Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Where do you put your portable generator

I have been reading numerous posting about people using portable generators and the placement while in use. Most seem to either put them under a slide out, to keep rain off or in the back of the pickup. I have 2 options in the pickup or on a carrier on the receiver hitch on the back of the fifth wheel.
My question if using in the back of the pickup with a fifth wheel bedroom directly over the gen. isn't there a strong possibility of getting exhaust fumes up in the sleeping area?
Just curious

2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
rving4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't place one in either spot. When you put them in the bed of a truck, you basically add an amplifier to them. Increasing the noise by having the sound bounce around the metal bed.

By putting it on the bumper, you now have to feel it running inside the coach. What's wrong with putting it on the ground. This way you can pick a spot that is farthest away from your neighbors, such as the driver's side of the RV, either near the front or the rear, whichever is farthest away.

I bought both my kids Honda 2000's and when we go camping, they place them (around their RV) that is the least obtrusive/noisey.

I also bought them the metal handle for the Hondas so they can be locked through the handle and not easily cut by a hand saw.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Dutch Star Don I had not thought about the vibration, makes sense. I would like to say before I get beat up like I did on the GS forum, I was only concerned about exhaust fumes in the rv when people use them in the back of the truck. In 40 years we have never taken a generator with us. we just stay in FHU rv parks.
2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
rving4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Definitely not under the RV or slides. Should be downwind about 10' from the RV.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote