Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2007, 02:09 AM   #15

I totaly agree with the CDL. I have a CDL and think as you that the training and skill needed to pass a CDL is needed to drive some of these big rigs. In our case when we have the car trailer in tow we are 58 feet long and close to 50,000 pounds total. Well into CDL country for a commercial driver. Remember that big rigs are limited in most cases to 80,000 pounds. I vote yes on drivers tests for bigger RV's

Brad & Lucy & ala the Geezer & the Hedgehog
1990 Foretravel Detroit Deisel
Kitty Kat: Earl
Car trailer with Whitey Ford the Explorer
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:10 AM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I would be OK with a higher class of license for larger rigs.

I vote NO on a CDL for RV's for 2 reasons.

1. Mail forwarding services are not usable for a CDL address. You must have a "normal" address.

2. A CDL would move RVs closer to commercial vehicles along with all the restrictions on them.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A CDL would move RVs closer to commercial vehicles along with all the restrictions on them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dirk, that is why I listed it as an additional license or endorsement.

But when you think of it, the "Hours of service" part/terms of the CDL are applicable in all types of driving.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

I think what Don is saying has merit,with a major clarification needed, based on the last two posts...

Several States have indeed gone to special licensing for operators of RV's with gross weights above 26K pounds, with THIS caveat...

They require NON COMMERCIAL type licenses, which are somewhat different than their "commercial" counterparts...

From my days in the Fire Department I still carry a VA Class A CDL which gives me air brake endorsement...

I will jump on the bandwagon with regard to requiring licenses for those that operate vehicles heavier than 26,000 pounds....
These vehicles require skills and driving practices very different than driving the family mini-van!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #19

Texas has two groups of licenses, commercial and NON-COMMERCIAL.

The non-commercial group includes class C, class B, Class A

in simple terms...

class C is a car

class B is
a vehicle or vehicle/trailer combo where the total gross is over 26,000 lbs BUT the trailer (if there is one) has a gross of less than 10,000 lbs.

Class A is
a vehicle or vehicle/trailer combo where the total gross is over 26,000 lbs AND the trailer is over 10,000 lbs gross.

If you drive an RV (single unit or combo) in Texas that is over 26,0000 pounds you need a class A or class B.

If the RV has air brakes there is an "Air-brake endorsement" appended to the license.

NONE OF THESE ARE CDL'S !!!! (commercial driver license)
The Texas CDL is a CDL-A or CDL-B
No RV in Texas requires the CDL. The CDL is the paid driver, log-books, ICC regs, must stop at scales, ..... all that stuff.

Bottom line is that if you have an RV over 26,000 lbs combined gross weight you cannot legally drive it with a standard class C license.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:13 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem is that a lot of folks feel that the right to drive is a God given right and not an earned right.

Truth is you should have to demonstrate that you have the physical ability as well as the smarts to drive on the roads. Now it takes considerably more skill to drive a larger rig than a normal car or pick up. I do not have any problem with being ask to demonstrate the ability to safely drive something larger than my car.

But there are those that will drive until you pry the keys from their cold and dead hands. People are lead to believe (by the RV sales people and the truck sales people) that as long as it has a trailer hitch on it, all you have to do is hook up and go...never mind the laws regarding lengths, weights and so forth.

And I just noticed that from the signature, looks like Robert is a fairly new HAM.....or anew call sign. Congrats.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #21

Thanks Ken,
Yes I got my technician ticket in April, then my General in July. I also just got my VE certificate and am in state R.A.C.E.S. I guess you could say I just jumped into the deep end right away, but I'm county and regional Emergency Mangement and also a L.E.O. I've been teaching in service training for years, so the VE was no big thing.

I'm really enjoying HAM radio. A friend gave me a 24 year old HF radio in great shape(Yaesu FT-77) for the house. I bought a new FT 1802 2m. I've got a 60 foot tower with a 2m vertical, 2m beam, and an all-band SGC SG-103 wire dipole at home. Also have a dual-band FT-7800 in the truck. I've logged about 25 HF contacts in the states, one in South America, and several QSO's with Hawaii. The old 100 watt HF (no amplifier) is doing good even with the poor band conditions.

Robert
Old 09-27-2007, 06:52 AM   #22

Ken,
Distance-wise We probably could work each other on 80 meters or 40 meters. My radio does not have 160 meter or 60 meter capabilities.

Robert
Old 09-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

Traveling around various locales and campgrounds in the past year or so as a full-timer I truly HAVE seen those things that make ya kinda scratch your head...

Some folks just don't seem to take into consideration the added skills it takes to operate something usually 15 to 20 feet LONGER and usually anywhere from 5 to 8 feet taller than the family car they drive every day, LET ALONE the WEIGHT factor as related to reaction time and stopping distances...

A byproduct of this discussion would be for those folks that have never had their coach weighed, to have that done as well.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #24

In Ca. when towing "doubles" a Class A is required.

In most, if not all states, driving is a privlege, not a right.

Unfortunately, (although I agree with alot of the statements made in this thread) currently there is no testing required for common sense. So there will continue to be a small portion of RVers who drive in an unsafe manner and or with an unsafe load.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed-Deb:

In most, if no there is no testing required for common sense.

Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And why is it called "Common Sense" if it so UN-COMMON.....
, But I had to ask.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #26

I agree with Don. Also, Bob, here in Ohio firemen are exempt from a CDL requirement to drive a firetruck. I've had a full CDL since their beginning here in Ohio, but let my hazmat go last renewel.

04 Everest 343L, 07 Chevy 3500 SRW,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
R.G.Wise is offline   Reply With Quote