RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #1

Where to store motor home for a couple months

We will be going for the first time to Florida from Indiana for 2 months beginning in January. We have thought about taking the motor home a little ways south in October to store to avoid possible bad weather driving in January. Any suggestions? Prefer to go down 75 but could go 65.

Captngrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #2

I understand your idea, but I would reconsider your storage plan. If you have flexibility of a few days for leaving, you most probably will find a day that will be safe to leave. Even after a big snow storm, it won’t be long until they will have the interstates clean and after 9-10 hours of driving you will be in Atlanta. A short drive down 32 and your on I-69. Even with storing your RV south, if you leave on a snowy day, you will still be driving some type of vehicle on the snow. Seems to me it would be simpler and safer to just leave on the best day forecasted. We live in Indiana and drive all year round, even going North at times. The interstates are usually fine and if not, we just have to slow down. If we could pick between a few days when we would leave, we almost always would find clean roads. Have a great trip!

Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #3

Almost all Self Store places have outdoor storage for RVs.

Find one, park it with batteries disconnected and go home.

There is some real nice stuff to leave in the RV to keep mold and bugs away.

I've used it for 10 years while storing my boat and 4 years while storing my RV, while on my boat.

https://www.eastcoasthardware.com/14...hoCn-QQAvD_BwE
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #4

Not sure if this will work but checkout,

NIRVC in Atlanta
Old 09-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #5

We leave from Ontario in January. We just wait for a decent two day window in the weather and head out. You are way farther south than us. I think you are over thinking this. Usually we get south of Toronto, and don't see snow or ice on the road the rest of the way south.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We left our rig in California last winter for 6 weeks. Very handy, and the storage cost was less than the fuel to drive it to Iowa and back. We had hard dates when we needed to be back in Iowa in November, and hard dates we needed to be in Arizona in January. It was just easier to do the distance driving in our Jeep Grand Cherokee. We can drive 12 hour days at speed limit in the GC, and the drive took much less time than taking the motorhome. We will be doing something similar this year but storing in a different location since our plans are different. Works for us.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 AM   #7

I have driven to Nappanee IN a couple times from FL and have taken both I-75 and I-65. I find the best route for me from IN is 31S to I-65 and follow that Interstate south into Alabama and then start angling down 231 toward FL. You miss all the mountains on this route. A very pleasant route. I am going to MN next year with a stop in IA and will take this route again.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote