Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
When to de-winterize

We're planning on leaving for the warm desert in about a week. Since we live near Cincinnati and have cold winters, the RV was winterized. It's supposed to get above freezing and stay there for a week or so now. My question is; should I de-winterize now - before we leave, or do it on the road? If on the road, what do you do about dumping the water tank and flushing it to clean and disinfect it?

I chose a southern route that will put us south of Nashville the 1st night and then keep us out of the mountains and hopefully cold weather as we head west.

Thanks for your advise!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #2

I would unwinterize at home for sure. We will be heading south from Canada to wards the end of January and I am considering unwinterizing even though our first stop will only be as far south as Walton Kentucky. If temps are not far below freezing you wont have anything to worry about. If temps drop far below freezing, make sure you have a heat source for the water compartment ie light bulb, furnace. We have a ceramic heater in the water compartment that comes on automatically when temps drop to freezing.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Paul & Mary Beth (stegosaurus):

Hi from Casa Grande, AZ. HEY!!...if YOU find "warm weather", will ya let the rest of us know where ?

It's freezin in Florida, freezin in Texas, freezin in Arizona....well.....maybe not "freezing", but it's not what ya might think of as....warm.

Have a great trip.

Steve & Lynette
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Warm Weather

Hello Lynette and Steve, we have warm weather here in South BC, the LOWER MAINLAND. Over Christmas it was above 50 F. It's getting a bit lower by now, but the lawn had a sprinkle of snow this morning. Looks great and by NOON it will be gone!? Just b4 Christmas the DW put the last bulbs in the garden....

RVgreetings
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Paul & Mary Beth (stegosaurus):

Hi from Casa Grande, AZ. HEY!!...if YOU find "warm weather", will ya let the rest of us know where ?

It's freezin in Florida, freezin in Texas, freezin in Arizona....well.....maybe not "freezing", but it's not what ya might think of as....warm.

Have a great trip.

Steve & Lynette
Rain and 50s today for highs in Cave Creek, AZ. And we have head colds!
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we went to FL. last January via Nappanee,IN. for a few days I de-winterized day before New Years with temps in 30's made it to IN. and it was 1* for the three days spent there.
Third day headed south to FL. and three days travel had 30* weather with snow to Tenn. & GA.
Had the furnace running from day of de-winterized to FL. and everything was toasty in our Newmar.
You should be able to do the same with your Monaco, safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #7

Personally, I would de-winterize when the risk of freezing has passed. I usually, kept some water for the toilet, as the tank will not freeze that easily and you can add some antifreeze as needed. You could also use bottled water for cooking and cleaning, as the drain lines are quite a bit larger than the water lines and you can simply add some antifreeze after you let the water down the drain.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Well.. if you leaving between now and Saturday, it'll be well above freezing so you could do it now if you wanted and be in even warmer temps fairly quickly after leaving...After Sat, it'll be too cold at night, but you could still do it just before you leave...

5 Day Weather Forecast and Conditions for Cincinnati
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks everyone. I'll take a chance and do it here where i can get resources if needed. It was above freezing here 7 miles south of Cincinnati today and it's drizzling. i got the MH out of storage and have it at home ready to outfit for the trip. Monacoach, you'll be in our backyard about 10 miles south of my home so the weather should be up and down. It could be 60 or -20 the around here. The roads are wide open with no red barrels on I-75 over there now

safe travels to all of you!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If it is supposed to get above freezing wait until it does then go ahead and de winterize. Then just keep heat on until you get to warmer climates.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
paz

I agree with those who say de-winterize before you leave. It will be less hassle. Even if the temperature dips below freezing once or twice before you leave, just leave turn the furnace on and set to 50, and you should be fine. You can also run the furnace while driving if it's cold.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #12

newbee in florida --daytona beach--it s going down to 29 tonight --will be normal next mornishould i winterize motorhome today
Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot
newbee in florida --daytona beach--it s going down to 29 tonight --will be normal next mornishould i winterize motorhome today
No you will be just fine. Take it from someone from Missouri, it has to STAY below freezing for about 3 days straight before you would have to worry.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot
No your fine. Has to STAY below freezing for about 3 days before anything will freeze. Even a bowl of water left outside tonight won't freeze.