Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
which inverter

Just purchased a 2011 Gulfstream 35ft class C Silver Bullet MH
Sterling 5500,Cummins 6.7 TD,6.0 Onan gen.

The primary purpose of this RV will be to go to our sons college soccer games. During these trips we will normally be spending 1 to 2 nights "boondocking" without hooking up to shore power.

Currently the coach has a convertor and 1 battery.
I wish to install an inverter and a couple of larger size AGM batteries.

With the inverter and new batteries we wish to:
Run our LED tv's/dvd a few hours a day,have a few lights on,use a couple of outlets for charging cell phones etc. as well as use the furnace (propane) to take the chill off if necessary.

I am ok with running the generator a couple of hours a day for A/C, microwaves,hairdryers,hot water heater etc as well as to recharge the batteries.

So..Based on my stated intended usage what size and brand of inverter will suit our needs?

In regards to batteries..
What would your recommendation be for total
battery power?
Please express in terms of: 20 hour rate ???AH

Thank you in advance for your responses

p.s. I am also going to be replacing the interior
lights with LED's for energy savings..

steemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a Xantrex 400 XL in our motorhome. It is a pure sine wave inverter, and works well with electronic equipment. Should have plenty of capacity for the use that you have described.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suggest good 6 volt batteries if you have room for multiplies. you should try to get in area of 400 total amp hours. You may want to consider some solar to add to your generator for power. Some places restrict use of generators. Furnace eats up power in batteries fast. four 6 volt Trojans would do the trick if you have room. Total AH would be about 430. changing to LED lights will make a big difference in power savings. Good luck. Better to spend a little now for plenty than try to add more later. I will guarantee you will want more power later. (Voice of experience). More costly to do it twice!!
Alleyman; 2004 Dolphin 5355; Banks Power Pack, Ottominder; 405 Watts Solar, 2010 Explorer XLT Toad. four month boondockers!
Alleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 2000 watt MSW inverter and four Interstate U-2200 batteries. Each battery is 232 amps hrs @ 20 amp rate. Doubling them to give 12 volts gives us 464 amps but since you should only draw them down 50% it's 232 amp hours at the 20 amp rating. Each battery weighs 67#'s so they're not light.
We can usually go overnight before needing to recharge. We run lights, TV's, the Direct TV dish, heater, water pump, refer and a 12 volt 100# freezer as well as a laptop. It's a very heavy useage and we don't go off the grid very far!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Thanks for the responses!

After measuring for batteries it looks like I will be going with 2 12V
GPL-4DL Lifeline AGM's with 210ah/each = 420ah total.
Which will provide a usuable 210 ah @ a 50% discharge.
Is this going to be enough power for the needs I listed in my initial post?

What brand of pure sine wave inverter is recommended?
Xantrex , Magnum or ??
I want it to able to switch back and forth to charge mode/shore power/gen power automatically.IOW trying to keep it simple to use..

Is 2000W overkill?
Diesel clacker is using 400w and he seems to essentially be using the same
items I wish to power.

steemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The people I know who have had to change inverters or have upgraded have all gone to the Magnum or the Xantrex. Take a look at the Magnum MS Series here: Products: PSW Inverters/Chargers (Pure Sine Wave Output) That's the unit I will put in my coach when I upgrade to a pure sine wave.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To answer your question: Type of inverter TRUE SINE WAVE, the reason is some radio and or audio gear may complain about MSW, this includes satellite recievers, home theater amplifiers and televisions. The cell phone chargers won't care much.

NOTE: Key word MAY.. Sometimes you get lucky with MSW but truthfully. Go True sine, that way you don't have to worry about it.

Size: Every item on your list has a plate or label on it that shows the wattage.. Add 'em up and then go 1.5 times the result. 300-500 watts should meet the needs you cited, If you might like to run the microwave a bit add at least a 1000 watts more. (1500-2000 minimium).

Finally AGM batteries.. I keep seeing folks forking over big bucks for AGM, or what's even worse OPTIMA.

There are basically 3 types and 2.1 classes of batteries,

1:Classis DEEP CYCLE (What you want)

2:Starting (Good for starting engines but not best for house use, do not like to be run down very far)

2.1: Marine/Deepcycle, like Starting these do not really like being run down too much.

Rule of thumb, Deep cycle "Too much" is below 1/2 full, Starting types, 3/4 full.

Now the 3 main types.

Flooded wet cell (Best bang for your buck)

Maintenance free: (A good choice if access for maintenance is a problem, MAY be your only choice in many formats (Sizes))

AGM (including optima) A special case of maintenance free that can be mounted at odd angles, On end, side, at an angle, upside down.. WORST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK is optima, followed by other AGM.

Per battery company web sites the AGM types do not last (In terms of years) as long as the others (And Maintenance free not as long as properly cared for flooded wet cells)

So the more you pay for the battery.. The more OFTEN you pay for the battery.

If it's easy to access them for cleanign and distilled watering .. Go flooded wet cell.

NOTE that 2 GC-2 Golf car batteries fit in about the same foot print as 2 G-24's (Though they are taller) and hold about as much power as THREE G-24's.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote