Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurner1 View Post
Stay away from "King RV", Fredericksburg, VA. I bought a nice Pace Arrow there. The coach was fine, but they said it was fully serviced...
From surveying several dealers' used RVs, I'd say that a buyer should ask for written proof all promised maintenance and checks were completed. Mine told me that "all fluids and filters" were changed; inspection now reveals that some filters are obviously old, I question the fluids part as a result.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #16

It's the old saying "Buyer beware". Cheers Gerald
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #17

"no fire extinguisher. That's a DOT violation"....

The DOT regulates vehicles engaged in commerce, I do not see a requirement regarding RV fire extinguishers in DOT regulations...please provide a link so others can benefit from your observation.

Individual states may require fire extinguishers.

State Specific RV safety regulations. RVSafely.com

Regards
Gemstone
Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I got my info from a state trooper who does DOT inspections in my state. While most officers avoid RVs because there are so many grey areas, he will write you for not having one near the exit door. His reasoning is you carry propane and 12volt wiring is prone to starting I trust his advice.
I looked it up thanks to your prompting and this is what I found: fhttp://www.rvlifemag.com/RV38-1/rvtip38-1.html

The best thing I got from the conversation was, "we don't mess with RVs, because of all the grey areas, but we can always site you for safety violations. All we have to do is look real hard".

Oh, flares and triangles are required too according to officer friendly.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #19

Purchase of a motor home is a high risk venture under the best of circumstances. There are many actions needed to reduce your risks whether purchase from a dealer or individual. A little research on this site is a good starting point. I have owned several RV's over the years and continue to miss something on every purchase, but I am getting better. I read these posts and say to myself "I would never do that", but I guess some would say the same of my previous deals. I"ll maybe get it right in another 20-30 years. I am over 70 now however.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
It's the old saying "Buyer beware". Cheers Gerald
Spot on Gerald. Caveat Emptor. Doesn't matter who you are buying from, commercial, private, family or friend once you drive away you own the coach and all the potential problems visible or otherwise. The used RV market is flooded with recession rigs that are best described as neglected by former owners and that deal on eBay, Craig’s List, RV Trader or a distant commercial seller that seems too good to be true is just that. A RV is the most complex item we will ever own combining all the mechanical and structural systems of a home and car plus a few unique to RVs. Not getting a third party inspection or viewing the potential purchase yourself is very high risk and rarely is the outcome favorable to both parties.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #21

I am new to the board but thought maybe others might benefit from our dealer experience. We just purchased our third RV from Lazydays in Tampa and have had nothing but pleasant, positive, experiences. I was actually a bit worried going into this transaction because our trade, a Fleetwood Gearbox purchased new at Lazydays, had water damage from a roof seam leak. Lazydays was more than fair on the value they gave us on the Gearbox and also gave us a better deal on our new motor home than we had found anywhere else (including local private owners). I have sent numerous family and friends to Lazydays and will definitely be back as a customer. Hopefully others have equally positive experiences.
rjm727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #22

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.We bought our 89 30' class A last Oct for less than $4000 from a couple in there 80s that could not use it anymore.He was honest about everything and took good care of the mh.We started living fulltime within two weeks and have just completed a 2200 mile trip thru the socal and Az,desert.Everything worked great and the mh ran good even in the high heat of the desert and the bad traffic of socal.I feel bad about some of the rv ers that have had so much trouble it just don't seem fair to put so much into a vehicle and still have such problems.The only problem we had was a bad wheel bearing in my tow vehicle a motorcycle and it is a easy fix
Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I prefer to buy from a private party. Dealers lie.
And so do private owners!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #24

Slightly off topic...but
MaxTurner1....based on your conversation with a LEO, and what I felt was bad information provided by him to you, I decided to go to the horses mouth...the DOT. Below is their answer...but the short answer is; no DOT regulation exists that covers RV's and a requirement to have fire extinguishers on board an RV. Smart to have, but not required, and thus not valid for a LEO to cite an RV driver for not having one....unless they are violating a particular State law.
Note the RVIA standards link...these are standards by which RV's are manufactured, and have nothing to do with RV owners.
Regards

Gemstone

My question to the DOT was:
"I know there are State regulations regarding recreational vehicles being equipped with fire extinguishers, is there a Federal regulation"?

Recently you requested assistance from the US Department of Transportation. Below is our response to your request.

Subject
Fire extinguishers in motorized and non-motorized RV's

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (US DOT Reference Service)
06/03/2013 04:12 PM
There are Federal regulations for fire extinguishers for commercial motor vehicles. You can read them online at: ETA - Parts and Accessories Necessary for Safe Operation (Part 393) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

The Federal Highway Administration Vehicle Type page, located at: FHWA Vehicle Classification explains this about recreational vehicles and motor homes:

Two-Axle, Six-Tire, Single-Unit Trucks -- All vehicles on a single frame including trucks, camping and recreational vehicles, motor homes, etc., with two axles and dual rear wheels.

Three-Axle Single-Unit Trucks -- All vehicles on a single frame including trucks, camping and recreational vehicles, motor homes, etc., with three axles

What seems to be more important to the FHWA is whether the vehicle carries passengers or commodities. If it does not ( which, we assume an RV does not) then there are no requirements for carrying fire extinguishers.

Sincerely,

Reference Services
National Transportation Library
Bureau of Transportation Statistics
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation

Auto-Response
06/02/2013 12:36 PM
The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)

Title: Regulations on Emergency Equipment for Commercial Trucks
Link: https://ntl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/196

Title: How do I import a vehicle to the US?
Link: https://ntl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30

Title: Commercial Driver's License Regulations
Link: https://ntl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51

Title: Standards for Recreational Vehicles
Link: https://ntl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/194

Title: Rental Trucks and Weigh Stations
Link: https://ntl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89

Customer By Web Form
I know there are State regulations regarding recreational vehicles being equipped with fire extinguishers, is there a Federal regulation ?

Question Reference #130602-000006
Mode of Transportation:
Auto
Date Created:
Last Updated:
06/03/2013 04:12 PM
Solved
Old 09-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #25

ClearChoice is not... make another choice

I have had similar issues with ClearChoice. They sold me an RV with a COMPLETELY rotted out roof (under the vinyl-like material). A visual inspection by a know-nothing person (me) didn't trigger a red flag, but two RV places have looked at it and said anyone who knew RVs and inspected it would have known it was toast and it has been for some time. It's going to cost me $10,000 to fix it, and... wait for it... the warranty Sean said I "had to have"... doesn't cover it! I'm in the process of cancelling my $4600 warranty (I'm only 9 months in) to help pay for the roof, but now I'm worried that I'll never get my money back since it will be routed through ClearChoice! I was under the impression that "Interstate" was a totally independent company, but they're just the administrators. Why would money I paid to Interstate, through Paylink, go to ClearChoice after a cancellation???? Anyway, stay clear of these folks.
echocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ClearChoice gets about 50% of what you paid for the service policy so they get part of the money back from Interstate, then ClearChoice is supposed to add their portion and send you a check for both parts. No service policy will cover a preexisting condition nor for repairs necessitated by poor or non existent maintenance.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
More Kudos for Lazydays. Bought used 2012 Winnebago there this June. Saw it on their webpage. Went to Fl. to check it out. Took a day or so looking it over before buying it and then stayed 6 more days in their campground living in it. Every day a service rep. checked to see what needed to be fixed. Nothing major was found and every other thing was taken care of. My old rv was a gasser so they gave me help learning about a diesel. The RV had an oil change, full tank of fuel as well as DEF.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I prefer to buy from a private party. Dealers lie. Dealers add little or no value.
Three times we bought from private parties and two of those lied to us. One lied so much the only truth from the man was that it was a Class-C, everything else was lies. You can't trust individuals any more than you can trust dealers.