Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
When to buy RV

Looking to purchase a used 5th wheel. Is it worth waiting for the end of the season, Sept or Oct, thinking more units will be offered for sale at better prices?

History: Our 1998, 33 ft Alpenlite was totaled in a windstorm in June. We are retired but not ready to give up rv'ing.

bharlan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Someone had told me that demand for travel trailers\5th wheels is highest in the spring, and demand for motorhomes is highest in the fall.

With that said, we bought our motorhome in June when we were ready, and we were able to take advantage of a model year update. We purchased a 2014 on the lot for what I felt was a good price compared to the 2015's the dealer had on order and wanted to make room for.

In Central IL where I am you might have more luck dealing in the dead of winter when not much inventory is moving, but I'd also be willing to guess you could get that same price in July if you are a firm negotiator.

Not sure if that really helped much. Best of luck to you in your search!

OnDaRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
From past experience and having now owned 8 RV's, the best time is when you find one you like, go for it.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Probably a bit better deal with the next year models out in the fall......then there's the thought - can you get a better deal at the end of the month when the dealership and salesman are struggling to meet or beat their quotas.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
I agree with Don. There are good prices and bad at any time. Selection is best in the spring when buying is most active. I have never seen the introduction of new models play any significant part in the prices for used RVs, only new ones. I would start to shop now and just plan to shop until you find something you like for an acceptable price, whenever that happens to be.
Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Every day you wait is a day you have not been camping or RV'ing. That must be worth something more than the few dollars you might save by waiting. A good deal is where both parties think they have received the best price.

If you find something that fits you IMO you should buy it if you can afford it. If you wait it will likely be gone when you think the price is coming down.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
We bought in January and feel got a good deal. Probably could have got the same anytime though. Who knows? We bought January 15 and camped January 30 for the first time in 2010.
2010 Dutchmen Sport 27B
2008 Dodge Ram 6.7 Diesel Quadcab SRW Longbed
Myself, dh, two kids and a dog
Csillybug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by bharlan2001 View Post
Looking to purchase a used 5th wheel. Is it worth waiting for the end of the season, Sept or Oct, thinking more units will be offered for sale at better prices?
Probably depends on where you live. Here in the south, RVs seem to sell pretty much year round. If you are in North Dakota, the dealerships might be dealing more as winter approaches. (Just speculation on my part; I really have no idea. )

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote