Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #1

Have not yet ever joined any RV type clubs so am uncertain/confused why I should join and which should be considered first consideration. While on CW site, saw ad for Good Sam's, which has been recommended by friends. Started to join and immediately saw the offer for the Presidents Club at nearly the same 3yr price. Both seem to have ties to campsites and CW price breaks.

Why should I select one over the other? Should I then wait a while to explore other clubs? Note I will not be getting vehicle insurance thru any club, so that is not a benefit.
I would be looking for campsite discounts, perhaps roadside assistance if that is not a part of the vehicle insurance offer, and assessory purchase discounts if they are real.

In the past I have found that most discounts on motels really do not exist, as the clerks have multiple pricing structures and you are often fooled into believing you obtained a discount when you really got the standard price. I would suspect that camping sites operate about the same because years ago the clerks often cut the price for a few days stay if I hesitated in pulling my wallet out.

Appreciate recommendation on where to start with clubs, or perhaps wait until I have traveled more with the new trailer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #2

Have not yet ever joined any RV type clubs so am uncertain/confused why I should join and which should be considered first consideration. While on CW site, saw ad for Good Sam's, which has been recommended by friends. Started to join and immediately saw the offer for the Presidents Club at nearly the same 3yr price. Both seem to have ties to campsites and CW price breaks.

Why should I select one over the other? Should I then wait a while to explore other clubs? Note I will not be getting vehicle insurance thru any club, so that is not a benefit.
I would be looking for campsite discounts, perhaps roadside assistance if that is not a part of the vehicle insurance offer, and assessory purchase discounts if they are real.

In the past I have found that most discounts on motels really do not exist, as the clerks have multiple pricing structures and you are often fooled into believing you obtained a discount when you really got the standard price. I would suspect that camping sites operate about the same because years ago the clerks often cut the price for a few days stay if I hesitated in pulling my wallet out.

Appreciate recommendation on where to start with clubs, or perhaps wait until I have traveled more with the new trailer.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #3

If you are looking for camping discounts check out passport america. They have a 50% discount. I don;t belong but a lot of people use it Seem to like it. If you are looking for a club to join to go camping with other campers then check out WWW.FCRV.Org
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #4

To; all that have had experience with extended warranties.

Have Good Sam's CSP currently but looking to change to WarranyExperts.com. Their warranty on a used moho seems to cover many things not covered by the CSP, including awnings and wear and tear. The cost is about the same and starts at current date, not in service date, also starts at current milage for 36 months,36,000 miles or 48 months, 48,000 miles.

The differences are substantial and I can't help thinking, " If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is ".

Does anyone have this warrantyexperts coverage,, if so how has it worked at claim time.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or input.

Aime===== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-17-2006, 03:29 AM   #5

Check out Escappes at: www.escapees.com
Old 03-17-2006, 03:41 AM   #6

If you are looking for discounts and deals you have missed the point of joining a national RV club. I belong to Good Sams, FMCA, Escapees, and SMART. I also belong to a local club with each of the national ones. The idea is to enjoy the camping experience and fellowship of local and national membership provides. You need not subscribe to insurance, banking, purchase discounts, or road insurance. Those are available through many other sources. If you are only interested in getting something out of membership, you should not bother joining any clubs.

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Jimbo8264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:51 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

David C., to add to what the others have said....You don't mention anywhere in your profile what type rig you have,but many of the manafacturers have their own camping "clubs"....I've met some nice folks with similar rigs that live right in my own area...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #8

Thanks for all comments. Good points provided.

[quote: If you are looking for discounts and deals you have missed the point of joining a national RV club. ]

Well I am NOT just looking for discounts, but if they are real and available for some clubs and not others, that would be a point to know and consider. What I really need to know is why one club over another as first (if any) to join. I have been to several clubs' web sites, but have not obtained a clear picture of differences among the clubs as to their main purpose for existing. For example what is the biggest difference between Good Sam's and The Presidents Club?

[quote: The idea is to enjoy the camping experience and fellowship of local and national membership provides. ]

I would assume then that the clubs, local and/or national, organize travel tours or perhaps weeklong gatherings at various interesting locations around the nation.

[quote: You don't mention anywhere in your profile what type rig you have,but many of the manafacturers have their own camping "clubs"....]

I thought I had changed my profile a few days back, but maybe it doesn't show yet. I will check in a few minutes.
I recently purchased a new 2006 Jayco-TT 31BHS that I pick up in about a week, to be towed by '99 F-250 PSD CC LB. I have to wait until the new drive and parking pad being constructed for trailer has hardened before I can bring it home. First trip scheduled 1st of May to do a week's rebuilding work on Katrina damage in Gulfport area. Perhaps western month long tour late May thru June.

This is not our 1st trailer. Previously had a 30' Royal, which I sold in 1990 after having it for 14 years. So I am getting my feet wet again.

Really what we will use it for the first couple of years will be taking the grandkids places like we took our daughters some years ago. Group club tours not too likely, at least in near term. I have heard of a national Jayco Club, but I don't believe a local club exists per dealer comments. Have not yet explored this.

Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Site...

NORTH CAROLINA
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Club Contact Address City/State/Zip Web Site Email
#107 TRIAD JAYBIRDS Ed Nohlburg, President Route 2, Box 281 Madison, NC 27025 n/a n/a
#108 THE CAROLINA JAYBIRDS Teresa Young, President 3535 NC Hwy 801 South Advance, NC 27006 www.flight108.com tyoung04@yadtel.net
#74 TARHEEL JAYCOS Nola Alderman, President 3101 Julian Drive Raleigh, NC 27604 n/a n/a
#81 MILES MOUNTAINEERS Kevin Kubacki, President 206 Royal Avenue Albemarle, NC 28001 n/a kkubacki@ctc.net
START A CHAPTER IN NORTH CAROLINA! Recreational Club Management (800) 262-5178 Yourtown, NC Start a Club clubs@recclub.com[/list]
Old 03-18-2006, 05:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The CW President's CLub is only for discounts ar Camping World. It's not a "camping club" in the sense of organizing camping activities or even obtaining discount camp sites.

Good Sam has local clubs in most areas and is a good social organization as well as providing access to a broad range of RV-related services, campground discounts, etc. Just remember it GS a for-profit business owned by the same people that own Camping World.

The Escapees RV Club is also privately owned but is very much member services oriented. It is a national orgainization and has some affiliated campgrounds, but does not maintain local clubs the way Good Sam does.

Passport America focuses on campground discounts for their members. They are quite good for that aspect of RVing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:23 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:

Good Sam has local clubs in most areas and is a good social organization as well as providing access to a broad range of RV-related services, campground discounts, etc. Just remember it GS a for-profit business owned by the same people that own Camping World. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That being said.....It is entirely possible to "socialize" with some "Good Sam" folks at their local "Samborees" and never have anything to do with the business side...

(Just don't give anybody other than the local members your address or you'll get junk mail galore....)
Old 03-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #12

I appreciate these points. It begins to sound like I should not rush into any of these clubs just yet. Perhaps the Good Sam group will be first choice if/when we get a little more back into periodic outings, rather than special purpose trips currently planned. Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:51 AM   #13

To; David C.

Sorry my first posting was off topic.

Re; Which RV clubs to join.

We belong to FMCA, for moho's only and are members of 3 different chapters from different areas of Mass. and NH. We attend chapter rallys, camp-out, eat-out in the winter, depending where a particular event is located.

There is also the Good Sam club which has local chapters which meet and have rallys and eatouts. As mentoined above GS has a business side , but you don't have to be involved. In fact we will be going to an eat-out today with the Good Sam, North Shore Clam-Diggers, our local chapter,

Be a member of several groups gives you a choice. Of course, there's IRV2, a great group of people, no formal memberships, rules of conduct? yes, but we all need guidance. IRV2 and it's members are invaluable to both newbies and experienced RV'ers . There is a wealth of knowledge to tap into if neede as well as good friendships to be made.

Good luck on your choices.== Aimw== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #14

You are wise to take your time. There are RV'ers who tend to join every club that comes along just in case!

Years ago when our kids were younger we bought a membership in a private campground system. Along with it we received Coast to Coast. This worked out great because we had the same parks to go to when we went and knew many of the people(fulltimers). Since we bought into the resort when it was small, as it has grown so has the number of parks in our system which we can use for free.

We dropped CC cause it was costing more for dues than we were using it - at $8 a night it would take a lot of nights for it to even out. And there were rarely CC parks where we were heading.

We do have Good Sam because we liked their magazine but will probably not renew cause I don't want to pay to forward the magazine to us now that we are on the road. I will say GS has an OK trip planning online. For RV parks you get 10% but is it worth it if you don't use it often?

We bought Passport America a couple years ago when we traveled cross country. We used our CC parks when we could but they are sparce in the northern half. It didn't take but a few nights to pay for the membership. Last year we were offered lifetime membership for I think $300 and no more dues. We will use it next month as we travel from Oregon to Mass.

I know people who have CCC,RPI,Escapees, GS,and numerous other park/camping memberships. Many of them pay more in dues than they ever save in camping/parking.

What it boils down to is: what do you want it for? Do you want it to save on camping/parking fees? Or are you looking for good RVing magazines? Looking for others to socialize with? How often are you going to use it? Will you be traveling around or mostly stay in one area in which case a private park membership may be right for you.

Sometimes you just have to try them out. If you don't like it don't renew.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote