Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #1

Where To Have RV Work Done

After reading the Camping World rants, I thought about my experiences and realized that I use RV shops as a last resort. My dealer is competent but expensive so I look for alternatives.
Tires: Local tire shops. I order Maxxis tires from Amazon and have them installed down the street.
Suspension: I had my wet bolts and Dexter EZ Flex done at a local spring and chassis shop. It is what they do. It cost about $150.
Pin box: When a couple of bolts sheared on my Sidewinder turret, I took it to a machine shop to have the bolts removed and got 4 new grade 8 bolts from them.
Pin box2: When I got tired of chucking, I made an appointment at MorRyde for a time I was going to be in the area and got their pin box installed by them which also lowered the nose an inch. Had them replace the EZ-Flex equalizers with MorRyde CRE 3000 equalizers to raise the fifth wheel an inch. The fiver now rides level with my new F350. Total cost was just over what it would have cost me to order the parts.
Axle: A failed wheel bearing ruined the hub and axle spline. I lucked into a local truck repair shop that contracted with GS Roadside Assistance. They had me on my way with a new axle in 10 days for about $1000. A friend had the same problem and used CW to the tune of over $2000 and 5 weeks of down time.

The point I am making is that there are often alternatives to the RV dealers that make us gnash our teeth or just cost too much.

If you have suggestions for other RV work that can be done somewhere other than an RV dealer, please chime in.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

On the go RV repair

For those of you that travel through or near Albuquerque, NM and need RV repairs I 've located a company that does complete RV repairs at a very good rate. Cox's American Automotive, 3605 Ozuna, ask for Bob he is the owner or Michael his son. I'm new to the world of RVing, and purchase a 34 ft Winnebago Adventurer about two months ago. The previous owner took very good care of this RV. It was almost new with only 29084 miles. Anyway, there were a few items that needed to be repaired, broke level spring on the front drivers side, front end alignment, had to use aux switch to start the engine, brakes inspection, etc. I had checked in El Paso to see who I could bring the RV to, but could not find some to complete all of the above items. I would have to go to three different company's to get these items repaired. What a bummer!! The wife and I wanted to have a shake down run so we decided to make a run to Albuquerque. After a few calls I located Cox's American and spoke with Bob. Long story short, Bob and his team completed all of the above repairs in one day and only charged me $568 for everything. This was a very lucky find. Bob stands behind all of his work and all parts are warranted by his vendors.
RayandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote