Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
After we found something that was going to work for us really well, we called on our full time rv friends and we all met at Freedom RV in Tucson and they checked it all out.. I just waited outside until they were done.. The women really know how to pick an RV apart and the men on the mechanics of it.. We were advised it was a heck of a deal, we then sat down with the money people. We turned down their offers 3 times and they finally came to terms we could live with and a week later we drove it off the lot. We traded in our Ford diesel and KZ toy hauler. We rented a UHaul motorcycle trailer got get our bike home and towed behind the HR.. so far 6500 miles of no problems. getting ready to head out for Tucson for the winter again.. I won't be looking to trade again.. I think the key to our success was having our full time friends check it out for us.

2004 Holiday Rambler DST
Jefferson City, Missouri
Navy vet 67/71 Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
HR2004 Wish I knew more RV folks but don't, so will have to figure it out with the help of my online friends - Thank you - Bob

bmattei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
You have good points about trying to buy the full-time rig first. In the long run if we got the right rig it would be cheaper that way - but there are budget issues that may make it difficult.

Thanks - Bob
Old 11-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #18
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
We belong to a Caddie Car Club and for about 6 years we spent looking for a finished oldie. At a Club brunch we sat across from a couple that had 2 - 64 devilles one a white Eldo convert and a Burgundy deville convert that they were selling. I went out there to look at them and in the driveway was a 1982 Pace Arrow.
I bought the Burgundy convert (a beaut I might add).
About a month later I got the itch about his MH and I called him and he still had it. So we went out in the 64 to look a little closer. The exterior was in pretty bad shape as far as Blk mold from the Maple tree it was sitting under summers for the last 6 years, He had a stroke and was downsizing his collection, but the interior was just mint and all original and I new I could get it too look alot better with a good cleaning of the outside. We made a offer and they accepted it. Joe drove the caddie home and I followed in the Pace Arrow and the rest is history.
Happy Hoildays,
I like the vintage RVs - if I was handier with a wrench I'd consider it. Looks like it worked out well for you.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club

First, we're retired schoolteachers, so by definition a used coach was the only way we could afford a Class A.

Second, we live but 20 minutes from PPL in Houston, so I had a plentiful supply of used coaches to choose from.

Third, I came home from the gym one day and my wife said, "I think we should buy that Winnebago we saw the other day." That was it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when my wife says, "let's buy", I listen.

So we did a test drive and another, much closer, walk through. Then we made an offer, and the deal was done.
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
Not as close to a major RV outlet here in Ma. But hopefully we'll find something.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #21
Keep an open mind on the "buy local" mindset. Road trips can be a blast. One to Florida and/or Texas might be all you need.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
ahicks is giving you some good solid advice. If you buy a MH just because it's cheap and fits your budget, you may not like RV'ing as much as you thought you would, which could ruin it down the road for your bigger plans. You may not have all the comforts that have come along in recent years, or you may experience alot of maintenace issues that sour you on the whole experience. If at all possible buy bigger than you wanted to, and that doesn't mean you have to buy new. If you have $30,000 cash to put down you can buy alot of MH, if you are planning on spending $30,000 and financing some of that your choices may be limited.

We spent over two years researching the way you started here and then going out looking at what you could get for various price points, cash vs financing ect. We originally started looking at used MH's but didn't find what we really wanted. I continued to save money( I had been saving for several years prior) while we continued our research which helped with our ultimate decision. We ended up buying at least our 2nd or 3rd MH, if not our last, First...My wife was apprehensive of MH'ing at first, but now she loves it due to the MH we bought. If you have to finance, you can always pay off the MH when you sell your house, and save yourself the cost of buying multiple MH's to get to where you really want to be. This is just how it worked out for us. Look at all your options before making your decision. Good Luck.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #23
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Keep an open mind on the "buy local" mindset. Road trips can be a blast. One to Florida and/or Texas might be all you need.
Yes - we're considering taking a road trip.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:56 AM   #24
We started our search not sure what we wanted. Class C like our first rig which we loved or go to a class A. Gas or diesel?? We went to local dealers websites, Rev shows, private sellers and even out if state sites. One rig we found out of state we liked and were very interested in. We were lucky to have someone from this site that lived near the rig go and look at it for us and give us feedback. We had our hearts set on that rig but after the report back we walked away from it. We then found a private seller that was in our town with their rig and saw it but it didn't have the CCC needed so we passed on it. It was perfect and we tried to figure a way but it just would not carry it tow what we needed. We found a rig at a local dealer and made an offer which was not accepted. We just about gave up when at another dealer web found 3 we liked. Went and looked at them, did some homework on them and went back again to really inspect them. Oddly the one that was the lowest on our list was the one we made ban offer on and with some back and forth we bought it.

A used 06 Winnebago Sightseer 29R. It ticked off all the boxes we were looking for.

We started out open to new or used, floor plan was important as well as storage space.

We are happy campers and just love out rig. It took us about a year give or take to find it but we were not in a rush and knew sooner or later then right one would find us.
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Special Edition
2001 Ford F150 4x4
Us (Bob and shaz) plus (5 dogs)
usplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #25
Searching for our first MH, we spent about six months researching and viewing coaches locally and online. We ended up buying ours from a dealer on consignment. We just loved the floor plan and size. Our offer included about $6,000 in repairs and accessories. Our bid was declined for a month before finally being accepted. We didn't get a great bargain, but were busy preparing to liquidate our house and belongings from three decades so figured having the dealer handle our desired improvements was worth a slight premium. The dealer did take some prodding to live up to all our demands. They argued over many agreed-on items and took 10 weeks to perform them. However, we have no regrets and are in year two of enjoyable full-timing.
2003 Itasca Sunrise 32v F53
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #26
National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Bob,
It doesn't say where you are from on your profile. If you find one near me, I would be glad to check it out for you.
I recently found a 35' that I am interested in but it is out near Kansas City which is 1200 miles from me. I never thought about trying to find another IRV2er near there to check it out for me. Great idea as this forum is so full of people who willingly try to help.
When you figure out a little more of WHAT you want, you should post it here and maybe someone will know of a good one. I know of 2 right now that look like good buys, but don't know what you are looking for.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Lazy Days, 2000 GS Scenic Cruiser, Fulltime,March 2001, trade in & financed balance
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #28
Originally Posted by bmattei View Post
Not as close to a major RV outlet here in Ma. But hopefully we'll find something.
Since you are in MA, Take a look at Diamond in West Hatfield (just off I-91 Exit 22N). They are fairly big We purchased our new 5er there and have been happy with the sales folks and the service. Frank or Smitty as sales and Sara as the service manager. They have a fairly large number of new and used Class A, B and C's on the lot as well as trailers - and no, I have no vested interest. We chose them (120 miles/2.5 hours away) after being turned off by the local 'biggie' a few miles away and a couple others a little further out.

Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is online now   Reply With Quote