Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #15

It is against the PA rules to give PA members less desirable spaces. I might be happening, but isn't supposed to. If it were not for the restrictions, there would be no discount clubs. Some restrictions are to one night, but many are not. Those that do restrict to one night frequently will extend if they are not busy. It only takes several usages to pay for the whole year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
In florida the winter months are blocked out by CG for PA discounts. There are no such thing as free lunches but I like to see what gives me the best bang for my buck. Sometimes what you think your getting is not what you get. With the different ways some companies interpret policies and the fine print, I like to hear other peoples experiences with the polices as the company enforces them

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #17

Quote:
In florida the winter months are blocked out by CG for PA discounts.
As a native of Florida, who has used PA here at least 100 times, I can say that some do and some don't. There are no state rules and each campground makes it's own restrictions and publishes them. The basic premise is that PA is designed to fill camp sites that would otherwise be empty. If you call a campground in February when they publish they are blocked for a certain set of days and ask if you can use PA, if they are not full or have no expectation of being full, they will in all likely hood say they will. We have done this many times. It is all about doing what is best for the campground and for the camper. PA has saved us thousands of dollars in Florida and a good bit of it was during the winter.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Can only go by my limited experience - I call over ten different CG in central fla and got the same response. - we do not honor PA discounts during our winter season. We did get a site but no discount. For what I paid for both PA & GS it is well worth the Price Just have to plan when is a good time to use them. Which we used in May and got a good discount.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

PA has about 400 campgrounds in Florida. If you ask about a specific date and they have no expectation of being full, they will give then discount. This also works the best when asking about today or tomorrow rather than about weeks from today. If an owner looks over his reservations sheet and sees a lot of empty sites (no income at all), they will be much more likely to honor their PA rate during season. Rather have half than nothing. It helps cover their fixed costs.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
... you can go wherever and whenever you want as long as the campgrounds are in the network, there are many full timers that live within the system for only the yearly dues fee...
How can they live within the system? From what I can find on the internet, they only have 80 resorts in the US, it is a max of 14 days in a camp, then 7 days out ... and if you spend 4 days or more at a camp then you hit the 7 day lockout. After 30 days of use, it is an additional $3/day charge. About the only way I can see living within the system is moving from camp to camp every 3 days. Am I missing something?

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseer33 View Post
Can only go by my limited experience - I call over ten different CG in central fla and got the same response. - we do not honor PA discounts during our winter season. We did get a site but no discount. For what I paid for both PA & GS it is well worth the Price Just have to plan when is a good time to use them. Which we used in May and got a good discount.
Don't flame me ... I didn't call anyone, but I looked on the resort list on the Passport website and there were several I looked at in Central Florida that didn't state any restrictions in their write up for winter, just that you needed to call ahead, or "Advance reservations required during winter season", so I think it varies.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #22

The poster must have been talking about a club like 1000 Trails or another one with the 14 day limit rather than Passport America. PA campgrounds have no idea or do they care where you were the night before. The restrictions are individually based by each campground. Many full timers do use PA a lot (why not). Many full timers also use 1000 Trails, Coast to Coast and other membership clubs that have the longer stay limits and are part of a "system" with restrictions. The two concepts are completely different and shouldn't be confused. Full Timers do in fact spend the year in them by belonging to multiple membership clubs. The membership of these clubs are in the thousands of dollars where Passport America is $35/year. Huge difference.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes I am really thinking more along the line of the more expensive ones used by full timers. So far I can say as with everything it is a matter of usage. If that particular club's services fit your needs. I am not full time now. I still work and go on short trips for weekend stats. Hope to be able to travel more next year when job ends. Thanks to all for your input. Really liking the sounds of coast to coast !
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
The poster must have been talking about a club like 1000 Trails or another one with the 14 day limit rather than Passport America. PA campgrounds have no idea or do they care where you were the night before. The restrictions are individually based by each campground. Many full timers do use PA a lot (why not). Many full timers also use 1000 Trails, Coast to Coast and other membership clubs that have the longer stay limits and are part of a "system" with restrictions. The two concepts are completely different and shouldn't be confused. Full Timers do in fact spend the year in them by belonging to multiple membership clubs. The membership of these clubs are in the thousands of dollars where Passport America is $35/year. Huge difference.
Sorry I wasn't clear. My post #20 was in response to post #8 regarding living full time in Thousand Trails. My post #21 was in response to #18 regarding no Passport America allowed during winter.

OK - I can see if you have multiple memberships in TT that you could live within the system. Not sure if that savings would offset the cost.

Whereas Passport America sounds like a must do for everyone. One or two nights pays for it.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #25
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ref comment#8
If you do not shop yes you can pay in the thousands of dollars for a TT membership. New these memberships can go over 6k but I was referring to used memberships that have been owned by campers for 10 or more years sometimes 20 years, the owner or family members simply just want to unload them because they no longer do the rv thing or because of age they can no longer use them. These memberships can be found very cheap and seems like a no brainer if you are going full time.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
You are correct if you use the PA discount for a long weekend then yes. It pays for itself My only remark was that the ones we tried in March said discounts are not a available during their peak season. I am restricted to an area I can go in for now as I still work and must pre plan a trip. I hope to be traveling 6 months or more starting in June of next yr. We like the home base idea Spend the winter here on Florida close to family. So trying to plan ahead. I am a planner !!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseer33 View Post
You are correct if you use the PA discount for a long weekend then yes. It pays for itself My only remark was that the ones we tried in March said discounts are not a available during their peak season. I am restricted to an area I can go in for now as I still work and must pre plan a trip. I hope to be traveling 6 months or more starting in June of next yr. We like the home base idea Spend the winter here on Florida close to family. So trying to plan ahead. I am a planner !!
I called to reserve a place and they told me I could only use the PA for one night. Not much of a discount.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I did not get that only the dates were blocked out. I went to one in Orlando for mother's day weekend. 3 nights 48 dollars total. But not till after may 1st could I use the PA discount there. On more weekend like that and it pays for the PA fee

Tags
camping