Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Which is safer? Tow Bar or Trailer

I've seen a lot of questions about towing using a Tow-Bar and some prefer to use a trailer.

Which is safer?

I've seen a few mishaps lately with people using Tow-Bars where the vehicle came loose or something else. I think one person turned too sharply or attempted to backup.. Oppss.

One person told me just happened to notice a broken weld before something happened.

I went with a Blue Ox Aventa 10k tow bar with some room to spare. Manufactures strongly suggest and in some cases a requirement to match the tow bar with the base plate.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sure that you will get opinions on both. I personally think that from a safety standpoint that it would be a tossup. I would worry more about someone like me that is subject to forget something or just not know the proper way to use it.

If not connected correctly, not used correctly or not the right size, any number of problems could occur with either.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tow bar rigs outnumber trailers: 100:1

So I figured there must be a reason and it's not initial cost.

A car hauler trailer 16 footer with all straps, cables, brake control, etc can easily cost the same or more than a high end tow bar. An enclosed auto trailer is nice, but they too are not cheap and get real heavy (MPG loss), Storage, moving it around, etc

Open Trailers: 16 foot car hauler, tandem axle, one axle brake: $2,000.00 - $2,500.00 starter price.
Closed Trailers: 16 foot car hauler, tandem axle, $5,000 - $6,000 Starter price.
Brake Control: $100.00

Tow Bar: Blue Ox or Falcon: New $700.00 - $1,000.00, Plus base plate ($400 plus install) = $1,500.00
Wiring kit $300.00 -$400.00 plus install = ~$500.00
Total (No braking): $2,000.00
Braking: Add another $1,000.00 to $2,000.00
Tow Bar: Everything: $4,200.00
Old 03-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #4

I just purchased my base plate, Alladin towbar, Patriot brakes, cables, locks and cover for $2,100 so the cost isn't that bad. Remember that you have to add the trailer's weight if using one. Plus having to register it and store it was enough to forget that idea.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Your towbar cost estimate is somewhat high - should not exceed $2600 paying list price for everything and regular shop rates for installation. With some shopping around you should be able to get to the $2100 like Abnmarine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did the $2,100 (base plate, Alladin towbar, Patriot brakes, cables, locks and cover ) include installation for everything?

I had the US Gear Unified brake system with install priced out about $1,300

Are we getting ripped?

RV Labor rates are running $95.00/hr to $109.00/hr

The Brake system kit is around $1k.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Did the $2,100 (base plate, Alladin towbar, Patriot brakes, cables, locks and cover ) include installation for everything?

I had the US Gear Unified brake system with install priced out about $1,300

Are we getting ripped?

RV Labor rates are running $95.00/hr to $109.00/hr

The Brake system kit is around $1k.
The price didn't include installation. I'll be installing it myself. Someone else should be able to post a fair price for having it installed.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #8

Installation is getting high. But I have an Aventa LX from Blue Ox. One thing I like about them is whenever you are at a rally you can get it completely serviced for only $25 and it's at least a 30 minute job... very detailed! I had that done last summer and watched as it was done. You don't see other companies doing this kind of service!
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't want to derail this topic too much, but the price of tow bars seems a tad high. Are they custom in that they connect in some fashion to the steering assembly on the toad vs simply having two base-plate assembles bolted to the vehicle's chassis and a A frame connection with the tow coupler branching off from them?

I ask, because, everyone I've looked at seems to built out of about $50-100 worth of mild-steel that could be had at any iron yard.

I'm not trying to downplay the importance of good towing equipment here, but the price just seems really disproportionate to the amount of welding/metal involved, and for the record, I've had quite a number of custom towing related items made for me that are 2x beefier than their over the counter counter-parts but even with the hourly rate of a skilled, certified fabricator and the materials added in, I'm only coming to a 1/3-1/4 of what some of these parts are selling for.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I've seen a lot of questions about towing using a Tow-Bar and some prefer to use a trailer.

Which is safer?

I've seen a few mishaps lately with people using Tow-Bars where the vehicle came loose or something else. I think one person turned too sharply or attempted to backup.. Oppss.

One person told me just happened to notice a broken weld before something happened.

I went with a Blue Ox Aventa 10k tow bar with some room to spare. Manufactures strongly suggest and in some cases a requirement to match the tow bar with the base plate.
Hey Batman,

Safety issues seem to be inconsequential between the two methods. Properly installed and properly used should make little difference in safety as long as you have good equipment. It really gets down to what inflates your windsock. The trailer will require additional PM, axles, tires bearings etc., on top of your 4 wheeler. The towbar system requires inspection and cleaning, that is about it. On the road you might have some trailer sway in winds and truck ruts with a large trailer. On the other hand you can back the trailer, cannot back the toad, and will have a garage. I'd think from a safety standpoint you could go either way with relative assurance.
Moto
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #11

When we got our first motor home, we got a trailer to tow car, and for that winter in Fla, I could not get home quick enough to GET RID OF THE TRAILER, and get a car that we could tow on wheels. Hooking up with a car on trailer takes a few minutes, with our tow bar, it is done very quickly, and I feel a lot better with it.
Al, Michigan. 2003 Mountain Aire.
Al, Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
I don't want to derail this topic too much, but the price of tow bars seems a tad high.
They sure are.
Products (and services) sold to or for the RV market will be high priced.
In all instances grossly higher.
In some exorbitantly higher.
And in a few... criminally higher.

(To be fair... similar happens in other industries with product crossover)

Quote:
Are they custom in that they connect in some fashion to the steering assembly on the toad.
nope. just bolt onto the frame.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think a lot depends on several things

I have seen trailers come loose

I have seen tow bars come loose

The biggest difference I see is not the towing gear breaking or coming loose..

It is the one part both of 'em have... The "Loose nut" behind the wheel.

With Trailers, everybody (Far as I know) agrees you need trailer brakes.

But there are an amazing number of people who mistakenly think you do not need a braking system if towing 4 down.

You do... US GEAR Unified Brake Decelerator is the one I suggest.. Or the M&G air/hydraulid if it will fit.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have a trailer.....which is great because we just switched out TOWee's,

this friday coming home i decided to watch and I saw a record number of class A's pulling car hauler trailers, with everything from nice jags to little old cheby pickups.

to each is own...
but our trailer plus tie downs and e-track was under 3500.00

18 ft, 8k gvw brakes on both axles
my only complaint is my ramps are heavy, but i did find a set of alum (16lbs ea.) i just need to order em.
biggest draw back so far is load up time, it does take us about 1/2 hr to load and tie down and recheck.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote