Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattei View Post
Price is good. They are promising a 6 month/ 6000 mi bumper to bumper warranty - would not do deal if I do not get warranty. I am thinking of getting a professional rv inspector to take a look. In sellers favor they told me about the issue up front. On the other hand there are plenty of rvs out there - though it's hard to find one with no issues and a reasonable price.
I would not put a lot of faith in a warranty from a used RV seller. Having warranty paper and getting work performed are two different things; especially if 2 hours away.

Seller can't fix everything that comes up not working after you take delivery. That kind of all-inclusive promise wouldn't work with any business model, so take it with a large grain of salt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I would not put a lot of faith in a warranty from a used RV seller. Having warranty paper and getting work performed are two different things; especially if 2 hours away.

Seller can't fix everything that comes up not working after you take delivery. That kind of all-inclusive promise wouldn't work with any business model, so take it with a large grain of salt.
Yes - that's one of my concerns - how 'real' is the warranty.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #59

Your OP brings up an interesting question about what the top priorities are when inspecting a used unit. The word, "top", meaning what takes the most money to repair/replace'/correct in the soonest time-frame.

IMO, a soft roof is a deal breaker. If a roof hasn't been looked after, then inspect caulk at tops of all windows and other seams for cracking. All of those allow water to get into the wall structure.

If tires are 8 years old....the should be replaced ASAP and that's regardless of the amount of tread left on them.

A/C units and all appliances can and should be inspected by you; not by somebody else. Oil analysis on engine and tranny are worth it if you'd really like the unit, but are still on the fence.

Most, if not all, bills of sale state, "As is, where is". If that's the case, then the warranty stands on its own, with option by seller about if, how, and how much to make things correct....within their timeframe; not yours.

This isn't rocket science or meant to be a warning. Just treat it like you're buying a car/boat/house all rolled into one, with at least that many systems to inspect.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #60

I'm most concerned about water damage - i agree the roof is key. Also concerned about water damage that could have been caused by plumbing or appliance issues. Besides inspecting around toilet, tub and sinks what other areas are most likely to have water damage?

Would you go as long as 8 years on the tires? Others have suggested no more then 5.

What about rust? when I'm under the rig what rust should concern me?

Fridge, AC, generator seem to be things that often need fixing. What other systems, appliances commonly have problems?

Leveling systems also seem to be a common problem - who repairs them and is it generally an expensive fix?

Thank you. Bob
Old 12-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #61

Your questions are becoming more challenging....

Water damage - Other than the ceiling, you'll want to look under all windows, and along the top of all walls. If you can access it without too much trouble, the windshield frame on Class A's would be nice to see as well.

Tires - wow, lots of opinions here. As they get older, I think a lot of their condition could depend on how they've been used and stored. If I saw some 5 year old tires that appeared to be in great condition (perfect tread, no cracks in the tread) I might be tempted to use them for a while longer. Others may not. Lots of variables here. Like are we talking about the front axle of a 42', or the back of a 28'?

Rust is never good. Different opinion of surface rust vs. something where chips are flaking off?

Expensive repair list might also include the slide mechanism. If equipped, you'll want to see it working smoothly. Same with a leveling system. When it comes to expense of getting either fixed, price of parts can vary widely, Could be a fuse or circuit breaker, could be a hydraulic pump?

Your list did not include chassis related stuff. Like cruise controls and radiators. Those both generate a lot of questions here. If considering a DP, plan on getting that chassis checked out by a pro. And remember there's darn few RV stealerships that will have a "pro" on staff - despite what they lead you to believe. -Al
Old 12-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #62

I'm on my 6th RV, here is the quick rundown

#1 Private Seller in California, Jayco Class C
#2 Private Seller in Texas, Thor Class C
#3 Auction in Nevada, Fleetwood Class A Gasser
#4 Estate Sale in Oregon, Monaco Class A DP
#5 Private Seller in Colorado, Newmar Class A DP
#6 Bank Repo in California, Winnebago Class A Gasser

All of these purchases were significantly cheaper than the same/similar coach on a dealers lot.

Easiest Purchases was the auction/Bank Repo. Both of those units were in showroom quality and very low miles, no scratch's, dents or ding, in fact I couldn't even tell if they had been used. Basically wrote a check, they did the paperwork and 20 minutes later I owned the coach.

You can also tell that I have no brand loyalty, In each case I got exactly what I paid for quality wise and was happy. The reason there were no brand repeats is simple, I purchase floor-plan not a name, granted there are some models, more than brands, that I shy away from due to bad reputations, but floor-plan is what I shop for. Each coach was used differently, some we had kids, then kids got dirt bikes, then kids grew up, now I am full-timing with just me and my honey. So the floor-plan is purchased for the use.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #63

Where, what, why, when and how did you buy your RV?

ChrisKW - It seems like you bought new coaches from out of state dealers. Can you offer any advice on that process?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattei View Post
I'm most concerned about water damage - i agree the roof is key. Also concerned about water damage that could have been caused by plumbing or appliance issues. Besides inspecting around toilet, tub and sinks what other areas are most likely to have water damage?

Would you go as long as 8 years on the tires? Others have suggested no more then 5.

What about rust? when I'm under the rig what rust should concern me?

Fridge, AC, generator seem to be things that often need fixing. What other systems, appliances commonly have problems?

Leveling systems also seem to be a common problem - who repairs them and is it generally an expensive fix?

Thank you. Bob
Haven't heard from you for while. How are you doing with the new to you MH?
WE didn't get to go this winter but I am going next weekend for 2-3 days of winter camping.
Ran the Gennie this afternoon for 2 hours with the electric heater going she didn't skip a beat and did well I actually fell asleep!!!! We'll have full hookups but will only use the electric as the MH is winterized.
Predicting 12 above as highs and -2 for lows.
Not Quartzite buy far!!
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #65

Been there done that and started a Tee Shirt concession stand.

1. Remember that NADA is not accurate. There are two NADA books, one is retail and one is wholesale. My bank gives me wholesale numbers on units I am interested in.
2. Remember a new RV motorhome, trailer, etc., depreciates 18-20% as soon as you drive it off the dealers lot.
3. Remember in the second year the RV depreciates 12-15% more.
4. Third year 8-10%.
5. Fourth year 7-8%

So on and on until it reaches its salvage value.

Just take the lowest NADA value subtract 10-15% and you will see around what the dealer will offer you on a trade in.

Now also remember that older RV's can get an extended warranty but as the vehicle gets older sooner or later it reaches a point that the warranty companies want cover it any longer. In some cases that is 13-15 year old vehicles.

Didn't mean to get on the price kick but I have found the right floor plan on several MHs we want but the price was way out of line with depreciation.

If buying used insist on an independent inspection by a reputable RV inspection service. Then and only then finalize price.

Good luck to you and happy motoring.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 AM   #66

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was out camping with the DW in our little popup with the kids and grandkids, we had a tent set up for the grandkids, well it rained all weekend. At the campground I was out riding my mountain bike and got the urge for a candy bar and went to the campstore. Ran into one of my biking buddies I didn't know was there. The Park I go to is very popular with mountain bikers and we always seem to run into people there. I invited them back to our campsite and a little later they showed up. We chatted and we showed them our popup. Told them then that someday we would like to upgrade to a class C. Well because of the rain and trying to put away a tent and a popup it took us 3 hours to pack up as well as having to open everything up when we got home so we could dry it out. The next day my buddy sent me a post on Facebook with the caption "Here you go" it was a Class C that someone in our biking community was selling on Craiglist but also sent it out on Facebook. Turns out I knew them but was not friends with them. They sent it out and there friends sent it out and my friend sent it to me. We called and there was so much interest in there Motorhome the only thing they could do was take people in order of the emails, we were like 6th on the list so we waited. Got the call a couple days later that it was available and we took off 90 miles to Cincinnati to go look at it. Took it out for a drive, climbed all over it and checked it out. Being a mechanic and handyman I felt comfortable checking it out myself. Well a deposit and IOU later we were driving home in our new to us motorhome. We have gone back to several biking ralleys since and have had many people come to us and say it is great the motorhome has stayed in the biking community. The party we bought it from bought a new motorhome and have had nothing but trouble with it. They have jokingly contacted us and asked if we would be interested in selling ours back to them. We have a 1989 Fleetwood Tioga, built like a tank.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool story,
have any Pic's?
Thanks,
tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #68

Thanks Okie.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #69

From a private party via a consignment lot. It was close to home and was the first one we looked at....then spent a good 2-1/2 months looking at many, many others. We then went back for a second look and made an offer. After almost a month we came to terms and purchased.

What sold us...It was a Newmar w/comfort drive, low miles (12.7K), stored inside most of it's life and stilled smelled new inside.

We are very happy with it.

Cheers,
Don & Gayle

CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote