Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #85
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
CL- Craigslist
FSBO- For Sale By Owner

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.

Thanks. FWIW, I,personally, would never use Craigslist. Too many horror stories. Most recently, an elderly couple was murdered who answered a Craigslist used car for sale ad. Years ago I saw an Apple laptop for sale, called about it. He wanted to meet me in a closedown & deserted mall parking lot after dark. NO!!!😎 I'm dumb, but not that stupid or gullible.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #86
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Seabear View Post
I'm a first time buyer so I thought I would share my story. I have been shopping for a couple of months. Came across a deal at PPL in Houston.
I looked there last month at DPs. Without exception, I wouldn't have paid 50% of asking for *ANY* of them. Talk about mis-advertised. Some I couldn't even go into due to smells.

And if you look at their website, they have a "condition" description.
Basically "Very Good" means slightly above average.

They had nothing listed below "very good" when I went to look and we're talking about units will rot coming through the interior walls...

Maybe you can get a deal there, but don't plan on it...

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #87
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Thanks. FWIW, I,personally, would never use Craigslist. Too many horror stories. Most recently, an elderly couple was murdered who answered a Craigslist used car for sale ad.
This is exactly what dealers site when they low-ball me on trade in offers. I've used CL for years and never had any sort of problem - bought and sold all kinds of stuff. I'd MUCH rather deal with an owner than a dealer that's going to tell me "everything works" and it turns out they didn't test anything.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #88
Texas Boomers Club

I bought from PPL in Houston. I would not buy a little red wagon from them again. Nuff Said
CPCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #89
Originally Posted by CoachToadDLG View Post

The thing that ticks me off about PPL is that they "get paid five ways'. First, they charge a seller a flat fee (close to $2k) to put the coach on the consignment lot. They then want to charge an extra fee to the seller... to perform a complete inspection, take photos, and detail the unit for show.

That's where I get ticked off. You see -- they charge the seller for an "inspection"... claiming that is one of the ways they can properly figure out the best price for the coach to sell quickly. So... if they already did the inspection... why are they wanting to charge you the same amount for the exact inspection they ALREADY performed for the seller?

Anyway... So... they get a flat fee (if the coach sells, or not)... they charge the seller an inspection fee... they charge who knows how many different potential buyers an "inspection fee" (for the same inspection they didn't go countless times before)... and if the unit sells, they make 10% of the selling price... and upon delivery of the coach, they try to sell the buyer on another inspection and detail job... for a fee.

I'm not saying that PPL is a horrible place to get an RV... you just have to know what you're getting into, and you have to realize that most people who send their coaches off to a consignment lot are getting rid of it for a reason.
Sorry, you are completely wrong on all of this. . .

We sold ours through them within one month. We were never asked to pay a seller's fee.

We were not asked to pay an inspection fee.

They asked US what we wanted to sell it for...they DID NOT put their price on it.

We were never asked to pay for photos.

We were not asked to pay a detailing fee. In fact, they detailed it and did an awesome job for FREE.

...but YES, we did put our motorhome on a consignment lot because of a reason - as you state. We wanted to sell it!! Where we live we would have had to put it in a storage lot. . . then advertise it . . then have people not show up when they said they would . . . then to even show it because at the storage lot it was packed in tight and slides couldn't be opened, we would have to move it out of storage. So yes, we did take it to PPL for a reason.

Any RV lot will park RVs close together. However, at PPL they left enough room to have the slides open. Some might say they shouldn't leave slides open. However, that's when you would see if there's a water issue from the slides. Why not show them that way? Water issues don't just happen overnight because they're parked at PPL. Look at ceilings and walls and you can easily tell there's been a long-time water issue.

Look at any used RV lot and you will find a lot of junk and a lot with water damage. That's because some owners don't take care of their RVs. It's not because of PPL.

They were extremely easy to work with. They are not sales people. All they do is to give sellers a place to park their RV for sale. It's up to the buyer to find a good one for them. There is no pressure for buyers.

We, and many others, have been very happy with PPL. We'd highly recommend them.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #90
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I bought this one from PPL in April. Couldn't be happier. Took 5 weeks to get financing thru Essex ( that is another story) . PPL was great about it taking so long. I have had 3 MH before this one, so this was not my first rodeo. There were some minor issues that got me a good price. We have spent some money, and a lot of minor fix ups, it is a sharp coach now. Told the wife last week, I am sure I could get $20K more out of it today. She said no way, we are keeping it and enjoying it.

Like anything else, good decisions are based on good homework. Risk and reward. The higher the risk, the harder you better work if you want the reward.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #91
We bought our Bounder from a Craigslist ad. First time buying an RV for me, and while I made a couple of mistakes I still got a good deal on a low mileage unit. I've put a few grand into fixing some things and still have more work to do, but it's turned into a rather fun restoration project as well as a family RV.
Johnp292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #92

Originally Posted by 01jordyn View Post
I have heard people make jokes about used car salesmen forever. I have never seen more unethical people selling RV's. I wouldn't trust any of them. I had a lady walking around the motorhome looking for anything that could be wrong with the motorhome and she couldn't find anything wrong. When it was delivered, it had approximately $10,000 dollars worth of repairs, plus the paint is terrible. Go and see it or don't buy it.
I have my ranking of vehicle sales persons with regard to integrity starting from the most honest to the least honest;

1 - New Car Sales
2 - Used Car Sales
3 - New Boat Sales
4 - Used Boat Sales
5 - Aircraft sales/brokers
6 - RV Sales

So far I have dealt with 1 thru 5 -- how stupid am I for now beginning to deal with Number 6 on the list?
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #93
I Just wanted to add my experience, I purchased a used class a ,From Paul Everts in Fresno, the RV needed air cond. work, which I could repair,(thinking I could save some money), but I made it clear the coach was to be safe .
The salesman told me they were required to by law to make them safe, I Purchased the coach and left it for them to make repairs to make it safe (1 week later), During the walk down when I picked it up, I noticed a line hanging down in the rear, (they told me it was part of a device for towing),
Well I drove the coach home, It overheated, 2 times on a 1 hour drive and
didn't seam to steer very good, When I got home I did an inspection on it and found the hydraulic steering stabilizer was leaking oil, The air brake compressor would not air up the brakes at times, The air dryer was disconnected, (line hanging down) causing the governor to not see pressure at times, also the front air bag valves were leaking air, the exhaust manifold had 6 broken bolts broken and was leaking , The front brakes had oil running from the drums, (bad oil seals) ,
I tried to get ahold of the salesman but they would not return my calls,. Didn't want to return the RV and get a major bill so I had to make repairs on my own,

Don't do business with the people !!!
1-waterman-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #94
In the future, be sure to crawl under the RV yourself or have it inspected by a Good RV Tech….If it costs 1-$200 for the inspection, look at the savings from being warned against getting a Lemon…..

Not words of comfort right now, I know….but good advice for all & especially, first time buyers. These RV Sales People are facing large Commissions so they want the sale to go through….no matter what. Lots of times, the Dealership it'self will not allow the Sales Guys to have anything fixed unless you see it first and make it a condition of the Sale. It's about the only way… You have to say…"Unless the repair is made ….NO SALE." We got 6 new batteries & complete Road Master-All Terrane Tow Bar and it's instalation by saying…."NEW BATTERIES & Tow Bar or NO SALE….." They jumped right on it once they knew we were serious buyers. Other than that, the Coach turned out being a really good One Owner Unit. A 2003 Holiday Rambler Imperial with 72K miles on the 400 Cummins ISL. We've driven it about 42K all over the West in the last 6 years and have never been stranded. We LOVE our Coach and look forward to it becoming a Vintage unit under our ownership….I'd be interested in knowing how your repairs went for you guys, and how you feel about it now, the places you have driven it etc…….

Did you get the Coach up & Running to your complete Satisfaction?
Thmpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #95
Winnebago Owners Club
I have now used PPL 4 times - 2 purchases & 2 sales.

They are very fair. Everything is spelled out clearly and up front. Prices may be suggested, but you can set any price you want. They try to get you to price to move because they don't want to be your storage lot - they want turnover. However many people have an inflated view of their coach's value.

If you didn't get a good coach from them, it is only your fault. They make no representations to you. Their "sales people" are really only facilitators and make no claims about any coach.

My most recent purchase has turned out to have cost me some money in repairs, but all they did was was check (and show me) that everything worked. In other words, I don't blame PPL. I made a purchase; I was not sold anything.
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #96

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased my MH from a guy who's car I bought the month before.(known them for 8 years) The MH turned out to be a better deal than the old caddie I bought from him.
Spent several thousand dollars on the caddie,
$125.00 on the MH.
Go figure,
The caddie will sit in storage while we take the MH to Az...

1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #97
Hey Don/AggieDad…..
Glad you are up and running….. I know the heart break and the feeling when you are taken advantage of while you yourself are doing everything right. Do you guys have any new adventures planned for this Travel Season? We just got back about 3 weeks ago from a 3 month Trip out West. This time we drove the entire state of Oregon and got to see the Amazing Redwood Trees, the Mojave Desert and Death Valley as well, and of course, the usual sites we pass through on our trips. We do enjoy hearing where others have gone or plan to go….. It's nice to visit new places that others suggest as well…..
03 40' HR Imperial. Full Time:October 2010
Take annual 3 month trips Out West & Winter in Gulf Shores…. We Got The Fever…. & We Got It Bad!
Thmpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #98
Future Full-Timers

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Greg Smith RV, Galion, OH

We purchased our 1st MH at this dealership in 9-2013.
We were working it the area and I drove by this dealership
going after parts.
I had never even stepped inside a DP before but have looked at
the online since we bought our TT a year earlier.
The first unit we looked at was only good from a block away.
It was an Ohio State party bus and smelled and looked the part.
The unit we finally purchased had a nice floorplan w/ 1.5 baths
My DW pointed out numerous things that she wanted fixed which
they said they would do.
We took it for a drive and except for backing out of the space I did all
the driving. I was impressed with the quiet ride, The DW and Dog were
scared to death and sat on the floor.
The only thing I did was check on pricing on this age and type of coach
and also paid for a search of the unit online (for a cost)
I found out the unit had been purchased in WI and then went to AK where
BOA repossessed it and the dealership purchased at auction.
IT had only 13,600 miles which I thought was great.
WE made the deal which I still thing was a fair price but not one thing my DW pointed out was repaired.
She was ready to walk away but I was in love and didn't care.
It only had a 1/4 tank of diesel (remember I'm in love)
I was in shock after filling the tank though.
The low mileage I thought was great I later learned meant absolutely nothing
had been done to it including all fluids and filters.
In about 1 week DW had it loaded and we took off on our first trip of about 1000 miles for work in NY-PA-MD. Had fuel problems and learned how to change filters quickly on the road. I was still in love and we took it for another 1000 mile work trip with fuel problems and leveler problems.
In Jan 2014 We took advantage of good weather and took it to Gaffney and had Freightliner go over the complete unit
Prior to the trip I also found out that PA required a Class B Non Commercial drivers license for this size of a unit with air brakes which I completed and passed. knowing how the air brake system works is something everyone should know and glad I took the time to do it
We had problems with the Hi pressure side of the fuel pump and put several thousand into it with Cummins but we had an extended warranty that reimbursed us without problem.
We have learned that these things are a work in progress and do agree with others that a house traveling down the road will have issues.
My final statement is that I feel we have been very lucky by stumbling onto this unit as I read the many horror stories in this tread and I was a salesman's dream. As for Greg Smith RV I wouldn't trust them to do anything they promised to do even when in writing but when your in Love you tend to overlook the flaws in your Love interest.
I am not one that like to work around his house and never have likes mechanical work on my own vehicles but find myself performing repairs/maintenance items on the Beast without getting upset
Doesn't LOVE make you CRAZY sometimes

Pam, GiGi, & Mark Traveling in GiGi's Dog House. 2017 Navion 24G w/ Dinette being pushed by 2017 Chevy Spark. GiGi says it's good to be Daddy's Co-Pilot !
Daddy says "Where did my Excursion Go ?"
Bompa13 is offline   Reply With Quote