Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
WHEN does my TPO roof need a recoating?

I've read numerous discussions on how to recoat a rubber roof. I have a 2005 TPO roofed motorhome. It is a little splotchy. By that, I mean after a thorough cleaning by yours truly, it is 80% white, and the rest of it has stains on it. However, I don't see any rips or whatnot. HOW does one test to see if the roof needs to be replaced by a liquid rubber roof or not? I've seen a lot of posts, but no one tells me WHEN it is time to throw in the towel on an old roof and install a liquid re-roofing product. Can anyone tell me, based on knowledge, when a TPO roof needs to be replaced or covered with a refoofing product?

Thanks for any advice you can give me, especially if it is based on some facts.

BTW, the sealant/caulking on this roof is in terrible shape. Some is old, hard as a rock and cracked. Some has some kind of coating that just fluffs away after being touched by hand, or hosed down. I intend to take off any that is loose and use Dicor 501 sealant to cover what's left, because Dicor says that a TPO roof older than 2011 will accept this product. If other places look like an Eternabond tape would work better, I'll use that.
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #2

It never does, it's polyethylene. Not much will stick to it. The RV is much more useful when u go inside.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
The RV is much more useful when u go inside.
LOL. I like that! My wife tells me the same thing. She even says it will be more fun if we drive it somewhere.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Just clean the roof with soap and water and bleach. Rinse it well then leave it alone. DO address the failing caulk/sealant. Roof does not require any coatings.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I just want to thank everyone, and not just those who took the time to send me advice on this issue, for all the help and advice I've received over the past several months. Where I reside, there just don't seem to be many (any) motorhome owners, and I'm new to this, so, once again, THANKS GUYS.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Greetings All
I am new to the forum but have read several links about TPO re coating and I keep seeing things posted that ask folks "why would you want to recoat a TPO roof?" And "it does not require recoating "

Forgive my ignorance, as I just acquired a 2006 toy hauler with a not so well maintain roof. According the Dicor website, I was able to determine it is a TPO.
Now, I have found the following up on this roof: acrylic caulk, silicone, and what appears to be that spray on crud used to seal gutters or a screen door used as the bottom of a boat ��
I have also located (3) punctures from what looks like falling branches.
I am in the process of removing everything from the roof to reseal all vents/ac unit/sewer caps and am planning to patch the holes with eternabond.
This is where I was thinking a re-coating would benefit as I don't know what I can't see.
Thoughts? If you agree with re-coating, what would/have you used?
Thank you for the time
C Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should inspect all sealants every 6 months. Nothing extra needs to be done to the membrane itself unless you want to put some 303 on it. That's all I ever did with the BriteTek roofing on our '02 Dutch Star and after 13 years it still looked close to new.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #8

TPO roofs are Thermoplastic polyolefin and most common mastics won't stick. Those that do are 2 part for TPO roofs. I'm not even sure there even is a roof coating for use with TPO and if there was one how it would effect the physical and chemical properties of TPO.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I took our 10 year old TPO roof off. The fabric was just fine but the air conditoner leaked and ruined the sheeting.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #10

Welcome!

The membrane doesn't need coating. Tears need sealing, but that's it.

What is your RV?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:38 AM   #11

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Welcome!

The membrane doesn't need coating. Tears need sealing, but that's it.

What is your RV?
I have a 21' Rage'n toy hauler, primarily used for antique shows we sell/camp at. (A nice step up from our enclosed trailer with a Murphy bed, and port-a-johns near by )

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it!! And am feeling better about the roof. It seems solid overall, just not very pretty, but is better with a cleaning of simple green.
C Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #12

Excellent. I am new to this RV'ing stuff also and have just confirmed, replacing a leaking skylight, that I have a TPO roof on my toy hauler. Integrity is fine(no tears) and I was wondering same thing about cleaning and re-sealing. Gotta love this forum!
Thanks!
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #13

Use the two part dicor mastic for sealing TPO roofs.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #14

I have a TPO roof and I called DICOR corporation and talked to their service rep. She told me to just wash the roof 2-3 times a year, with soap and water, and then reseal if necessary with Dicor 501.

I asked her the life span on the roof and she said it would last the lifetime of the coach. I then said what does that mean, and she said it doesn't need any coating/recoatings except the edges that meet at the terminator strips.

So I stripped all my all caulking/sealant way on the whole roof and replaced with new Dicor 501.

The main thing to remember about Dicor 501 is to ensure the tube is at least 85 degrees or more. That is because it is self leveling and want spread out very far if it is colder than that, before it sets up.

So to answer you question, Dicor Corporation, who told me they made my TPO roof, said the roof will last as long as the motorhome. I guess she assumes we take good care of our stuff.

Tags
roof