Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #15

I do not own any tire covers.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YosemiteBobR View Post
Do you cover your daily driver?
Yes, its called a garage.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
I afraid I only cover them if I'm storing it. I'm rarely in one place over two weeks. As long as your tires are getting exercise there is no reason to really cover them any sooner. Do you cover your daily driver?
No but I might if they cost $500-$700 each and they timed out before I wore them out.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Yes, its called a garage.
Ok, I was waiting for an answer like that. I don't store my daily in a garage in fact it is left outside year round, I' live on a ranch, it gets a lot of heavy use and work, (I have a F550 pickup) it is a 2011 model. The tires on it or almost, except for some tread ware, as good as the day I got them 5 years ago. No cracking or checks. This truck is constantly used, which to me proves I don't need to cover my MH all the time. The cost of my daily driver tires is the same as my MH tires.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I afraid I only cover them if I'm storing it. I'm rarely in one place over two weeks. As long as your tires are getting exercise there is no reason to really cover them any sooner. Do you cover your daily driver?

Bob, I don't quite understand your thinking on this. If the sun's UV rays are what does the damage, what would exercising them have to do with it?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Bob, I don't quite understand your thinking on this. If the sun's UV rays are what does the damage, what would exercising them have to do with it?
Ultraviolet light: Yes, a reported factor in tire deterioration is ultraviolet light. This comes from the sun and its energy causes chemical changes within the rubber. It is not entirely clear to me exactly how important UV damage is, but some of us try to cover our tires when parked anyway including me. One of the additives to tires is a wax that blocks UV light. But to be effective, the compound must work it's way to the surface of the sidewall of the tire. This happens when the sidewall is flexed and heated during normal driving. But it does not get replenished to the surface when the tire is sitting still. Since only a small percentage of RVs have tire covers, there are a large number of outside dual tires with UV damage. This should result in a higher frequency of outside dual tire failure. However, it is reported that the inside dual fails more often then the outside (probably because it carries more weight due to road crowning). I can only say, my ranch truck has never seen any deterioration, it is 5 years old, and it has never been covered, my MH, does get covered while it is setting waiting for me to take it traveling. So far, this theory has worked, for me anyway. I have never seen any tests done for this however.

So during manufacturing, antiozonants and antioxidant chemical compounds are added as well as the wax. These appear to slow the oxidative process. But they get used up in the process of neutralizing the oxidants. They also seem to work better when the tire is flexed and heated during use.

It's kind of like the old addage " Use it or lose it"

Now if you are thinking why do I even cover my tires, you might be right, as the process will happen regardless what you do covered or not. I still go with the covered when not in use.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:30 AM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"YosemiteBobR" gave a good response. When tires are moving, the compounds within the tires, keep them supple. It's the sitting in the sun for long periods of time that kills them.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"YosemiteBobR" gave a good response. When tires are moving, the compounds within the tires, keep them supple. It's the sitting in the sun for long periods of time that kills them.
To me, this begs the question "How long is a long period of time"?
Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We haven't been able to get away for more than two weeks for years now so I don't even take them. While at home they're covered.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
To me, this begs the question "How long is a long period of time"?
I'm not answering for anyone, but I can say there are too many variables for a question like that dealing with tires. How one drives, how they are inflated, where do you live, climate including heat, moisture, cold, How is the alignment on all six points, what type of roads do you drive, this can go on and on. I can tell you how old the earth is thats a long time, but "How long is a long period of time", yes, I can say, 70 years is a long time to me. All these things and more, will have an effect on "How long". It's just not that simple.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"ghoticov".....A long period of time would be more than three weeks to a month.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote