Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
Winnebago Owners Club
Hey FireUp.. do you have any details on that 9" adapt / pads?? sounds like it would accomplish the job faster than the 6" pad.

Mike & Jo
2005 Itasca Horizon 40KD ISL 400 Freightliner
2006 Jeep Rubicon Toad+BlueOx - LostInOurTravels.com
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
A random orbital buffer of the type sold to non-professionals WONT damage paint........I've used them to both apply and remove the wax (with different terry cloth covers over the pad)
Have used them myself.. Usually end up with right arm and rag though. I'm still learning how to make them work better.

(Both types).

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
"dennis45"....My Dutch Star has the optional fiberglass roof.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #32
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
thanks for all the replys. looks like the pc 7424 is the way to go, now which pads to use and cleaner & wax ? we have a new 2015 fleetwood excursion and want to keep it nice.i see theres black, yellow, ext,ext pads. all i'm after is to put a good cleaner-wax on and take off. sence its been raining about every day here starting to get some black streaks.pole barn is starting to get built for mh. yes here to used to wax with kit wax by hand but shoulder ant like it use to b and don'nt get good job.
safe travels and thanks agian bob,linda & missy
Here are a few websites to look at, you should find everything you could ever want at them, in no particular order:
Chemical Guys: Car Wash, Wax, Polishes, Microfiber Towels and Best Auto Detail Supplies - Chemical Guys Professional Car Care Products - Wholesale and Retail
Autopia Car Care: Autopia Car Care Products - Car Detailing Supplies, Car Wax, Car Polishers, Auto Detailing
AutoGeek: We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store
Look for videos and descriptions of the products you'd like to get.
Charlie, Jackie
w/Lucy the Dog & Jack the Cat
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire 4529
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #33
Originally Posted by CigarBoy View Post
Hey FireUp.. do you have any details on that 9" adapt / pads?? sounds like it would accomplish the job faster than the 6" pad.
Hey Mike,
Sorry for the late reply. I'm going to try and apply some pics of the adapter pad and, the bonnets I use. If it goes through, you'll see the 9" wool bonnets with what appears to be a missing, center section. That's because it IS missing. Those bonnets (I've got two) both "had" a raised section in the center. That did not allow for proper fit onto the adapter pad which, by the way, is all Velcro.

So, I just used some cutters and cut out the raised sections. Now, the bonnets fit like they were made for the adapter. And yes, it does make the job go faster with larger bonnets. Hope this helps some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020540.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	63472   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020541.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	63473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020542.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	63474   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020543.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	63475  

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #34
Porter Cable 7424 XP Dual Action Orbital Polisher.....safe for the average user.
2016 Thor Tuscany 34ST XTE, Freightliner XCR, ISB 360hp/800tq. Allison 3000, Koni FSD shocks, Roadmaster 1.75" front sway bar, Safe-T-Plus, DYI air bag flow control valves.
2015 Jeep Willy's Wheeler Wrangler Unlimited Toad, Ready-Brute-Elite tow system.
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #35
Welll...what *I* use is...
If you have good gelcoat and it's shiny, anything you do will take away from that.
I wash it about twice a year with a cheap carwash soap or Awesome from the Dollar store.
I have a an extended handled window washer with a terry pad on one side. I wet an area, wash it down with the solution I'm using, then rinse it well and move on.
I know it's working, because pretty much every place we go people comment on how great our coach looks, and are always amazed that it's a 2005.

So I'm not changing a thing...but good luck to all of you who choose to. Once you start, you can never stop...

Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #36
Rubber roof washing

Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Hi Don, I assume your new coach has a Britec Rubber Roof. Everything I read about this material says not to use anything but a Mild Soap like Murphy's Oil Soap and do not treat with sealers etc.
Just curious, if you have a rubber roof why do you wax it?
I wash mine twice per year and do not use any treatment. I used to use 303 but according to my Newmar Manual, it is unnecessary.
Dennis, you are correct in stating "nothing should be used on a rubber roof except a mild detergent" Murphys, dawn dishwashing soap etc. Adding a "treatment" is detrimental to the roof and a waste of time and money. Wash and rinse and thats it,
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #37
I too have the Porter Cable dual action polisher/sander. It's the biggest seller on the retail market. You have to make sure you've got the hook and loop pad to go along with the proper color of pad to apply wax. It's sold separately.

Once you get the swing of it, you can polish any RV or motor home promptly.

And all the high line detailers suppliers, like Meguiars, have products specially formulated for dual action polishers.

I use one of the 9" orbital polishers to remove the wax after it dries to a haze.

I use my Porter Cable D/A polisher with a wool bonnet to polish the toons on my Bennington Tritoon. I can polish the outside of two toons, 3 nosecones and tailpieces in just over 1 hour. I don't intend to have a mirror finish, but they're not far off it.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote