Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where to install an inverter

I'm thinking of putting installing an inverter, and I'm wondering where should I have it installed. I have a converter/charger in the compartment next to the
battery compartment. I want a 2000 watt inverter/charger. I think I also want to get rid of the 2 12v batteries and replace them with 4 6v.

Any suggestions? I was thinking it would go in the place of the present converter, I also want it to be a True Sine Wave.
are there places besides Camping World or RV dealers that would do it?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the rule of thumb is as close to your bateries as possible. the wire between the the batteries and inverter will have to be a heavy gauge, so shorter is better. easier to extend ac current then dc. have you decided what you want to run from the inverter?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

A 2000w inverter can draw over 160 amps from the battery. To minimize voltage drop, you want to have it as close to the battery as possible.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
How do you want to tie this inverter into the RV? Do you want to run a switch or just install decided outlet to inverter?
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

My only suggestion would be to have it installed "anywhere" besides Camping World. There should be numerous places that are capable of doing the job
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
YC1

Dead on replacing the existing unit if it is next to the batteries. I am surprised you don't have some sort of inverter already. Connecting various AC circuits can be complicated and might be rather expensive to have installed. On previous rv's I installed inverters close to the batteries and ran power through simple selector switches. This gave me an either type setup. Could either be shoreline/generator or inverter. In one rv I just ran the shoreline cord to the inverter and turned off all circuits not wanted. If you have just a couple of places you really need the AC you may be able to run your own wire and outlet box. Lots of options here. A new magnum inverter/charger is a fantastic piece of equipment. With the remote control you can turn the charger down so it does not draw a lot of current for example if you are on 30 amp shoreline.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

This is a good DIY project if you keep it simple. 4 batteries and a 2000W is not much to run the whole coach. Since you have propane for fridge and cooking, then what are you using batteries for? Lights? TV? You won't get much time on a coffee pot or a microwave.

I have seen neat installations where they ran from the inverter to "inverter only" outlets in the coach. That way you can control what is powered off your batteries - so a couple outlets would probably do it. If you run your main RV power cord (with a 15amp adapter) you can power the whole coach easily, but you'll need to shut down your converter and the breakers for other draw items you don't want to use.

As other's said, keep the inverter close as possible to the batteries and the cables even length and short as possible to the batteries. Cable length to your outlets, if you choose to go that way, don't matter.

Amazon is a great place to buy your inverter and the connecting cables. Believe 4 guage is recommended.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Dutch Star has 4 Interstate GC-2 6 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. We don't have any trouble running what we want, but have to remember to watch the hair dryer, microwave/convection oven and electric coffee pot. Can't run more than one at a time. But usually I start the generator for the micro/convection.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was looking at a wiring diagram that someone on this site had. I felt the easiest way would be just to wire it to a transfer switch so that every plug was capable of r
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I was looking at a wiring diagram that someone on this site had. I felt the easiest way would be just to wire it to a transfer switch so that every plug was capable of r
Running off the inverter. I have decided we want to boondocks or dry camp about half the time in the southwest during the winter. The RV. parks can get pretty pricey, and we could save a lot by going to a park every 10 days or so to replenish water, dump tanks, and do laundry. I think the batteries needed, and the inverter would pay for itself in one year. If I need a bigger inverter I would do it. Also, I've been thinking about portable solar panels that can be put anywhere around the RV to maximize efficiency. That way, I wouldn't have to climb up on the roof and tilt the panels every time we parked somewhere.

My Motorhome only had one 12v house battery when I bought it. It was new, so one of my conditions of purchase was to install another battery. I was thinking about 4 AGM batteries 6v of course.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a added-on 3000 watt inverter with remote on/off switch. I plug in the shore power cord to a 30 amp RV receptical connected to the inverter. 4 six volt batteries. Short cables is important. Powers up the whole coach. Just need to be sure and switch the reefer to propane. Starting the genny invokes the built-in transfer switch (inverter to genny, instead of shore power to genny.

Work in progress to add a few hundred watts of solar panels.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Daveb1 - I'd think you would place the new inverter/converter in the same location as the present converter/charge as you mentioned unless space in that location is a problem. Do you have a "mobile RV service" in your area? If you don't do it yourself that might be better than some of the big RV shops.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said "In the compartment next to the batteries"

Good spot.

Use very heavy wire 4/0 or bigger between the battery positive and the "T" fuse, and between the "T" fuse and the inverter/converter Positive terminal. and between the Inverter/Converter negative terminal and the battery negative.

As much as possible tape the negative and positive wires side by side (or put 'em in a wire loom)

KEEP your old converter, even if you do not connect it,, You never know.. My Prosine had to visit the factory for warranty replacement, the OEM converter kept the batteries up (Actually I use the Prosine as the backup converter all the time,, Like it better that way for assorted reasons but your converter may be different than mine).
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thats a good suggestion about keeping the old converter/charger. You are right, you never know. Everything Ive been reading outside this community is sometimes confusing. Some say just get the flooded cell batteries, and some say the AGM batteries are the best. I know they are almost double the price though. I would really like to avoid going the solar route. I was hoping I could run the genny for 2-3 hours a day and keep my batteries charged that way. It would cost 6-8 dollars a day to do that. At the price of fuel, thats about 1800 a year. hmmmm maybe I should rethink this solar thing.

Tags
install, inverter