RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #1

When running on 12v and propane...

How do you recharge your battery if you need to use the heater more than 1.5 nights when running on propane and 12v? Turn truck or generator on for a few hrs with a battery smart charger?

Daren8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Since my generator is propane, I conserve propane and keep heater low. If, after 1.5 days my 16 gal propane tank is low I find a spot to refill. Since engine’s diesel tanks are larger, if charging batteries with engine on, I also run chassis heat to conserve propane. Let us know what works for you!

Egghead4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #3

Depending on battery state of charge when you start and amps of the charge , re-charge can take 6+ hours.
Options are charge the battery before it gets to low on charge and/or increase the battery capacity , by adding a second.
Info on a lot of 12 volt systems at this site.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

BTW: Adding all the info about your RV will help , members give better advice.
Is it a pop-up as in your avatar picture .
Old 05-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #4

When running on 12v and propane...

Yes jayco eagle 10 pop up trailer! Thanks for the article about batteries but nothing about that said how you recharge them while running on 12v and propane? Or did I miss something?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #5

Do I need to run the vehicle to charge the battery or do I need a generator? Or am I missing how that battery gets recharged while out camping if I need to use the heater more than 1 night. With one battery
Old 05-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
As you have learned a furnace fan is a real 12 v power hog.

Options include:
1) add more battery capacity, only good up to a limit. You still have to recharge. Even with a quality 3 stage charger it can takes many hours of generator time to recharge everyday. What a pain and expense.

2)Install a properly designed solar system. We have done that and now our batteries (four 6 volt) are fully recharged by about 10am. Life is good.

3)Propane furnaces are also waste a lots of heat (propane). So we have installed an interior propane radiant heater. Approved for indoor use in an RV. Must still open a ceiling vent and a window to allow moisture out. They are 100% percent efficient and use zero electrical power. We NEVER sleep with it on. I also have multiple propane and CO alarms in the RV.

So with a combination of choices we stay warm without burning through lots of propane or generator fuel and enjoy a quite experience.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #7

I thought that the charge rate time table was on that site

I must have seen it elsewhere; I'll see if I can track it down .

Camping in a spot without power a generator is the best option keeps the fuel use and noise down.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 PM   #8

Sweet thanks I actually just heard Costco has a generator for 500 yamaha 2000 Iím going to get it I only need to run it for a few hrs we drink around the fire til 12 by 7 the sun is out
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #9

Here's a charge chart for batteries giving the state of charge and the charge time required at different rates of charge.
Others available online if this isn't what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charging time chart.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	203647  
Old 05-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Charge rate for your battery(ies): Battery capacity in amp/hr divided by 10 is ok, divided by 8 is about as fast as you'd want to go.

Example: 100 amp.hr battery, charge between 10 and 12.5 amps. A ten amp battery charger would be great for this job.

10 amps at twelve volts is one amp at 120 volts. This would be a very small generator, if they made one this small, and if you consider portable solar panels like I did, they pretty much do, but it won't work for everyone every time.

A small, quiet 1000 watt inverter generator and a three or four stage battery charger would provide power for charging your batteries and run your fridge, lights, and maybe a TV at the same time. A small generator running for a few hours would fully recharge a battery that was half discharged. A set of solar panels that provided 150-200 watts peak in full sunlight without a cloud in the sky could also recharge a 100 amp hr battery pretty well, and silently.

Having more storage means that you have more total energy available, but if you run it down, you have to charge it. 200 amp hrs total worth of batteries can charge at 20 to 25 amps, and that takes a better three or four stage charger, but could still be done with a small 1000 watt generator.

Only running your batteries down to no more than 50% State of Charge (SoC) will help them last longer. You won't damage a true deep cycle battery a noticeable amount by running it nearly dead once or twice, but do it many times and it will not last as long. This is why I like solar panels so much. When the sun comes up, they start charging, and if I move them a couple times a day, they will keep charging until the sun goes down.

Most of this stuff ain't rocket science, and my father in law is a rocket scientist, and he told me so. A little bit of basic math and battery knowledge can go a long way though.

Tags
propane