Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Where to find repair parts

We bought a used 08 cougar 5er and need to get a few parts for things like awnings , the heater and such . Can anyone recommend a good online source for repair parts? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can try
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay
Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes
both places have lots of items and some good prices too

Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've found that PPL Motorhomes Part Dept (the link in previous message) has excellent service and prices. And if you can't find what you need in their online catalog, give them a call.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For your Cougar, most any Dealer can order OEM directly from Thor if the part you're seeking is not available elsewhere. I just recently broke the bolt in a cargo bay door lock that was painted to match the coach. My cost from Thor, through the Dealer, was about $20 plus shipping (drop-shipped directly from Thor). What I did is harvest just the bolt and new spring from the new lock and place it into the existing handle. Fit and works perfectly. Note: This was for a 2004 Damon! Damon and Thor merged some time ago. The point is that Thor sells parts that exactly match a coach that they, themselves, didn't actually produce.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies . I think I might try to contact Thor directly for the one piece ( I think ) that I cant seem to find . I believe that my furnace should have a front cover over it but it doesnt . The heat tubes are exposed and the air comes right out the cabinet grill covering the unit mostly , instead of coming out the heating vents . When I discovered this I took some aluminum foil and covered over the entire hole ( not my first choice as a fix but all I could do at the time ) and this improved the performance drastically . I am sure that Thor could tell me if , in fact , there should be a piece on there and if so where to get it . I did not think that the factory would deal direct with the consumers . Good to know .
Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you post a pic of what you did on the heater and we can tell if there is a cover that goes in that area
Old 09-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
What other items are you looking for we might help you locate them also
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

At this time i dont have the capability to post pics but i will see if I can "paint " a picture . On The trailer i have the furnace is located directly below the fridge and that cavity is covered by a wooden grill . I suspect this grills purpose is actually to allow for return air . If I take that grill off I am looking directly at the furnace unit and can see the open chamber where the heat exchanger is . just below the heat exchanger , on what is the bottom of the furnace ( lieing directly on the floor ) is an opening which I determined was the inlet to the heat ducting . When i did not have the foil cover on it the furnace cycled frequently ( maybe every 5 minutes for just a short time ) and i was not getting any airflow out of the heat registers. When i covered this opening where I can see the heat exchanger , the furnace cycles were much less frequent and the heat was coming out of the registers . Looking at this opening on the furnace unit I can see a small flange around the outside with holes in it that look like they would be for screws .
The other part I need to get is a small cast metal part for the awning leg that is vertical when the awning is closed and almost horizontal when its open ( not the leg that the awning itself is attached too) I think this part is part guide/part locking mechanism . I really dont have much trust in the local ( 70 miles away) RV service shop so if I can fix this myself I would rather . Thanks for all the help . I did send keystone an email so hopefully I will get a reply from them also but from reading many of the threads here I am not holding my breath.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is it the mount that is on the side of the trailer what you need the leg clips into it or is it the part on the very bottom of the leg?

What kind of furnance is it? or this what do you see on the out side where the furnance is at are there just 2 holes or is it a cover with one hole.

I have some awning parts that were removed because the tube got bent but parts of the arm is good I'll give you the parts if we can determine the correct one is the awning a A&E or carefree
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
I did not think that the factory would deal direct with the consumers .
Sorry if I was less than clear... OEM parts from Thor do have to be ordered through a dealer. The point I was trying to make is that OEM parts are available... even for coach models that are not even produced any longer.

blang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair