Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #29
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
You're right. I neglected to say they were not flush. I proofread the blinkin' thing more than once, but missed that omission each time. My apologies.
I do agree with what you said later - not being flush is a quality issue that could indicate they are not paying attention to details.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
My question is were all of the slots lined up with the same orientation besides being set properly? According to a friend that is a sign of workmanship.

It appears this has nothing to do with the designers or engineers just the person who screwed the screws in.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm surprised they used flat head screws since they can't be driven with an air or electric driver.
I don't get this comment either. Flat heads power-drive as well as pan heads. Power-driving works better with Roberts (square), Torx or Phillips than slot types, but flat screws are available in all those drive types, and in a variety of sizes as wsell. I use phillips and square drive flat head screws all the time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't get this comment either. Flat heads power-drive as well as pan heads. Power-driving works better with Roberts (square), Torx or Phillips than slot types, but flat screws are available in all those drive types, and in a variety of sizes as wsell. I use phillips and square drive flat head screws all the time.
I assumed flat head meant they were slotted which tend to no hold the bit.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #33

A factor not mentioned yet, is the fact most production line screw guns are equipped with a clutch designed/set so as not to strip screws inadvertently.

If the hole were too small in the metal this screw is going through, or the material behind the metal too hard, the clutch is going to release prior to the screw being completely driven - flush.

Plenty of blame to go around if that's the case....
Old 08-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I expect most of the screws used are on a strip/magazine that feeds through the screw gun rather than being hand fed. Should not make a difference what type they are.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #35

Ok, after seeing this thread go on for the last couple days, I had to get up off my rear, walk 10' and look at the shower door on our 2015 Tiffin gasser to see what the big concern is all about. Because of course, I had never noticed / paid any attention as to what type of screws hold the shower door.

Yep, it has flat head screws holding the door frame to the side shower stall, while the all the other ones are round head.

I (still) couldn't care less.....
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #36

If I'm visualizing this correctly then flat head screws are intended to be set in a metal frame with counter sunk holes. If using flat head screws and the metal frame does not have counter sunk holes the screw will not seat flush with the metal frame and are likely to "catch" stuff like clothes or skin.

Perhaps I'm not visualizing this correctly but if the above is correct then I would say this is poor workmanship, especially since it takes no more time to use the correct screws.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Ok, after seeing this thread go on for the last couple days, I had to get up off my rear, walk 10' and look at the shower door on our 2015 Tiffin gasser to see what the big concern is all about. Because of course, I had never noticed / paid any attention as to what type of screws hold the shower door.

Yep, it has flat head screws holding the door frame to the side shower stall, while the all the other ones are round head.

I (still) couldn't care less.....
Not everyone will care. Those that know and appreciate craftsmanship when they see it would be more inclined.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
If I'm visualizing this correctly then flat head screws are intended to be set in a metal frame with counter sunk holes. If using flat head screws and the metal frame does not have counter sunk holes the screw will not seat flush with the metal frame and are likely to "catch" stuff like clothes or skin.

Perhaps I'm not visualizing this correctly but if the above is correct then I would say this is poor workmanship, especially since it takes no more time to use the correct screws.

That is the way flat head screws were installed for the past few hundred years. In the current throw-away, couldn't care less mindset, workmanship is out the window. I still wonder if the screws are used in other places nearby, and the assembler just uses the same fasteners for everything to save a few seconds per day.

I would like to see a photo of the offending screws.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Not everyone will care. Those that know and appreciate craftsmanship when they see it would be more inclined.
In fact, as an engineer by degree, I have a very high appreciation of engineering, design, and craftsmanship. However, I have grown to have a very low tolerance of "new Motorhomes are POSs" and the incredible lengths of nit picking people go to.

After taking a second look, on my shower door I see 6 screws that are flatheads holding the sides (3 screws per side) of the door frame to the stall. There is no way anyone could catch thier clothes, a finger, or anything on them. We've used our coach for over 6 months on the road in the 18 months we have owned it, and I never noitced them until this thread came up.

On the hinge side, it appears to me that a round head may interfere with the door opening, but I agree that a round head would seem to be a more logical choice for a screw, if not on both sides, at least on the other, but I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over it, and call new coaches a pos because of it. How about I pick on strings breaking in your day / night shades........?

Old Porsche guys are the same way, "new Porsches are not like the old hand built ones". They are right, the new ones are so much better in just about every practical way, but they can't see it because they don't want to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	137741  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #40

Here is the hinge side, and you may be able to see where a round head may create a clearance problem when the door swings all the way open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	137742  
Old 09-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #41

"Not everyone will care. Those that know and appreciate craftsmanship when they see it would be more inclined"

That's a pretty passive aggressive statement. Apparently we don't all care, or for that matter even know, about quality products.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #42

Geez... I hope that comment doesn't come off as elitist. That's certainly not in the spirit it was meant.

It was written as a response to "I couldn't care less".

My intention was to state that not all will see/look at details like that, or possibly even realize a different type/style screw for that application might be better. By that I mean, there is no doubt I am being picky. Because something WORKS, does not always make it RIGHT.

If for whatever reason that screw is deemed as a necessary evil due to a production issue - then spec. that hinge to include the countersunk screw holes intended for use with that screw. I'm pretty sure that door is purchased in enough volume to make it worth the door manf's time to accommodate.

Tags
engine