Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Where to fill up with fresh water

When you are on the road, do you ever fill up your fresh water tank (including for drinking) at truck stops
Do you use a water hose by the gas pump or at a special water fill station
Is it usually free or do they sell water by the gallon
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Many of them will have a sign saying it's not potable water or not for drinking. We don't fill water at a truck stop, no and not with their hose- not knowing what that has been exposed to.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I fill up at campgrounds. I use my fresh water tank for everything. The water goes in via an inline water filter.

Before all that is if the dog does not want to drink the water in her outside bowl from the spigot. I do not use that water.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Flying J RV island has potable water also if you are an Elk, most lodges have a water faucet available. We also stop for a night at a state park or passport park to dump and refill water. Some parks will let you dump and refill for a fee if not staying overnight.
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #5

Also check out the sani dumps web site they list dump stations free and fee sites as well if there is water available.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

We also travel with a full fresh water tank and use it exclusively. We never stay connected to the water hydrant. We have a couple of reasons: always know if we have a water leak because the pump will cycle and we always have water available if the campground shuts down the water supply for some reason. We fill up at campgrounds and have never filled up anywhere else. We are not concerned about traveling with a full fresh water tank and it does not impact our fuel mileage.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before leaving on a trip, I'll fill up the fresh water tank at home with the fresh water hose (I agree with one poster, never use someone else's hose as you don't know what it was used for or what it was in contact with).

On the road, always at a campground.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #8

We always use our hose, we always make certain it is potable water, we have filled at Flying J (truck stop), rest areas, campgrounds, and parks. I don't think there was ever a charge specifically for water, but sometimes for dumping.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
One post has mentioned this, but it bears repeating: You should always use a filter when filling up or connecting to a water supply, regardless of the source (and yes, even at home). Most people use the blue Camco Model 40043: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX87S...DWRCSNDO&psc=1
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #10

i do a quick google maps overview of the area where I'm stopping, or traveling to, and find a church, a business, especially RV shops or camping worlds, etc that might not mind me using the water for a few minutes... they usually don't have a big issue with it as long as you are cordial and thankful - and you tell them a few stories of where you've been lately!
also, many city parks have water spigots near their parking areas...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #11

Stop at a local fire station (the bigger ones) there is usually a camper among the crew that would be happy to help out!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Filling your water tank

It is a good idea to carry a couple jugs of water from home. Especially if you need to use your toilet enroute. Heard a story once about a dog peeing on a water hookup at a campsite. The next camper had no way of knowing and hooked up to the water. You could spray the water hookup with clorox and then rinse it off. When you register in at a campsite ask where the potable water is. One campsite had the potable water at the dump station. Imagine getting nicely backed into your site and hooked up and then you discover their is no water on site. State parks have spigots along the road ever so often. Fill up before you park.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
When I fill up water, it can be as much as 84 gallons. Even at 25 cents a gallon, that's $21 worth so I can't imagine trucks stops or other business or individuals giving all that away for free. I would be happy paying for water just like I do gas and oil. Has anyone seen a meter on a water fill station?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #14

"Most" people I know use two stage water filters. I have never been a fan of those inline water filters, not very effective. There is no debate that an inline is as good as a two or three stage filter. For those who really care about more than price look elsewhere.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water