Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use to buy a 20' roll of grass rug at my local Home Depot, and nail it down outside my RV when camping. It was a good dirt barrier and it did a good job of keeping dirt out of the RV as well as giving a cushioned area to walk on outside. The drawbacks: it was bulky, always picked up dirt when rolling it up for storage, and it would always become frayed along the edges.

Several months ago, I decided to try something different and bought a Camco Leisure Mat from CW. It seemed to get very good reviews. After many trips, I am not so sure it is any better. It is definitely easier to store and less bulky, but it's mesh design allows dirt to rise up to the surface. It is easier to clean than the fake grass, but I've found that it needs cleaning (soap and water) after each and every trip, versus only periodic cleaning of the fake grass. Again, this is because light dirt comes up through the mesh fabric.

Sooo, in my quest for something better, what do you use for a patio mat?

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use to buy a 20' roll of grass rug at my local Home Depot, and nail it down outside my RV when camping. It was a good dirt barrier and it did a good job of keeping dirt out of the RV as well as giving a cushioned area to walk on outside. The drawbacks: it was bulky, always picked up dirt when rolling it up for storage, and it would always become frayed along the edges.

Several months ago, I decided to try something different and bought a Camco Leisure Mat from CW. It seemed to get very good reviews. After many trips, I am not so sure it is any better. It is definitely easier to store and less bulky, but it's mesh design allows dirt to rise up to the surface. It is easier to clean than the fake grass, but I've found that it needs cleaning (soap and water) after each and every trip, versus only periodic cleaning of the fake grass. Again, this is because light dirt comes up through the mesh fabric.

Sooo, in my quest for something better, what do you use for a patio mat?

Old 08-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #3

Since about every campground I've ever been in (including the one I'm in now) prohibit there use. I don't use any. I carried one around for about the first three years I was a full timer, and never found a park that allowed one. Finally gave it away.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Texas Bubba:
Since about every campground I've ever been in (including the one I'm in now) prohibit there use. I don't use any... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We tossed our "imitation grass mat" after carrying it around for 8 years and only being able to use it on those few occasions we stayed in state parks without any grass or other landscaping on the camping sites. In commercial RV parks we found the same situations that Texas Bubba found. We carry a 3x4 mat to put at the bottom of our steps on which we wipe our feet before entering the trailer.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Texas Bubba:
Since about every campground I've ever been in (including the one I'm in now) prohibit there use. I don't use any. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guess I must be staying in the low rent parks then.

In my 20+ years of RV-ing, I can only think of two parks that prohibited the use of patio mats. Both of those had nice grassy areas that eliminated the use of them anyway, so I didn't mind. Every California State Park, Thousand Trails and Coast to Coast park that we've visited has allowed them.

Those of you that do use patio mats, what do you prefer?

Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #6

I'm looking into one of the 8x20 Presto-Fit's sold at CW. Any feedback on these?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We bought ours from RV Mats. They have been very durable, easy to keep clean, and the best part, they fold very flat and take up little room. We took the measurements of the under awning area and divided it in two and had 2 mats made. We only put out both for long stays. RV Mats will make custom sizes.

However, like the others above, most places we have been do not allow the use of the mats. We keep the mats since they take up little room.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:14 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Str8Shooter:
We bought ours from RV Mats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Terry. Their web site says that they have many colors to choose from, but doesn't show much. Do you have any photos of yours?

Craig

Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were looking for smaller size mats and found them and larger sizes at:RV Awning Mats
Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I do beleive their colors change due to the availability of the materials. I think you will have to call them so they can send you the latest colors. The photo's on their website are old.

Now that I think about it, I do not have any photo's of the mats. I'll have to rectify that.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #11

Good afternoon from Vancouver Island, we have been using the same 9 x 12 mat as Bob&Pat found at http://www.rvawningmats.com/. and have used this mat for 5 years or so now (summer and winter). It still looks and functions as brand new. They are very light and do not hold the dirt as the green grass ones do. They can also be washed off with a hose, I do this when I dump. We have a person here in the Comox Valley that sells the 9 x 12 for $85.00 Cdn. Hope that helps

Son Mat away Racing
Ski Me Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #12

I have the grass from Home Depot.I fused the edge with an electric soldering iron.Five years later it still looks good and keeps the dirt out.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bldrbob:
I fused the edge with an electric soldering iron. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Interesting, Bob. Did you use a standard soldering iron? How did you keep it from sticking to the hot metal?

Craig

Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #14

I used a regular pistol type iron.The carpeting melts so it doesn't stick to the gun.Lots of patience helps.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote