Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Where should I place my level while leveling the trailer?

I am sorry to be still asking obnoxious newbie questions, when we have owned this thing for 6 months and are currently on our 7th trip, but...

This is our second trip where we are on level concrete pads. So levelling should be simple, right?

My current procedure is to open my levelling app on my cell phone, which is good to .1 degrees, so very accurate.

I place it on the floor just inside the door, and either one of us reads it while the other one runs the jacks up and down until it reads pretty close to level. I like to see within .5 degree both ways.

Then I step inside and it feels like it is leaning, and the doors and drawers are not cooperating. Then I place the level in the middle of the floor and it says we are 1.5 degrees facing down in the front, and leaning 2 degrees to the side, and it feels like it.

Just to experiment, I have placed the level on upright door frames, other countertops (not ones inside the slideouts), and I get different readings everywhere.

Should I read from the center of the floor, or maybe on the frame on the tongue, or what?

Or are trailers just not made to square, and I need to find my trailer's sweet spot?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

Maybe you should level it with a regular level then re calibrate the smart phone level

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we had a 5er I placed a 6" level on the main frame under the rig just beneath the access door to the leveling controls! You can't depend on anything inside being perfectly level!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It's not a tow behind but I find the same thing. If it's not level, move the level around until you find a spot that is

A friend that has been RVing forever told us counters aren't the best place to check. I find the tile floor isn't either as from one tile to the next is different. Some will say to check in front of the fridge as RV type fridges need to be close to level to work. We use a small "torpedo" level but a big one would be more accurate and easier to use.

One way we can tell if it is in the ballpark is with the bathroom door. If it swings open or closed then it's off. If it will stay open half way then it is level. That does not happen very often.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
It's not a tow behind but I find the same thing. If it's not level, move the level around until you find a spot that is

A friend that has been RVing forever told us counters aren't the best place to check. I find the tile floor isn't either as from one tile to the next is different. Some will say to check in front of the fridge as RV type fridges need to be close to level to work. We use a small "torpedo" level but a big one would be more accurate and easier to use.

One way we can tell if it is in the ballpark is with the bathroom door. If it swings open or closed then it's off. If it will stay open half way then it is level. That does not happen very often.

Mark, I wouldn't count on the door frame being straight either!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Place it anywhere that is level....

By that I mean, put in on the floor and level your rig when you are at home or on a good pad.
Then find a place where you can see your level while making adjustments.
For a trailer, I usually put it on the frame, but that is not convenient for side-to-side leveling.

The nest time you have to level, the indicator will be easy to see while your adjusting. For me, I put it on the tile floor between the driver and passenger.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You are confusing digital precision with accuracy. The phone is physically too small to do a decent job of leveling. It measures "level" over a very short distance and is easily affected by small variations in the flooring or whatever it is lying on. You need a device that is fairly long to get usable accuracy - carpenters use 48" or 60" long levels. You don't need to be that accurate, but even a 12" level will give a much better reading. I would place it on the floor near the center of the rig's width and at least several feet from one end.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

You don't really need to be perfectly level. The biggest concerns for us are proper function of the refrigerator and our comfort. The refrigerator does not have to be completely level to work properly, but close. We like for the bathroom door to slightly close itself, so that is what we shoot for. We also get different readings on different surfaces.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I use a 2' level. More accurate and easy to store.

To check if you level is accurate: (One of the many great things my father taught me)

TIP: 1) Place your level on a flat, even surface, look at the bubble and note its position. Turn your level 180*. If the bubble is in exact same position, your level is accurate.

TIP: 2) On a wall, place your level with bubble in dead center. Draw a line underneath. Turn your level 180* and place it on the previous line. If the bubble is dead center, your level is good. If not, toss it in the trash and go buy another.

Use TIP 1 at the store when purchasing your level. You'd be amazed at how many are not accurate! I've done this many times and found approximately 1 in 3 that is actually dead level!

Don't assume that because it's a level, that's it's going to be!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

The cell phone app gets us close enough if i just figure out where to place it.

It feels pretty close now sideways but maybe a touch low in front and ac is draining off both front drains verifying my feelings.

I guess i will place phone in several locations and see which read numbers similar to my feelings. Gonna try frame at tongue
Old 12-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
znt has it right...
and on edit - dogpatch has an excellent point !

NOTHING MUST be level except the absorption type rv fridges...
not the doors, not the floor, not the counters (nor the trailer frame )

the only true place to measure it is the refrigerator frame because it could be mounted 'crooked' and that's the real reason for leveling, and within 3 to 6 degrees either way is sufficient...

When we had our 5er with one of those terrible rv type fridges, I bought TWO bigger bubble levels, got the fridge frame level,
tested the bed to make sure I would not be sleeping head down (pet peeve )
and then glued the levels on the outside corner of the rig next to the jack controls - one on the front and one on the side...

The one on the front allowed me to see it from the drivers seat so I could pull up or back for side to side leveling on jack pads...

I made sure all rv's since have had auto leveling and res. fridges!
Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #12

I just level mine. Open the bath door. See which way it swings raise or lower accordingly. Frig door work good too.

Russell
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my TT I leveled so the stove was somewhat level. I have also used the bed in some cases. I hate cooking on an un-level surface or sleep with my head downhill! The RV has an auto leveling system that is close, but not perfect. I just haven't been willing to take on the task of resetting the leveling system yet.

Also, I agree with some of the others. Use an actual level. I carry a torpedo level with a magnetic edge so it will stick to things like the frame. I also carry a couple bulls eye levels.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Mark, I wouldn't count on the door frame being straight either!
I don't. It's just a quick way to see if it is close. If both the fridge door and the bath door swing one way, it's a good bet we aren't level.

Where we are now one corner is in a soft spot so even though I have lumber under the jack, it sinks in a little at a time so I'm always fooling with it. When the bath door either shuts hard or swings open then it is time to re-level.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, leveling