for replacement insurance 0 0%
Class B can not afford insurance 0 0%
Class B don't think insurance is needed 0 0%
Class C with Replacement Value Policy 16 5.42%
Class C with Actual Value Policy 11 3.73%
Class C with whatever insurance agent gave me 0 0%
Class C not enough value for replacement insurance 0 0%
Class C can not afford insurance 0 0%
Class C don't think insurance is needed 0 0%
TT with Replacement Value Policy 18 6.10%
TT with Actual Value Policy 8 2.71%
TT with whatever insurance agent gave me 3 1.02%
TT not enough value for replacement insurance 2 0.68%
TT can not afford insurance 1 0.34%
TT don't think insurance is needed 2 0.68%
Pop Up with Replacement Value Policy 0 0%
Pop Up with Actual Value Policy 0 0%
Pop Up with whatever insurance agent gave me 0 0%
Pop Up not enough value for replacement insurance 0 0%
Pop Up can not afford insurance 0 0%
Pop Up don't think insurance is needed 0 0%
5ver with Replacement Value Policy 11 3.73%
5ver with Actual Value Policy 6 2.03%
5ver with whatever insurance agent gave me 3 1.02%
5ver not enough value for replacement insurance 1 0.34%
5ver can not afford insurance 0 0%
5ver don't think insurance is needed 0 0%
Tent not needed 1 0.34%
No RV yet no opinion 13 4.41%
I don't do polls 0 0%
I have more than enough money not to need insurance 0 0%
Minimum Coverage 2 0.68%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,417
Changed to Allied through Miller Ins (from National General) and saved $1500. Pays to shop around! This was for three vehicles.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S Western Indiana
Posts: 825
We were paying $760 on a 1992 American Eagle. After hearing only the small amount a trade in would give us we felt this was pointless, they would total it anyway.


I went to just liability and its only $85 a year, we decided just save the money
and apply it against repairs if needed. So far I've been lucky hope it doesn't run out.
__________________

__________________
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
cb5300's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Like I said, I have everything I own insured thru State Farm, plus the Umbrella Covering everything. So maybe that makes a difference. So far none of my policies have gone up, with the exception of the MH, it went up $20 from the original first year quote. I have two houses(minimal change in one over 20 years, and the other no change after 4 years even though the value has increased) and several vehicles that have went down a few dollars, since what the insurance was at when brand new.


I would fully expect things to change a little over the years as liability issues and repair costs seem to be changing things that affect rates. I would never ask my Agent to sign anything like Triker suggests. All I can say is I have checked my rates to see if anything else out there can beat it, and they can't. I would say my Agent is being honest with me based on what he knows today, and being a long term customer that hasn't jumped around with Insurance companies on every new purchase, I highly doubt he is going to lie to me and ruin that relationship. I still think $890 a year on a brand new MH with replacement coverage was reasonable. They could have way over quoted it and forced me to look elsewhere but so far they have kept my rates on everything fairly reasonable.
Reasonable??? I'd say more like unbelievable. I've had State Farm run numbers every year and they are NEVER in the ball park. I'm wondering what you are using as your base to determine your value for the replacement. I know that on my 2008 Sig the insurance company took my MSRP (almost 700K) and worked from that, and as I added equipment to the coach (two satellite systems) then my base was increased. Long store short I've never been able to find the same coverage that I have now for $890/yr. heck that wouldn't even be a quarterly price.
__________________
Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Reasonable??? I'd say more like unbelievable. I've had State Farm run numbers every year and they are NEVER in the ball park. I'm wondering what you are using as your base to determine your value for the replacement. I know that on my 2008 Sig the insurance company took my MSRP (almost 700K) and worked from that, and as I added equipment to the coach (two satellite systems) then my base was increased. Long store short I've never been able to find the same coverage that I have now for $890/yr. heck that wouldn't even be a quarterly price.
If you're talking about my MH, the rate is based on the MSRP of $170K, so I don't see where you think it's unbelievable , do the math your MH base was 700k, so yes the insurance could be almost 4x as much depending on rates in your area. I have no reason to lie or embellish, I don't work for State Farm ( or anyone else for that matter), all I'm doing is putting out what I pay to help others decide, you never know unless you check. I guess I could always send you a copy of my policy if you really doubt it, but you can go into any State Farm office and they will give you a quote based on the MSRP and your driving record, which always helps...no tickets, claims, or accidents in over 40 years with them.
__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
HavingABlast's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,004
Mike and Cha,

I've been insured through SF for 45 yrs. We have house and 3 car coverage. Because of agent retirement, we are on our third agent. When I asked our current agent for a quote for our MH he came back with something about twice what you are reporting. I was not interested in switching from SF. I may just have to switch agents. It appears that the agent writing the policy can affect the premium.




2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (on order), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox
__________________
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Mike and Cha,

I've been insured through SF for 45 yrs. We have house and 3 car coverage. Because of agent retirement, we are on our third agent. When I asked our current agent for a quote for our MH he came back with something about twice what you are reporting. I was not interested in switching from SF. I may just have to switch agents. It appears that the agent writing the policy can affect the premium.




2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (on order), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox
I'm not sure how much difference they can make on pricing, but I do know they can vary widely on service. So maybe you live in an area where the insurance is higher, or we get more discounts as we have three cars, a motorcycle, the MH, three houses, and an umbrella policy thru them. Also a good agent will help you to structure the policy to best meet your needs. As I stated before we have never had a claim that went against our policy, so with that we went with the $1000 deductible. Also we never even thought of the replacement cost policy until they explained it to us and showed us the price difference which wasn't very much considering if they had to replace it. But your MH may be twice the value of mine, which wouldn't account for twice the price, but definitely more. All I know is I have high coverages on mine, replacement cost, $1000 deductible, plus the Umbrella, and it's $890 a year.

When my original Agent retired it took us going thru two different Agents before we found one that gave us similar service and actually discussed all our policies with us. But none of them are as good as the one that retired.
__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
HavingABlast's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I'm not sure how much difference they can make on pricing, but I do know they can vary widely on service. So maybe you live in an area where the insurance is higher, or we get more discounts as we have three cars, a motorcycle, the MH, three houses, and an umbrella policy thru them. Also a good agent will help you to structure the policy to best meet your needs. As I stated before we have never had a claim that went against our policy, so with that we went with the $1000 deductible. Also we never even thought of the replacement cost policy until they explained it to us and showed us the price difference which wasn't very much considering if they had to replace it. But your MH may be twice the value of mine, which wouldn't account for twice the price, but definitely more. All I know is I have high coverages on mine, replacement cost, $1000 deductible, plus the Umbrella, and it's $890 a year.

When my original Agent retired it took us going thru two different Agents before we found one that gave us similar service and actually discussed all our policies with us. But none of them are as good as the one that retired.

We live just north of San Diego. That may affect the premium. I understand that the MSRP will have an impact as well. I was waffling on the deductible. Cannot get face time with our current SF agent...only his "mini-me".

BTW... We used the same dealer for our purchases...Tom Lindstrom. A first class operation!!!


2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (on order), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox
__________________
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:13 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
We live just north of San Diego. That may affect the premium. I understand that the MSRP will have an impact as well. I was waffling on the deductible. Cannot get face time with our current SF agent...only his "mini-me".

BTW... We used the same dealer for our purchases...Tom Lindstrom. A first class operation!!!


2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (on order), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox
I originally thought the $1000 deductible was a little high, but it really made a difference in the yearly cost. I guess I just figure with what we have invested in the MH, $1000 is no big deal if we have a significant type damage, and what we save yearly will most likely make up for any small repairs we would pay out of pocket if needed. Knock on wood, so far we've had it a little over a year with no damages.

As far as Tom Lindstrom I agree he is the best, and he does run a first class operation. Some people think I'm exaggerating when I tell them how top notch and honest Tom is, but once they contact him they really understand. I have referred 5 people so far to him who have bought. If we ever decide to move up to the Ventanna, I hope he is still around as we will definitely buy from him again. We stop in just to see him every once in a while, and we are 70 miles away from his shop.
__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Lynnda Butler's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 21
I have had Overland Insurance for the past three years......great people when you call...actually talk to a live person. Very helpful, answer questions and were the best rate of all companies called.
__________________
Lynnda Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
davedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5
I work for Farmers and we handle a lot of travel trailer and RV's through Farmers as an endorsement onto your vehicles, or we write them through Foremost and they are very competitive.

If anyone has any questions I might be able to answer for you shoot me a message or post any questions up here. Will help best I can.
__________________
davedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8
We are going full time RV... With no home. Looking for a reliable company that will give us replacement costs and an umbrella policy too... Also have two vehicles an ATV and two utility trailers, Any suggestions?
__________________
barbhldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
davedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5
What state are you in?

From my experience you won't be able to find an umbrella policy without having a homeowners policy to adhere it to. There might be some smaller brokerages that can do it, but I have yet to find a company in CA to place that kind of insurance. Just go for the highest liability limits offered by the RV policy that will be your best bet.
__________________
davedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
rogerkk's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
RV Insurance

Interesting RV insurance note:


Reference Allied (Nationwide) RV Insurance, I found an interesting paragraph in my policy when reading through it that was not discussed when the policy was purchased.


PHYSICAL DAMAGE COVERAGE EXCLUSIONS, ITEM NUMBER 27. QUOTE "TO YOUR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE WHILE IN THE CUSTODY OF A PERSON OTHER THAN YOURSELF OR A RELATIVE FOR THE PURPOSE OF SELLING, RENTING, OR LEASING YOUR VEHICLE." UNQUOTE. (My emphasis added).


When asked, an agent explained the insurance would not be in force for physical damage to the RV while on an RV dealers lot, or being driven by a prospective buyer, even for one of the big national recognized dealers such as PPL.
__________________
Marilyn & Roger | Tiffin Allegro Bay 34XB
Ham Radio K0YY | USAF Retired
Home Base Evergreen, CO
rogerkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
franktr's Avatar
 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: League City Texas soon to be Austin
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedog View Post
I work for Farmers and we handle a lot of travel trailer and RV's through Farmers as an endorsement onto your vehicles, or we write them through Foremost and they are very competitive.

If anyone has any questions I might be able to answer for you shoot me a message or post any questions up here. Will help best I can.
I have my two cars and home with Farmers here in Texas. As I am still shopping I asked for a quote on a Fleetwood cast of $80000 full coverage and quoted $1250 per year. Sounds high to me.
__________________

__________________
franktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV / Motorhome insurance JEFFOH Class A Motorhome Discussions 22 09-28-2015 07:37 PM
Out Of Country Health Insurance pops2 Full-Timers 6 10-01-2014 07:56 AM
Auto Insurance in Canada Djwhitesr Navigation, Routes & Roads 5 08-21-2014 01:49 PM
Private health insurance alternative deefromlv Full-Timers 4 07-11-2014 11:05 AM
Health insurance supplement insurance jacks647 iRV2.com General Discussion 29 04-16-2014 06:18 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.