Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #15

Quote:
then he took a pair of channel lock pliers to pry the real cap off (the one that is sealing the contents of the battery).
And that is the key to making a successful claim. Shouldn't need special tools to water a battery that is designed to be watered.

Let us know how it turns out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Status Update

I wrote up an email last night to the service manager explaining the situation and included photos of the batteries. This morning I got an email apologizing for the situation and that they've already ordered me new batteries for replacement. They took full responsibility for the situation without question.

I'll post another update once the new batteries are installed in my RV. Thank you to everyone for your replies to this.

bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #17

On the voltage issue; is your battery charger programmed/set to AGM? The charge voltage is higher than for conventional wet cells.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What should you do short term: Complain to the owner of the shop where the distilled water was added.

2:Make sure your charger is set up for AGM (IF that is it has the ability to set it up that way not all do, option 2 is flooded wet cell).

3: Try them and see if they work... You might get lucky and find they are not seriously damaged.... Or not.

What should you do long term:

Replace them (more than likely) I would recommend flooded wet cell over AGM due to cost but with FWC you do need to add distilled from time to time.

Set up converter (If possible) for the new batteries

Keep them at least half full and when they are run down QUICKLY get a re-charge going.. Do not let them sit there in a state of discharge for months on end.

If your converter is single stage .. Upgrade to 3 stage.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #19

Once finished it looks like management is standing up to their quality.

This may warrant a decent review if management shows training will be performed.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #20
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
On the voltage issue; is your battery charger programmed/set to AGM? The charge voltage is higher than for conventional wet cells.
The more I keep reading the forums the more I keep learning about the technology. It was a month or two *after* I got my RV that in reading about inverters/chargers and battery types and all, I said, oh wow, let me go see how mine is setup. Well, wouldn't you know it, the configuration wasn't setup for AGM so I corrected it at the time.

I'm about to replace my Xantrex MSW inverter to a Magnum 3000. I'll be sure that is properly configured as well for the AGM's.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do most newer inverter/chargers have a setting for agm's? Is it usually a switch or do you have to program it?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Do most newer inverter/chargers have a setting for agm's? Is it usually a switch or do you have to program it?
On ours with the remote it's just a change in the setting on the remote.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post

The more I keep reading the forums the more I keep learning about the technology. It was a month or two *after* I got my RV that in reading about inverters/chargers and battery types and all, I said, oh wow, let me go see how mine is setup. Well, wouldn't you know it, the configuration wasn't setup for AGM so I corrected it at the time.

I'm about to replace my Xantrex MSW inverter to a Magnum 3000. I'll be sure that is properly configured as well for the AGM's.
These should be helpful.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 2)

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #24

When are AGM's not AGM's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Had my RV serviced today at an authorized Spartan service center and had what they called M1 service performed (basically 41 things to go over plus oil, filters, grease, etc.).

What is scary is thinking about how many other coaches he has done this to and what other systems does he not understand? I paid for this same inspection and ended up with parts I suspect I didn't need, reasonable hourly rate but exorbitant hours, and changing a belt at the side of the road myself that they never mentioned.

I have been to several service facilities since buying my coach last year and have no confidence in any of them. Where are the competent, reliable ones?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #25
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Status Update 2

The shop got back to me today and gave me more good news. They said the NAPA Specialty batteries I got from the dealer when purchasing the RV are hard to get so they're just going to upgrade me to Trojan GC2's. The yellow highlighted ones are what they're getting me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trojan Battery Groups.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	73650  
Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #26
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
What is scary is thinking about how many other coaches he has done this to and what other systems does he not understand? I paid for this same inspection and ended up with parts I suspect I didn't need, reasonable hourly rate but exorbitant hours, and changing a belt at the side of the road myself that they never mentioned.

I have been to several service facilities since buying my coach last year and have no confidence in any of them. Where are the competent, reliable ones?
All the other service he performed went very well. At least no "extra" things were discovered other than two tail light bulbs weren't working. Standard filters were changed, genset was serviced (filters, etc.) and that was it. All seemed reasonable until he came to me with that bit about the batteries.

The shop is totally standing behind their work so whatever they did internally for this issue I may or may not find out. I feel given the response they're coming back with, customer satisfaction is a major goal of theirs.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #27

People make mistakes, to me it is more important how they deal with them afterwards, it good to see you are being taken care of

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
The Magnum units have two settings for AGM batteries. Setting 1 is for Lifeline and 2 is for all other batteries!