Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Where are we????????

I had a thought the other day about what would happen if I or my wife needed the paramedics in the middle of the night while we were traveling and called 911 and we weren't able to thell them where we were. I could most likely figure it out in a few minutes but in an emergency minutes are very important. Plus I'm not sure who picks up my 911 call from my cell phone. The person picking up the call may or may not be familiar with where Billy Bobs RV Park is located. Even if they know where it is some of the parks are very large with a lot of nooks and crannies so they would also need to know the spot we're in.
My solution was to place a white board inside the cupbord door above the sink. Once we arrive at a spot I'll write the name, address and spot number on the white board so it will be there day or night.

Not sure how original this idea is but I feel better.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #2

Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great idea. We take the papers we get at check in and clip them inside a cabinet just about the driver's seat but I'm sure we would be scrambling to read the fine print in an emergency.

As to who answers your 911 call from your cell phone... we found out during an emergency last fall. We were set up at a CG in Redding, Ca visiting my son. Around 4pm, someone began pounding on the door of our coach.

The family in the site next to us had arrived in their 40DP about an hour earlier. It was a Mexican family... two twenty something ladies, two little ones... and a couple in their 70's. They were traveling in a 40DP that looked like it had seen some hard times recently with scratches, dings, dents etc. One of the worst I had ever seen.

It seems the young ladies had taken the little ones and gone shopping. The grand parents (who didn't speak English) had come out of the coach to sit outside and the ailing man had gone down like a sack of potatoes and was completely unresponsive.

I called 911 and was connected to a local dispatcher who was very familiar with the CG and we got help there within about 3 minutes. I was able to contact the young ladies and had them meet him at the hospital. He was taken away and we never did hear the outcome.

Not sure if the 911 system is like this coast to coast. We have a member who is a retired 911 dispatcher and hopefully he'll chime in and enlighten us.

Recalling this story reminds me that I SWORE that I was going to get CPR training after that happened... and I still haven't.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In MA if you dial 911 from a cell phone you will get the State Police, so you do need to be able to tell them where you are. In fact most 911 calls go to regional call centers. We use our GPS, which has a "where am I?" feature. It gives nearest intersection and lat & long. When we stop for the night and turn the unit off, we try to remember to write the info down if we do not know the town and street info already. Stay calm - 911 operators are trained to take these calls.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
It is my understanding that all modern cell phones (even cheap ones) have gps location capabilities, and transmit that automatically to 911 dispatchers. So even if you dial 911 and don't say a word, they can find you.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Most of the time where we camp, I use LAT/LON or the Mile post and road system we are on to let people know our location. There are no street addresses to give.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
It is my understanding that all modern cell phones (even cheap ones) have gps location capabilities, and transmit that automatically to 911 dispatchers. So even if you dial 911 and don't say a word, they can find you.
Not quite. The best they can do is tell the cell towers you are close to. If there are enough they may be able to "triangulate' your location within a reasonable distance. This takes time, so knowing where you are is a lot safer.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
That story is hilarious!

So ... to be prepared ... make sure all catboxes are the enclosed kind with only one entry, and face that entry toward the BACK of the MH! That way if an emergency stop causes dumpus interruptus, they will smack against the catbox cover and still be inside it!

LOL!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Not quite. The best they can do is tell the cell towers you are close to. If there are enough they may be able to "triangulate' your location within a reasonable distance. This takes time, so knowing where you are is a lot safer.
Upon further research, I came across the following:

Quote:
E911 Phase 2
  • 95% of a [wireless] network operator's in-service phones must be E911 compliant ("location capable") by December 31, 2005. (Several carriers missed this deadline, and were fined by the FCC.[4])
  • Wireless network operators must provide the latitude and longitude of callers within 300 meters, within six minutes of a request by a PSAP.[5] Accuracy rates must meet FCC standards on average within any given participating PSAP service area by September 11, 2012 (deferred from September 11, 2008).[6]
So... maybe so, maybe not. Depends on your phone and your carrier. All of em are supposed to do it by September of this year, but I wouldn't count on it. Best know your position and hope you can articulate it clearly when you need to.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The best they can do is tell the cell towers you are close to. If there are enough they may be able to "triangulate' your location within a reasonable distance.
That is old info - before cheap gps chips were placed in nearly all phones. Triangulation of cell towers does not even meet FCC specs for 911 location outside of metro areas - there aren't enough towers to triangulate anything in much of the rural US. Phones with gps chips are very accurate - often down to a few yards. You can check it on any smart phone with a location app.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is not 100% true. http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/cellping.asp
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most phones today have built in GPS, even if it's not a smart phone (You may not be able to access) Many 9-1-1 centers are "Enhanced" You want to know what "Enhanced 9-1-1" is.

Well, it means they can read the GPS in your phone and figure out where you are.

Of course, the 9-1-1 center I worked in, I kept begging and begging the boss to go enhanced, at the time Michigan had a neat little law that all those 9-1-1 fees collected by all the phone companies in the country went to the FIRST enhanced center.

Did they enhance.. As of last time I visited the office.. NO, of course someone else did it , so they got the money.

At least they did (Finally) put in caller ID (Basic, number only)