Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
When to quit?

This year has been challenging driving my rig due to progressive osteoarthritis and lumbago.. I am having trouble turning my head to right and left when I come to intersections. To compensate, I twist in my seat to see and that aggravates my lower back. My wife has noticed I am losing mobility and walking much more slowly. My doc said in 3-4 years I will not be able to drive or walk normally. Getting old is no fun. Have others experienced anything like this?

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Only the privileged people who get to old age. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

no i'm not experiencing anything like that yet and hope I never do and I would hate to think I had to give up something I love doing. Can't your wife drive the RV?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

can i be the first to be a but holes and ask can i have your Rv LOL

i am jking .. but truth.. it was the first to pop in to my mind

you could install a few LCDs and cams on the dash to help you see more to get one more year

but i hope it gets better
Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I quit driving (unless an absolute emergency) on my own. I know I just can't do it anymore. Hard to turn my head, dizzy at times. Luckily I still have a Thom that does the driving and fixing things for me. Been dealing with progressively worse medical things for the last 23 yrs. I wish I could still do what I could even 10 yrs ago but I have (finally) realized that I just can't do things the way I did before.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

When my Dad lost most of his eyesight due to macular degeneration, they downgraded from a Class A to a smaller Class C so my Mom could do the driving. She never liked driving the A, and this move brought them another 6 years of RV'ing.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some people, regardless of age, have these issues and find that none standard American health approaches help. Things like yoga, tai chi, acupuncture and certain foods make a difference. It may not completely alleviate the problem but reduces its affect and elevates the quality of life. There's a lot of info out there now and increased interest even online. I've seen classes advertised for increasing range of motion and balance for older people along these lines.
As far as when to quit, that's a decision you have to make considering safety for yourself and others. If you find something like the above that really helps them no don't stop. Main thing is be honest with yourself and don't make some love one have to make the decision for you. That's just makes it more difficult for everyone.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #8

When you have your next close call, stop and think how you could of avoided it. The clue is--you probably really need to adjust your driving totally. Too many close calls can only lead to a crash and we don't want to see that. Yes, its horrible to think about quitting but you will know when it has to be.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #9

"Growing old ain't for sissies". Katherin Hepburn :-) :-)
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Coconut oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
This year has been challenging driving my rig due to progressive osteoarthritis and lumbago.. I am having trouble turning my head to right and left when I come to intersections. To compensate, I twist in my seat to see and that aggravates my lower back. My wife has noticed I am losing mobility and walking much more slowly. My doc said in 3-4 years I will not be able to drive or walk normally. Getting old is no fun. Have others experienced anything like this?
May I inject this for all to read as it has helped me greatly and for those of you who are contemplating old age in your future this is also a preventative. I shall post a couple of links and then a full list for those who wish a quick read... Enjoy!
BTW I have used it the last 20 years and have nothing but praise for all its benefits and believe me they are myriad

This is something that will augment any medical treatment and will never interfere with meds.
Don't forget to 'bend and stretch ...
Reach for the sky!

Dr. Joseph Mercola: Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You

Coconut Oil Benefits: The Fat That Ignites An Explosion Of Health Benefits

This is from coconutresearchcenter.org:

Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
Helps protect against osteoporosis.
Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
Improves digestion and bowel function.
Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
Reduces inflammation.
Supports tissue healing and repair.
Supports and aids immune system function.
Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
Functions as a protective antioxidant.
Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
Reduces epileptic seizures.
Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
Dissolves kidney stones.
Helps prevent liver disease.
Is lower in calories than all other fats.
Supports thyroid function.
Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.
Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.
Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
Helps control dandruff.
Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
Is completely non-toxic to humans.
See Research to read some of the published studies regarding the above mentioned uses of coconut products.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is time to quit when:

1. It is no longer fun
2. When your driving is a threat/danger to yourself or others
and you do not have someone else to drive your vehicle.
3. When your doctor recommends it.
4. When family members ask you to stop so they can be closer to you.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
For what it is worth. I am slowly becoming more and more disabled each year.

My darling wife is taking on more and more of the driving and setting up. I now set up the inside,(less work) and she sets up the outside. I drive a few hours and she drives the rest.

She also has taken over the fixing and maintenance. I help by explaining how and handing her tools.

We move less often now but we are still moving.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for comments and suggestions. None of us ever think it will happen to me, but something does for most of us, sooner or later. We went to see my wife's 93 year old mom this week and it was not good. Sleeps in her chair all day, has to be fed, taken to bathroom. Not aware of anything around her. She may know my wife, but not sure. No quality of life. Depressing.
Am giving thought to teaching wife to drive rv! I would probably need to upgrade suspension with trac bar and stronger shocks for her to drive it. I have learned how to live with it after doing the weight and tire pressure adjustment, plus having it realigned and new ball joints with shims helped tremendously. It still is affected by passing semi's and strong wind gusts.
My wife is a fidgety driver constantly twisting and turning in her seat, leaning forward, pushing back, fiddling with radio, blowing her nose, snacking and constantly asking me what is the speed limit. When I am driving I don't talk or listen to radio and she normally reads her Ipad and writes to friends. When she drives the car she turns on radio and then starts talking nonstop. I brought it to her attention again yesterday and she said she needed me to keep her alert and aware of all the turns and speed limits for the trip to her mothers and back that we have done for 42 years. She refuses to drive in the Northern VA and DC 495
beltways, too much stress. I can understand that part, because it is not fun and very challenging even for me. We went 11 miles in 41 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic and it was not even rush hour yesterday around Gainsville VA on 66 and then 29 south. Too many people, too much construction. I can not imagine rush hour.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Your wife may not have the same driving style as you.

If she is a safe driver, it really doesn't matter.

It is still better than permanently parking the rig.

Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped