Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #1

Question Where is the automatic generator start module located in a Mandalay 40F?

I have a 2006 Mandalay 40F motorhome. It has a 8000 watt Onan diesel generator. It has a magnum inverter and also has the magnum control panel located above the entry door. I purchased the motorhome used, and in the literature that I got with it, it had the operating instructions for the automatic generator start (AGS) module which starts the generator when the battery voltage gets too low.

I have looked everywhere to find the AGS module as I can see that the "remote" cable is plugged into the inventor. This cable should lead to the AGS module for the automatic start function, but I cannot find it. This would be the older type AGS module from magnum that has the adjustment knobs on it to set the voltage for the generator to start, quiet times, and temperature start.

I tried to "test" the AGS system at the control panel, but it did not start the generator. I'm thinking that the dealer or previous owners may have disconnected it. I called "Thor" who manufactured it, and they could not provide me a location of where to look.

Is there anyone out there with the same coach that has the Magnum AGS module that knows where theirs is installed so I can locate it to see if it's just disconnected or missing completely.

Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #2

I can not help you with your specific question,but you my try this forum.
https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/gr...andalayRV/info

Good luck
Old 01-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

On mine it's located under the dash panel top of sterring wheel. Take the four caps off, remove screws and it's under on the left side. You can see all the little set up dials as indicated in book
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

Ok, found it under the dash panel. Under a wiring loom against the windshield at the extreme top left corner behind the dash. Looks like everything is plugged into it, and it has power at the terminals, but the led light on the AGS module is not lighting up, and the "test" button does not start the generator. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do. May be the AGS module itself from the looks of it. Thanks for the replies!!!!'
rescue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

since you found it, it sounds like the knobs have to be turned in the right ways in order to 'enable' the system, even to allow the Magnum remote to operate the AGS.

the newer AGS devices, like mine, are mounted in the front driver bay along with the fuses and other items for the chassis electronics. My AGS unit in the bay has no manual knobs to turn, it only provides a GREEN light indicator showing the system, from the remote panel, is 'enabled'. The Magnum remote, with the AGS button, provides all the input for 'Enable', 'Run Time', 'Volts', etc..
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, generator