Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 04:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Where to find a diode?

I am wiring my DP to my toad. I am running a hot wire from the DP starting battery to the toad battery and I want to add a diode in that line. I have looked ever where and cannot find the correct diode. I want one that is encased and not just a wire with the diode and then the small wire coming out. I have installed Toad Charge and had problems with the wire connections both wires right next to each other on the plastic connections.
Thanks
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:04 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've always used Roadmaster Hy-Power diodes with no problems.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Did you Google "diodes"? Digi-Key has thousands of them for sale. Most auto parts stores will have them...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought mine at Camping World in the Towing section. They come in a 2 pack, and are encapsulated in an aluminum heat sink with spade terminals.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just a follow up I did do goggle and believe or not I could not what I was looking for. I checked NAPA didn't even know what it was, check Advance Auto and Auto Zone no have. Checked Radio Shack had the little diode that you would solder in a kit or something. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #6

As already mentioned, check the massive on-line catalog of Digi-Key electronics. Here is the web site:
http://tinyurl.com/mu9qnt3
I'd be surprised if they don't have the diode size that you want.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I did find Digi-Key before, but them charts were way over my head, you are right they should have it but I was looking for a easy way I guess. Some folks were recommending the Roadmaster Diode, but I don't think they would allow enough current to pass through. I am using 8 gage wire, and want as much current as possible getting to the battery as the toad wants a lot of juice. I tied three time with the Toad Charge and all three times the battery was dead after 4 hours.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #8

You should understand there is a considerable voltage drop (loss) across the diode. If you use a common silicone diode, it will drop 0.7 volts. A less common germanium diode will drop 0.3 volts.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roadmaster Diodes $21 pair
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #10

Stick with silicon as much better.

You have many options that are only limited to your budget and ability.

If you want simple installation then just get a battery isolator of the solid state or diode type.

It will have screw lugs and 2 diodes so you have a spare.

Another option is a selenoid or relay and have it controlled by ign power.

Connect to battery and find something controlled by key or if you drive with lights on use tail light power to control relay.

Diode only drops 0.6 volts so still plenty to maintain charge.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You should understand there is a considerable voltage drop (loss) across the diode. If you use a common silicone diode, it will drop 0.7 volts. A less common germIanium diode will drop 0.3 volts.

Joel
My experience is that you will be hard pressed to tell the difference in lighting. I use them all the time for steering diodes when dealing with separate turn and stop lamps feeding a single trailer filament. If you want to go fancy there are power Shottky diodes back down to around Germanium levels.

I think the OP wants a potted diode with connection points so he does not need to roll his own housing. I'm not sure he needs a continuous 20 A like he thinks he does but something in that range would be good. I found these as an example:

http://www.e-maxinstruments.com/imag...iodes-2014.pdf

The 910A009 would probably work fine. No idea on price.

Dug some more. Mouser has a Vishay VS-T40HF60 module for $26.50 that looks like an isolated case with screw terminals for the wires. Overkill on the specification but will handle what you want.

The problem seems to be finding a mounted diode that is in common use in some industry so one can piggyback on their usage. If anyone else has a suggestion please put it forward.

It looks like a lot of money for the nice package.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why do you feel you need a diode?
On my Freightliner chassis, the 12v pin in the trailer connector is only hot with the ignition on.
That would mean the engine is likely running.

If you still want a diode, look for a solar isolation diode (.35v drop). Solder the wires, an d then heat shrink it.
You can also encapsulate it with epoxy if you like.

Dan
Old 05-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I've always used Roadmaster Hy-Power diodes with no problems.
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Route 66 (and maxwell18)
In 2011, (when I wired my Saturn for towing), I had TEN 6 amp diodes shipped to my door, from West Florida Components, for less $$ than ONE PAIR of Roadmaster Hy-Power, (high-priced), diodes.
https://www.westfloridacomponents.com
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two comments. (Well 3)

First: The Roadmaster HIGH POWER diode mentioend by someone is for tail lights.. The O/P wants a Towed charge" I'm not sure those are diode enough.

Now to the O/P

A diode isolator (Battery isolator) comes with a pair (or 3) diodes.. Two are big mothers, encased in epoxy and aluminum they can pass easily 70-80-90 amps depending on the model
The third (if present) is smaller.

BUT there is a problem... THe voltage drop may prevent proper towed charging.

US-Gear (unified brake decelrator) puts a line from the motor home battery to the towed battery 20 amp breaker at one end 40 at the other (I'd use 20's both ends for your install) the self resetting thermal kind.

Now that works.. Very low voltage drop.. It is how I handle my towed.