Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

Where can I find a manual transfer switch???

I'm installing a few solar panels on the MH, have the combiner box built, have the inverter, charge controller, all the cables and fuses and everything I need except a transfer swtich. My inverter has an automatic transfer switch built in but its only 15 amp(1800 Watt, pure sine wave) so I don't want to run the whole panel through it. It's only 30 amp service and would handle everything except the A/C. I can run it through the inverter for now but I def need a transfer switch if I want to be able to run the A/C when it gets hot.
I checked Lowes and Home Depot and no luck there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not understanding what you are trying to do. Normal hook up is directly from the controller to the battery bank, not to the inverter.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

The solar has nothing to do with the inverter, I just happen to be installing them both at the same time. The AC output of the inverter goes to the breaker panel. I need a tranfer switch for the shore power side of the breaker panel.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Manual transfer switch or service disconnect, same thing, Home Depot.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

Dude at Home Depot today said nope. Does what you're talking about have 2 power inlets and 1 power outlet? I need to be able to select between shore power or inverter for incoming power and one outlet to the breaker panel. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #6

Normal configuration is for shore power to feed a main breaker box. Inverter/charger along with AC, 110v water heater, microwave, refigerator heating element, an outlet that doesn't go through inverter for space heater are all powered from the main breaker panel. All other loads are on the inverter sub panel.
Much easier that way.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #7

No need for a sub panel when I can power everything but the A/C from the inverter. There aren't that many AC loads on a Class C. And I dont have an inverter/charger, I have a converter. The inverter is stand alone on the other side of the MH directly off the battery bank.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bob, from the generator install a 120 vac, 30 amp receptacle in the compartment that the shore power cord will plug into. When you want to power coach from generator just plug the shore power cord into it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #9

What does this have to do with a transfer switch for the inverter? Are you saying to use the current transfer switch for the genny and shore power and replace the genny leads with the inverter? If I were to do that(if that's what you mean) I'm still left with the issue of all the AC(on shore power or generator) going through the auto transfer switch on the inverter before being fed back to the breaker panel. I need to be able to isolate the inverter when the air cond is going to be on. Don't want to send 30 amps through a 15 amp transfer switch on the inverter. Thanks for the input. If I misinterpreted what you meant I'm sorry, could you please clarify?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Find a place like a good electronics store that will sell you a 30a 250v rated DPDT switch.

Look at Toggle Switch, Maintained, DPDT, 30A - Toggle Switches - Switches - 2TPE7 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Good luck
George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #11

Bob,
If I understand what you are trying to do....

Go to Blue Sea's web site and you will find the switch you are looking for:

Blue Sea Systems

When you find the switch goole the part number and you will find where to buy it.
Or go to:

Fisheries Supply

They are stocking dealers.

Go here to find a panal to put the switch in:

McMaster-Carr

Hope this helps..

Cheers

Ted
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #12

Well after alot of searching and getting frustrated repeatedly I finally thought to add 2 letters (RV) when I was searching for a transfer switch and found what I was looking for. Found a couple threads on other RV sites with the exact same question and resolution. It still amazes me how certain things won't show up when doing a search and some things that have nothing at all to do with what you're searching for show up.
Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but I decided to go with an RV generator automatic transfer relay. So basically I'll have 2; the one that's already installed that selects between the generator and shore power. It's outlet feeds the breaker panel. So I'll take the first x-fer relay's output and make it the primary input to the second x-fer relay. The inverter will be the other input to the second x-fer relay. The output of the second relay will feed the breaker panel. All I have to do is make sure the air conditioning doesn't get turned on when on inverter power. I'll keep the breaker off when on the inverter just to make sure nobody turns it on inadvertently but I don't think it'll be an issue. To avoid putting all the MH power through the inverter's auto transfer relay(MH is 30 amp and inverter is only rated for 15 to 20 amps) I will just run a wire to the inverter from the new x-fer relay I'm installing but it'll only be sensing voltage, not the actual power that is feeding the breaker panel.
This might all seem confusing but I can picture it all in my head and I have all the parts now so I think it'll be a pretty straight forward install. I've already started and taken some pics. I also have a diagram of the DC side since I went from 1 to 3 batteries and added the inverter and solar. I will continue taking pics and make a full elec system diagram for anybody else interested in the future, I'm sure there are others that want to or will want to do the same thing and hopefully this will same them some headaches.
Thanks again for all the replies. Don't think I discounted any of your advice, the replies led me to the my final resolution.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If you have multiple circuits to switch, yu can use one of these:

Amazon.com: All Power America APTS7201 Generator Manual Transfer Switch Kit For Up To 7,500-Watts: Patio, Lawn & Garden

RELIANCE CONTROLS GENERATOR - SPECIALTY PANELS

But if it is just the 30A input to the RV, then a 30A, Double Pole, Double throw switch is all that is needed
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had one circuit her in my coach I wished to be able to connect to Mains or to the Inverter... Either/or, manually.

I got the switch at an electrical supply house, IN my case it was "Brightmoor Electrical" but alas, they are no longer there.

The switch they sold me is a 30 amp, dual pole, 3 position, center off

You can not switch it from "Mains" to "Inverter".

You can only switch to or from "Off"

(Thus insuring a "Break before Make type operation)

Very nice switch, 50 bucks.

Tags
manual