RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Where to sanitize fresh water tank?

Hi all,

We're about to get a new RV and want to start off on the right foot by actually sanitizing the fresh water tank regularly. (We never used the fresh water tank on our travel trailer, so we also never sanitized it. I know, it was dumb.)

I know the procedure; it's pretty simple. The problem I have is... where can I actually do it? Our storage facility has electric, but neither water nor sewer, so we can't do it there. We can't do it at home because our HOA doesn't allow us to park an RV on our property and the police don't allow us to park it in the street, not even for just an hour (we've gotten a ticket before).

I'm sure that we're not the first people to be in this situation, but searches aren't turning anything up for me. How have others solved this problem in the past?

schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

Why not a campground?....Go a day early, do it there, and go home at night, then back the next day.......Or, have the place you're getting it from do it before you pick it up...

Old 07-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #3

10 to 20 minutes out from the campground stop to gas up. Ask to fill your water tank, add chlorine. Drive to campground and empty fresh water tank. No?
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The manual says that you're supposed to leave the solution in the tank and plumbing for at least several hours, and that it's best (once the pipes are full) to drive around for a while to make sure it sloshes into everything. So that's time that we wouldn't be able to use any of the fixtures.

I'm not sure how much of that is actually necessary. I've never heard of a bleach solution needing more than a few minutes. The CDC's official recommendation for sanitizing drinking water containers calls for only 30 seconds.

You're probably right that paying for an extra night of "camping" is the way to go. I was hoping for something simpler that I was just overlooking. All the sites within an hour of my house are booked every weekend until September at least, and I was hoping not to have to do this after work during the week.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

I do mine during the night.......lol......surly there's a place around to dump water......
Old 07-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

Where to sanitize fresh water tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I do mine during the night.......lol......surly there's a place around to dump water......
go to campground but bleach in tank fill tank run thru all systems hot and cold flush a few times dump water refill fresh water tank run thru all systems … go to bed!
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Brutal HOA if you ask me.....how do you prepare for a trip if they won't let you park and pack?

Curious.....
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #8

You said you never used the fresh water tank in your trailer. That's very strange.

Fill it up at a gas station or call nearby RV parks to ask if you can fill a fresh water tank. Some will charge a fee but if that's what you have to do....

Go fill it up and add your bleach. Take it back to the storage facility overnight. Next day go somewhere - a gravel parking lot and dump the water.

Your situation is not ideal. Personally, I wouldn't sanitize a new RV. We've RVd for over 50 years and never sanitized a tank and we drank from it and used the water for everything.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Brutal HOA if you ask me.....how do you prepare for a trip if they won't let you park and pack?
Gradually. Usually we bring over non-perishable goods a couple days before, perishables the day before, and laundry when we bring the truck. (Laundry could go earlier, but we're usually catastrophically behind on our laundry, so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You said you never used the fresh water tank in your trailer. That's very strange.
We haven't got a generator, and being in the South without A/C is not a pleasant experience. Perhaps there are campgrounds out there with electric but not water, but we haven't stayed at any.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #10

Where does the rain water go when it rains at your storage facility? I am sure that it rains there! It has to drain someplace!

Here’s what I would do- go to your storage facility, connect up, drive to a gas station (you can’t even park in front of your house to fill the FWT? Ridiculous!) Add un scented Clorox (about 1/4 cup/15Gal water) using your 12Vdc water pump (bypass the HWH) fill the water system pipes, go back to your storage facility, Park o’night, go back the next day and drain! It is almost pure water.

Remember if you are on a city water system that water has been treated with chlorine (state health law) or something similar to purify it. If the is any grass around the storage area they are watering it with chlorinated water themselves.

After all this is NOT rocket science! You are just draining your water tank, the excess chlorine will dissipate very fast. You will have to refill/drain a couple of times to flush out the residual chlorine.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #11

Wow well that’s pretty restrictive. So the basic easy to do it without anyone questioning you would be to fill it before you leave and then when you get to the campground just finish the job. Or when you leave the campground fill it then dump when you get back. You don’t need to let it sit for long so a 2hr drive slushing around would be fine. If you bring it to your house I can’t imagine they can stop you from loading your trailer, so while you are loading it fill the water tank. I would just dump it at my house or the storage unit like what was already said it won’t hurt anything.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:08 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks all. As I suspected, I was just overcomplicating things. I might try using our house water and just literally standing at the RV the entire time I'm filling up to see if that wards off all the petty tyrants.

Several years ago, before we bought our own RV, we were renting a class C. We had it parked on the street/sidewalk next to our house to load it. Well, my wife ran to the store to get some food and I had to see a man about a horse. When I came back out a few minutes later, there was a parking ticket on the windshield. We'd even left the engine running so that nobody would think we planned to leave it there. My wife was about ready to put all our stuff in that old C and abandon the house when I told her what had happened.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #13

I would read the city statutes about street parking very closely. I am sure the city allows for some "hours" of street parking. Unless your specific street does not allow parking at all. Then read your HOA codes very closely.

Short story.

Acquaintance of mine was a avid bass fisherman. HOA stated 24hrs for rv/boat parked in driveway or property in front of house. Friday night after dinner (about 7pm) he would pull his boat from storage and park it in the driveway for loading. With a depart time of 4am Saturday morning.

Every time he parked the boat in the driveway the neighbor across the street would call the HOA. A rep from the HOA would come down the street and argue with him that his boat was parked illegally and threaten legal action.

He ended up getting a court ruling baring the HOW from contacting him in person, stating he was within the rules of the HOA and warning the HOA for harassment.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You may well be right. The more I think about it, the more I think that the HOA has no authority to write "tickets" for parking on city streets.

And regarding my parking ticket from the police, after reading the county ordinances I think I see where I went wrong. I parked facing the wrong way, and I'm pretty sure I had a tire or three on the sidewalk. I was trying to get as much out of the road as possible, which, somewhat perversely, may have been a mistake.

Perhaps if I'm feeling adventurous I'll give it another shot.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water