Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

Where To Start?

I hope I can get some good information on preparing for the RV life. I am close to retirement and have been giving some thought on what to do and how to spend time afterwards. I doubt if I will stop work completely at this point, but, I want some freedom and choices if I continue in another capacity. I am an RN and had given some thought of working travel nursing after retirement. The good thing about that is the locations around the country and the ability to take assignments of 3 months at a time. Maybe work 3 on 3 off or 6 of 6 off. I have worked travel in the past and I know its something I can handle. My issue, this being an RV forum, is how will I get from place to place and make the most of the experience. I have read in agency flyers about travel nurses using RVs to go from place to place. I like would love to see some of the country. It sounds like it would be an enjoyable experience. This is my first foray into any kind of forum and hope that I can get some pointers on what I need to take into account. I know I will not be buying new and I will be traveling with a companion and no pets. I have so many questions. But I'll keep it short for now.
Flyingdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #2

When we were buying our first RV's, we talked with quite a few traveling nurses. I bet that would be a great way to enjoy retirement. Good luck!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

You can try going to
Sovrn Container
There are a few articles there for travelling nurses with RVs.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

Traveling RN's have a lot of flexibility for work. There are temp agencies that specialize in getting them temp jobs all over the country.

That said, if you don't have an RV, you have three choices, Travel Trailer (TT), a Fifth Wheel trailer (Fiver) or a Motor Home, (Coach). The first two require a tow vehicle. The last generally requires you to tow a vehicle (Toad) for getting around economically. That can be done by either towing 4 down (all four wheels on the ground) or using a tow dolly or trailer. My choice is a full up Motor Home towing a smaller vehicle 4 wheels on the ground.

You haven't mentioned your experience (if any) with RV's or towing, so no one can really answer for you. If you can give us a little more information, there are lots of people here who will be glad to assist and give you the benefit of their experience. Your will have to weed through everything they say to find the kernels of gold that will help you in your journey. It's PHUN! Enjoy the ride.

Fire away with your questions.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Traveling RN's have a lot of flexibility for work. There are temp agencies that specialize in getting them temp jobs all over the country.

That said, if you don't have an RV, you have three choices, Travel Trailer (TT), a Fifth Wheel trailer (Fiver) or a Motor Home, (Coach). The first two require a tow vehicle. The last generally requires you to tow a vehicle (Toad) for getting around economically. That can be done by either towing 4 down (all four wheels on the ground) or using a tow dolly or trailer. My choice is a full up Motor Home towing a smaller vehicle 4 wheels on the ground.

You haven't mentioned your experience (if any) with RV's or towing, so no one can really answer for you. If you can give us a little more information, there are lots of people here who will be glad to assist and give you the benefit of their experience. Your will have to weed through everything they say to find the kernels of gold that will help you in your journey. It's PHUN! Enjoy the ride.

Fire away with your questions.
Well said Scot! Like he said, any questions just ask.

My x-brother in law was a traveling nurse, only he used a boat he lived in and only took assignments near a coast line. He said he bought a small car to get around and then sold it when he was finished with his assignments.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Lots of good information here for you to read and lots of folks to answer your questions.
I have known a few traveling nurses and docs who have used and RV to get around in and live in. You should be able to make it work. Good luck
momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the retirement! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #8

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I have been reading a lot about the pros and cons of RVing but I am not discouraged. I have made a wish list or research list, whichever is appropriate. I definitely want a class A because I like the living space options. I like amenities (satellite TV/radio, washer/dryer, hot water on demand, etc.) Not ready to be off the grid, yet. What about build quality, durability, service, and getting replacement parts? As I said, I'm not buying new, but I'd like to get the best value for my money. Thanks.
Flyingdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV show visits will help you a lot.

Get the best quality rig you can afford. If you can afford a used Newmar, Tiffin, or Entegra, you can be pretty confident it was built well.

Read through some of the gas-vs-diesel threads here on IRV2.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at Escapees "boot camp" info. You might want to spend a few days attending one of those.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #11

Have talked to a couple of nurses who were doing just what you are thinking about--should do fine as a work setup. Just read up/listen to all the posts on these and other forums and go to some RV shows to get a feel for what you would be comfortable in. From your description of desired amenities, about a 38-40' Class A would fit the bill. The brands mentioned above will be good bets to be a quality build--but all RVs can suffer some problems--none of them are completely problem-free.
Good luck in your search.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #12

Having lived in a few remote locations, I remember visiting nurses, doctors and even a bank on a barge in the far north. What would be the possibilities/pitfalls of a nurse travelling around to RV parks servicing the needs of travellers? Could be paid in bar-b-que, beer or other camp fare. Just a thought.
WillyB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

There are many full-timers out there who are traveling nurses. Here is a recent post on the subject. Hopefully, "FAT CHANCE' will chime in with some help for you or try doing a email to him. You might also do a post in the Full-timer's section of this forum and title it 'Traveling Nurses' to get more specific information. Good luck!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/trave...rv-310700.html
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote