Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmpick View Post
Hey Don/AggieDad…..
Glad you are up and running….. I know the heart break and the feeling when you are taken advantage of while you yourself are doing everything right. Do you guys have any new adventures planned for this Travel Season? We just got back about 3 weeks ago from a 3 month Trip out West. This time we drove the entire state of Oregon and got to see the Amazing Redwood Trees, the Mojave Desert and Death Valley as well, and of course, the usual sites we pass through on our trips. We do enjoy hearing where others have gone or plan to go….. It's nice to visit new places that others suggest as well…..
Thanks for the nice words. I have to say the new (Jasper remanufactured) engine is as smooth as silk.

We brought the RV home from Utah to Houston in October and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. My wife followed in a rental car just for safety's sake, but except for a minor incident with one loose wire that wasn't really needed.

Your trip is definitely high on my list. I would love to visit all of those places. I really like desert landscapes so the Mojave sounds very neat. First is a trip this winter to Florida to visit my wife's sister.

AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
Thats a great Story.

Yes, the adventure is worth the risk. And , all of us that buy RV's go through some kind of struggle & disappointment with the equipment , but, most of us decide it is worth it.

The big problem, not that the equipment fails-but who can we take it to that doesn't make it worse? I think the answer is to drive it as far as you have to, to get to an honest competent repair facility.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:52 AM   #101

We just bought our 2007 Fleetwood Bounder DP THROUGH [moderator edit] PPL in Houston.
So far, I couldn't be happier. We've been cleaning, doing some "adjustments/mods" inside the coach to suit us. So far, the only surprises we've had were how well kept, how clean, and how well cared for this coach is/was. It's been sitting on my driveway for 2 weeks now while we do our thing to it. I did see some water dripping through one of the a/c's. I took the grille off to check it out. The only problem was the mounting sandwiching screws were loose, I snugged them up and that solved the problem. That's the ONLY issue I've seen so far.
At this point, I feel like I got a steal of a deal. And that's the most important thing, I'm happy, seller's happy, & PPL is happy. What more could one ask for? Right?
We shopped/purchased during south Texas' floods in October. We looked at a number of coaches on PPL's lot while it was raining. Some of the $$high-end$$$ MH's had water dripping in places on the dash from the windshield, from the ceiling, and places I didn't think you could even spray water. This Bounder was dry as a bone.
Anyway. The entire staff at PPL was great to work with. I may have paid too much for their services, but, as another poster stated, I bought it, they didn't sell it.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
And that's the most important thing, I'm happy, seller's happy, & PPL is happy. What more could one ask for? Right?
You are absolutely right. Unfortunately, there are always those folks who think they are getting cheated if the seller is also happy with the deal.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #103

Quote:
We shopped/purchased during south Texas' floods in October. We looked at a number of coaches on PPL's lot while it was raining. Some of the $$high-end$$$ MH's had water dripping in places on the dash from the windshield, from the ceiling, and places I didn't think you could even spray water. This Bounder was dry as a bone.
Anyway. The entire staff at PPL was great to work with. I may have paid too much for their services, but, as another poster stated, I bought it, they didn't sell it.
You shopped for a RV in the best conditions - in pouring rain. That was a real test for leaks. Glad you are satisfied with your choice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #104

Vintage RV Owners Club
I got one that a friend of a friend was selling that they had parked under a carport next to their barn. I had just lost my job and had moved 2 states and was in really poor mental health at the time so I didn't notice some serious problems. I payed likely way more than it is actually worth and have put in perhaps 1k or so more into it.

I can't say it was all bad since I'm living in it now and it's serving its purpose but it was an expensive way to get an education and if my friend hadn't have been pushing me hard to buy this junk heap at the time my head was still spinning I could have gone to the local RV dealer and got a nice travel trailer for a fraction of the cost and likely with none of the trouble I've had to deal with since June.

TLDR: stay away from friend of a friend "deals" unless you know what to look for with a clear head and shop around anyway or you will have a major "I could have had a V8" moment.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
PPL in Cleburne, Texas

Quote:
We just bought our 2007 Fleetwood Bounder DP THROUGH [moderator edit] PPL in Houston.
So far, I couldn't be happier.
I had no experience with PPL other than a few parts orders, helped a friend who's new to motorhoming buy his first DP through them. The rig was one of the best-kept machines I've seen. It was being offered for just under the NADA Avg Retail price, and he bought it for $1K over wholesale and is delighted with it.

A saw a near "double" to my own DP was there, for sale. While the RV was sporting original tires -- it is amazing, how many owners out there haven't gotten that memo -- it was a gorgeous rig. It eventually sold for 20% under the NADA Wholesale price.

What most impressed me about them: the sales guy played the part of realtor, rather than salesman. He folded himself into the inspection process, accompanied us on a test drive, ran back and forth to the office when we had questions, and even pulled the rig over to a service bay for water and electricity hookup. His whole attitude seemed to be one of honest helpfulness and transparency, rather that profit maximization. The DP was of local ownership, the buyer was able to answer questions about it.

Guaranteed, when it time to replace our bus, I'll keep a close watch on the rapidly changing inventory, over at PPL.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
I had no experience with PPL other than a few parts orders, helped a friend who's new to motorhoming buy his first DP through them. The rig was one of the best-kept machines I've seen. It was being offered for just under the NADA Avg Retail price, and he bought it for $1K over wholesale and is delighted with it.

A saw a near "double" to my own DP was there, for sale. While the RV was sporting original tires -- it is amazing, how many owners out there haven't gotten that memo -- it was a gorgeous rig. It eventually sold for 20% under the NADA Wholesale price.

What most impressed me about them: the sales guy played the part of realtor, rather than salesman. He folded himself into the inspection process, accompanied us on a test drive, ran back and forth to the office when we had questions, and even pulled the rig over to a service bay for water and electricity hookup. His whole attitude seemed to be one of honest helpfulness and transparency, rather that profit maximization. The DP was of local ownership, the buyer was able to answer questions about it.

Guaranteed, when it time to replace our bus, I'll keep a close watch on the rapidly changing inventory, over at PPL.

This is pretty much "our story" to the tee. Our "sales/broker gal" was Amy Jonas.
If my numbers are correct, I think we "beat" the NADA by about 12K.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #107
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As a consignment shop, PPL doesn't have control over most of their inventory. Not all the rigs on the lot are consignment's, some are owned by PPL. They will usually tell you which ones are.

I am absolutely flabbergasted by the condition of some (most?) of the coaches on the lot. It's apparent the owners didn't take care of it when they used it and don't want to repair anything before they sell it. That's not PPL's fault.

You can find a good deal, but do your homework and have it inspected by a truck repair center and an RV dealer. I wouldn't pay PPL $390 to do their inspection. It's cursory at best, but they do describe it in detail so you know before hand what it is.

The most important thing to remember is the deal is between you and the seller, PPL is just a facilitator.