Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #1

Yesterday on Hwy 481 (skinny two lane 70 MPH Farm to Market backroad) in Texas saw a rig headed towards Eagle Pass. It was a diesel pusher motor home with a Hummer AND a Jeep in tow. Besides being illegal (over lenght and one too many units being towed) it was handling like a drunk centipeed on the rough narrow road. Maybe they took it into Mexico where there are many waiting to hijack those types of vehicles (the hummer & jeep). Highway Patrol was a few miles in front of them, so maybe they did'nt make it to the border.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #2

Yesterday on Hwy 481 (skinny two lane 70 MPH Farm to Market backroad) in Texas saw a rig headed towards Eagle Pass. It was a diesel pusher motor home with a Hummer AND a Jeep in tow. Besides being illegal (over lenght and one too many units being towed) it was handling like a drunk centipeed on the rough narrow road. Maybe they took it into Mexico where there are many waiting to hijack those types of vehicles (the hummer & jeep). Highway Patrol was a few miles in front of them, so maybe they did'nt make it to the border.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Robert,

As a LEO, I'd like your opinion on this subject. I've seen a number of overlength and/or double-ball-towed rigs such as you describe here in Texas, including the Interstates. For instance, an F-150 pulling a TT pulling a Jeep. Given this, is enforcement of length and other towing infractions committed by non-commercial vehicles somewhat lax here in Texas? Heck, I've entertained the thought of pulling a motorcycle trailer behind my 5th wheel in Texas, but I believe the length would be borderline at best.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #4

Rusty,

Yes I would rate the enforcement as "Lax" in Texas. The most strict agency / officer would be a "Texas DPS Weights and Measure Trooper". Second most strict would be a regular DPS State Trooper, (AKA highway patrol). Understand that the "weights & measure troopers" have a very specific assignment to work mainly commercial trucking for weight, measure, logbook violations, ect... but rv's way beyond the limits are fair game to them and to any LEO. I think the magic word would be SAFETY.

Mostly what gets RV people stopped is a rig so flagrantly in violation that everyone it passes does a double-take and says ??? you have got to be kidding!?

You should not draw much attention with a bike trailer behind a fiver, even if you are a few inches or feet over limit and, although technically a violation for lenght, you would probably never get stopped because it is not drawing everyone's attention as "danger! Keep your loved one away! This is a Fool!".

If we get too many of these flagrant violations of RV's parading all over the highways, then the agencies will be pressured to up their enforcement to all. The old saying goes, A few bad apples spoil the whole barrel. It makes me mad to see the occasional idiot rig such as I saw yesterday. I get mad not because I'm a LEO, but because I'm an Rver and that guy is making all RVers look dangerous. It was a wreck waiting to happen.

Law enforcement, as a whole, will react to things, vehicles, persons,or actions that are dangerous to the public. Drive a rig like I observed yesterday, and it will draw attention and hopefully enforcement will intercede before someone is hurt.

Robert

EDIT
In Texas if the first trailer is a fiver or gooseneck, a second trailer can be pulled legally if maximum lenght is not violated. It is not legal to pull two bumper pull trailers of any length. Nor is it leagal to have a vehicle pull a towed vehicle, pulling another towed vehicle ( Motor home...hummer...jeep)
Old 09-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Robert,

Thanks for your valued input. I appreciate it.

Rusty
Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #6

The Saturday after Labor Day I saw an older gas Class A towing an F-150 towing a trailer with two waverunners on the trailer. He was on I-25 heading north near Cheyenne, WY

I wonder how much over the length limit he was as well as over the Gross weight limits on his gasser ( I would guess the whole weight of the F-150)...

He was driving 70 mph and weaving in and out of traffic as if he were driving a sporty convertable ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Last week on I-10 west bound out of Houston there was an F350 with a 35 5th wheel towing a 4 door Jeep. Scary.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
The Saturday after Labor Day I saw an older gas Class A towing an F-150 towing a trailer with two waverunners on the trailer. He was on I-25 heading north near Cheyenne, WY

I wonder how much over the length limit he was as well as over the Gross weight limits on his gasser ( I would guess the whole weight of the F-150)...

He was driving 70 mph and weaving in and out of traffic as if he were driving a sporty convertable ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HOLY COW!! I know that road and it has a section
before you get to the stateline that is extremely windy. I would like to think that idiot was just towing a friend a few miles to
the filling station for some unfortunate reason.
Otherwise, I'd say pure stupidity!
cameo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #9

I'm curious- what is the lentgh limit in Texas?
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
65' - see HERE

Rusty
Old 09-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #11

Rusty answered before I could and is correct. That is a very good link also.

All the legal mumbo-jumbo is in chapter 621 of the Transportation Code. good reading and I promise it will give you a headache
Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #12

65' max (in most cases, here in Cali also) The other day I read about a guy who confidently uses a 3500 to pull a 36' Mobil Suites (heavy fiver) with a 14' box trailer behind that. Swell!
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No one ever said you had to be smart to buy an RV...just enough money or good credit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #14

The 65' limit is a Federal standard.

I am fixing to stir up a hornets nest with my next statement...... But when you put it into the safety perspective yow will understand my reasoning..

Personally I feel that ANY vehicle over 26,000 pounds, Motor home over 30 feet long or trailer tow vehicle combination where the trailer is over 30 feet long being used in a non-commercial context should require a additional license or endorsement.

I say this because of the systems and skills required to drive such a vehicle are very same as required as a commercial vehicle of similar weight. As in length, weight, steering systems and braking systems.

A commercial driver has to take written tests on these systems. They also have to pass a test where they demonstrate they have the skills required to operate said vehicles. This test consists of a road test along with driving a obstacle course of sorts. The course consists of maneuvering in tight spaces, backing and the knowledge of checking the various systems.

In my opinion if you are going to drive a vehicle with air brakes for example, you should be able to demonstrate you know how the systems work. Also how to operate the larger vehicles safely.

I am sure my opinion will not be popular. But in my opinion the roadways would be safer for all of us.

I drove a "Day Cab" with a flat bed trailer commercially for a bit back when I was 18 years old. It was required for the job I had back then. I also drove for a race team on my days off up until the mid 80's. This was back when there was no CDL, all you needed was a "Chauffeurs License". In the mid 80's was when the CDL was instituted.

I recently decided to get a Class "A" CDL. Me being me..... I went and took the written test before getting a "CDL Training Manual". I figured if I did not pass I could easily read a manual and pass the test within the 30 days you have to re-test after failing sections of the test. Well I passed all the written tests required for the Class "A" CDL. Well that brought up another problem.... I then had 2 months to pass the skills test by a certified "Third party testing facility". That meant a had to drive a "Big Rig" (18 wheeler) for the tests. (I don't own a 18 wheeler) So I rented one from the testing facility. Re-familiarized/practiced with driving a rig like that for about 15-20 minutes. Then took the tests. Guess what???? I passed with flying colors. Kinda like riding a bike. You don't forget how, you just get a little rusty....

I think it would not be difficult to modify the testing procedure to fit skills/knowledge testing for large RV's. Again, it would make the roads safer for us all.....

Now what is YOUR opinion?????