Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Whew! The deeper I get, the deeper I get!!

Ongoing search for our new MH, and home for the next 1-2 ??? years. Loved DP idea: Journey/Meridian and Vectra…too expensive (want to pay cash and have $50K+- budget). Then Class A gasser…think I want to avoid Workhorse chassis because they are out of business…but LOTS of Workhouse out there. Really liked the 2001-2002 Fleetwood Southwind 35R, but only 30 amp service available then. Later models start pushing into the DP price range. Do I finance $20K or so? Going to rent a 30' Class C from Cruise America next weekend to see how it feels, though I think Class A will be better for full timing. Think 35-36' is minimum for full timing, but wonder about V10 power at that length and like a few 32' models. Would like to tow a 4300lb Honda Pilot (already know the issues there!!) Head spinning!! Thoughts??

AZaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
One of thebest things I did when I was in the scouting / discovery phase in our journey to MH ownership was to visit a Good Sam Ralley and spend a day talking to the oweners of the various types of RVs. Here;s the bext on in AZ: Website:

Remember - always take free advise for what its worth.

J.J. Hayden (KN4SH)
Covington, GA
2005 National Dolphin 5342
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
Few folks say the V-10 won't hack it. Fuel is cheaper and maintenance cheaper and easier.

Not sure why you want 50 Amp service. Unless you are into a microwave or a dryer to run while two AC's are on 30 is enough. It's mostly an issue of lifestyle. Some people need to microwave and some put on the kettle. Propane vs electric. ;-)

A's and C's are different beasts. Don't judge the length of one based on the other for living or driving.

I think there are a lot of 30 - 35 ft units suitable for 2 people and a small dog as long as one can isolate one end from the other and have work space in both. Some rainy days folks just need private space. Some layouts have it and some do not. I consider the normal "dressing table" as workspace as a laptop will fit. ;-) Also we will only consider units that are mostly workable with the slide(s) in. Can block some storage but not the driver food bathroom route. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Take a good look at the Monaco DP's in the 2000-2002 range. Solid as a rock on the Roadmaster chassis! We love our Windsor!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Don't be afraid of Workhorse chassis. I have not found any problem with service or parts. My local GMC dealer maintains it and was former Workhorse authorized dealer. We love our Motorhome and just had upgrades done to it.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
National made a great product you can find a Dolphin or Sea Breeze 2005-2008 for just over 50k if you search. We traveled to Texas to buy ours. Just plan on new tires and I would suggest a chassis/engine inspection. We have the V-10 and it's been great so far.
2007 National Sea Breeze
rjsupersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Don't be afraid of Workhorse chassis. I have not found any problem with service or parts. My local GMC dealer maintains it and was former Workhorse authorized dealer. We love our Motorhome and just had upgrades done to it.
I absolutely agree with Tom. Our last MH was an '05 HR 36' Vacationer. It's WH chassis w/8.1 and the Allison tranny took us to all 48 lower states, 3 Prov. in Canada and several months in Alaska without missing a beat. The chassis is easily maintained and about as reliable as it gets. If I hadn't put it in a ditch, we would still be truck'n. We're having a hard time trying to replace it...sure had us spoiled.
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Smile Thank you!

Thanks for all of your responses!! I appreciate the thoughts on everyone's positive experiences with gassers. Nice to not be afraid of an otherwise good looking MH because it has a Workhorse chassis. Will continue the search...
AZaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
Here's a recent data point on older used Class A's. We had a 2002 Georgetown 325 on the F53 chassis with the V-10. It had a bedroom slide and a kitchen/dining room slide. We sold it last December because we weren't using it enough to justify the cost. It only had 18,000 miles from new. 11,000 were put on it by the original buyers in 8 years, we put the other 6,000 on in four years.

It was a very good rig. It rode like the 11-ton box truck it was, underneath, but we expected that. !500 miles a year didn't justify major suspension work. After the dealer we sold it to had fixed a few minor problems, he sold it for $24K We got $19,200 out of the deal. Not great, and only half what we paid for it four years earlier.

We already miss being able to plan trips, but it just wasn't financially feasible to be RVers.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #10
Wether to go with a gas ofr diesel really depends on how you drive. If you like to get over the hills quickly geta diesel as the will backup the hill faster than the gasser will go forward up them especially when pulling a toad and loaded. If you don't mind slow going there is nothing wrong with a gas MH. I have been a diesel guy for 20 years in my pickups after having a gas pull vehicle for my 5th wheels and now I am a DP guy for the MH and even though diesel fuel, mant and upfront cost is more I would never go back to a gas motor unless I just could not afford the diesel.
Rod and Emma
2015 Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL9, 380hp, 28ft Car Hauler Trailer, 2014 Ford, C-Max, 2004 Honda VTX1800, 2003 Honda Gold Wing, GL1800 w/2 Seat Champion Sidecar
GoldWing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
There are a whole lot to choose from in your budget.

Some of you may be old enough to remember this slogan except they were talking about an airline.

DP. It's the only way to fly.
Jay & Patty Executive Director Liberty Farms
County Coach Magna. Magna Carta "Maggie"
99 Jeep GC/05 SAAB 9-2x Aero (AKA Unicorn)
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #12
Happy Traveler : )

no worries - we made a decision to put our home on the market and go fulltiming - went 'shopping' for the best RV home for us, wife really wanted fifth wheel - more room for us.
Purchased a newly slightly used Blackwood fifth wheel bunkhouse with Dodge 3500 pull vehicle - quickly realized that traveling with this 'setup' did not work well for me - too many logistics to consider when arriving and leaving parks.
Traded fifth wheel and truck for new FR GorgetownXL360DS within first month - gasser was find, but then we decided that the floorplan was not really the best for our longterm family 'roomy' needs.
Traded in the ClassA gasser for a ClassA Diesel Pusher within the next month. Everythings' good now : ) Traveled cross country twice, 19k miles, no problems.

I run an insurance agency from my coach, wife teaches two teens we have with us, and we can do and go whatever and whenever we want. Nice.

Floorplan is certainly a top consideration, but also consider whether you will be traveling a lot - ClassAs tend to be much easier to travel in, especially since you can 'use' your kitchen and bath while you're riding. Setup is much quicker and easier too.
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35' Bunkhouse
BlueOx, '14 Ford Fiesta, DishHD, KingTailgater2, WifiRanger
50k+miles, 200+ parks, 47 states&Canada provinces, since Aug'14
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
Class A, Class C, gas/diesel, cover a lot of areas to consider. While DP's can be more expensive to own, they do have their up sides. However not everyone is comfortable driving/maintaining a DP. Most of the current, last 10 years or so, gas MH's are easy to drive, easier to maintain for most people and fit their life style.
No matter what type/style MH one has, expect to 'tinker' with them a fair amount of the time. They all need to be taken care of.
For us we want the 'extra' room that a DP has and we tend to tow a lot. Not that a gas MH would not accomplish the same task though. Being that I worked with on larger equipment, I have no issues doing the 'extra' that I need to do on a DP.
Take you time, look around, talk to others that have the same type/style MH that you think you might like and ask lots of questions.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #14
Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia hills towing a RAV4 on a dolly with the Ford V10, maintained 70mph easily up and down the hills. DP's are nice, better accoutrements inside and no doubt superior power, but a gas rig will take you anywhere they will at lower cost.

vincee is offline   Reply With Quote