Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 11:43 PM   #1

Where to register?

I think I may be leaving NYC and go on the road full time. Where does one buy register a trailer/5th wheel or a motor home and what about tax implications and taxes? Any help appreciated.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 PM   #2

DMV, just like you register your car or truck.

If you are planning to remain a NY state resident, that's your best if not only choice.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #3
paz

It's usually easier to get a loan before you're full-time, but you may end up paying more in sales tax that way - depending on how much sales tax is in New York compared to the state in which you are thinking about establishing residency after going full-time.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

You can do a search on this forum for "domicile". Can also look at escapees.com website.
Lots and lots to read and learn about all sorts of issues with full time rv living. Definitely doable just good to know what others have done and already blazed the path before us.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I think I may be leaving NYC and go on the road full time. Where does one buy register a trailer/5th wheel or a motor home and what about tax implications and taxes? Any help appreciated.
I lived in NYC back in the 60s and 70s as a child. Going from there to fulltime RVing has got to be a major culture shock. The only thing that might not be so different is the size of your new "apartment" Being on the road is nothing like a trip to Central Park. The road ahead is filled with exciting places.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #6

Thanks for all the answers. I'm a rent stabilize tenant and my landlord has offered me a sizable amount of money to move and looking to get my options in order before I give him an answer.
I would look to buy a small piece of property to store my stuff, a diesel truck and a 5th wheel and live in Mexico half the year, as I'm researching it my mind or what's left of it says stay where you are.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Stay or go? There's a lot to see and do when you live in an RV and can change your scenery or climate at will. The tax savings alone might be worth it. I bought my RV in March, 2 months before I retired, and registered it in South Dakota using the help of my mail forwarding company.

My Home Address, INC

SD has low excise tax on vehicles, no state income tax and my insurance rates are based on the small town rural address.

The easy thing to do is nothing, but only you can decide if that is the right decision for you.

I have been a full time RVer for 6 years and this is the best decision I ever made. I've seen some of this marvelous country and plan to see lots more. I live in perpetual Spring or Fall weather and RVers are the best house guests because they bring their own house.

I have met so many marvelous people. RVers are generally the "salt of the earth" type people. Their friendliness and willingness to help have made traveling so rewarding.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Along with South Dakota, Florida and Texas have low fees etc. and are good places to domicile! Best of luck! As already mentioned, Escapees.com is a great place to start!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote