Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Which class decision

Thought I'd tap into all the knowledge and experience here in regard to a decision were trying to make. We are trying to decide if we should buy a 2011 30 foot Itasca Cambrea or a 36 foot Bounder 36R floorplan. There is only $7000 difference in the prices. Obviously the Itasca is a class C and the Bounder is an A. We really like then both but wonder about the trade offs in regard to maintenance - storing it at home- gas mileage- ability to park when running into town to look around etc.
mrmrsbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our first MH was a 17' Type B, then a 27' Type C, since then they're all been Type A's. I'd bypass the C and go to the A. Wish we had, would have saved a bunch of $$$.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Where do you intend to take it? Some state parks for example have length restrictions. We have some that won't accept over 30 feet nearby. MPG will be close to the same with either rig.

The C has some advantages when it comes to repairs on the road. A windshield or front end damage will have an array of parts that can be found, for example. The A is much more custom in nature from a chassis standpoint, but also has the advantage of a great "field of view" from the driving position and great interior room without the van front. If the two items that are benefits to the C you list are not an issue for you, the A is a great option, too.

Between these two, the ford engine in the Bounder has a higher HP rating than the Itasca, but you'll want to confirm the net cargo carrying capacity after all weight of the rig is factored (is on a sticker inside the RV). Both rigs appear to have good towing capacity overall. (Bounder has a higher tongue weight rating)

For me personally, at this life stage, I like having a shorter length when going down the road, especially when I include my 2003 tracker that I tow, so the 6 less feet is appealing, combined with the ability to camp in more locations. If I was living in it year around, the A has some great appeal if that was my life stage, but I still would be happy in at C with that floor plan.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #4

I used to restore vintage travel trailers as a hobby. Then decided we were going to GO CAMPING/TRAVELING. Two RV sales acquaintances told me from the start to get the biggest RV I thought we would like and I could afford. Did I do that. Ohhhhhhh Noooooooo. I did it my way.

Vintage trailer. Way to small.
New 18 foot trailer. Somewhat comfortable but I'm tired of hooking/unhooking, towing etc.
New 21 foot Class C. Nice. Comfortable. But got feeling closed in real fast.
Used 32 ft Southwind. Oh yeah! That's the one. Should have gotten the Class A in the first place.

Perhaps you can borrow or rent the different units to get a feel of what they are like and if they fit your comfort zone.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Well, obviously I'm a Bounder fan. However, I'd recommend that you and your wife take your time to walk through each and imagine yourselves with a "daily routine" in each one. How does the floorplan work for you? Is there sufficient counter space, bathroom space...does the layout feel comfortable? The most important thing about the RV will be how it works for you. Good luck and have fun; either will be a great choice.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While you're looking, why not go ahead and look at the 28-36 desiel pushers. Several brands out there. Won't cost much to look and you can then eliminate them from consideration, or buy one.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Would like a Diesel but can't afford one now. If we end up full timing it would be our choice.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go for the class A. Nicer view and more comfortable while driving.

With either one you will probably want to pull a toad and the A would do it better.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 2011 Bounder 36R. We moved up this year from a Hurricane 34S. Not much of a step up length wise, I know, but the difference is huge for the better. You have to decide what you'll be using it for. The Bounder has a ton of storage in and out and you really can't beat the bath and a half in the 36R.
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

I currently own a class A '93 22' Winnie Warrior. I've never owned a class C. However I was wishing I had a class C when I had to have the three belts changed on it. That was a chore I had to pay nearly $300 for. I just didn't feel like hanging by my heels and standing on my head to change the belts. If my RV was a class C I would have changed them myself.

Since the Winnie liked to go in every direction but straight I had to add Steer Safe to the front wheels. That hardware cost $350 plus 7% sales tax. I did the work myself. I understand that class C RVs drive like regular trucks and don't go down the interstate like wobbly goblins. Of course your class A may not be like mine was.

If you like to do your own maintenance, from what little bit I know, I think a class C would be a better choice. If you have the bucks to get any ordinary work done and your class A drives straight then go for the class A.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Go for the class A. Nicer view and more comfortable while driving.

With either one you will probably want to pull a toad and the A would do it better.
We towed a '95 Honda Odyssey on a dolly with our '97 Type C with no problems. In fact, usually the C has the same engine and much less weight than an A so they tow a towed easier. Been, there, and done it!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
I understand that class C RVs drive like regular trucks and don't go down the interstate like wobbly goblins. Of course your class A may not be like mine was.
Type C MH's are almost all built on a van cutaway chassis and are not like the Type A chassis at all.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
In regard to repairs etc. at age 72 I don't do much of that any longer - guess I could do some stuff if needed to but prefer to avoid all the hassle.

I'm wondering about the reliability of Fleetwood vs Wineabago products. Especially since Fleetwood ran into money issues and had to reorganize. I have done enough research on Winnebago in the past to believe they are very solid and take care of their customers but have heard bad stuff about Fleetwood. Any thoughts.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #14

The Cambria is a Ford chassis, correct?. While many owners love these, I remember Ford class C having severely restricted passenger side foot room due to a large engine cover. Assuming you would be pleased with either floor plan, driving each RV may help you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrsbb View Post
Thought I'd tap into all the knowledge and experience here in regard to a decision were trying to make. We are trying to decide if we should buy a 2011 30 foot Itasca Cambrea or a 36 foot Bounder 36R floorplan. There is only $7000 difference in the prices. Obviously the Itasca is a class C and the Bounder is an A. We really like then both but wonder about the trade offs in regard to maintenance - storing it at home- gas mileage- ability to park when running into town to look around etc.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote