Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
We're headed from Houston area going to Arizona for a few days. Last night when I shut down the odometer read 203,120 miles on my 1998 Monaco Executive. We're going to Alaska for the 13th time again this summer so by the end of the year it should be around 225,000 miles. The only repairs I've done so far to the M-11 is replace the exhaust manifold gaskets three years ago, and the turbo five years ago. Other than that I give it a front to back yearly maintenance and keep going.
The M11 has turned out to be a great product. The design started out as the old L10 which was mostly a vocational designed engine used in short haul and specific applications. Todays M11 is another animal as you refer to with low repair costs. I have a 450 HP M11 in my Monaco Signature and love it...except I would like the 525 HP Cummins motor next time, even tho its not necessary . I have heard the newer higher HP engines are producing better fuel millage than our old M11s

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #16

Direct fuel injection, variable timing camshafts, variable tune air intakes, numerical control machining, etc. all combine to improve today's engines.

The improvement - and curse - of today's designs is FEA; Finite Element Analysis. This computer technique allows strength (and thereby performance) to be analyzed in very small increments. The end result is that anything can be designed to accurately conform to the specifications so, it's not the designers who are responsible for performance, it's the people who write the specifications. If someone is told to design an engine to last 500,000 miles, or 50,000 miles, it's theoretically possible.

FEA can also identify components with marginal strength, so this is a benefit of the process. Some of the older auto engines that would last for a very long time are the result of designers not knowing exactly how strong a component should be, so they added a little material just to be sure. In today's competitive environment, that doesn't happen. The only "'safety margin" is what is included in the product specifications. A worst case scenario would be if it's acceptable for bodywork to rust out at 100,000 miles, why should the powertrain last longer?.

Our only hope is that the product specifications are written with a good degree of robustness....

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
While I agree power trains "today" do require less maintenance , I do question some of your statements, in general.
" Engine designs have improved" ? not sure what you mean by that, do you mean quality control ? casting procedures ? , fewer reject units ?.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
My '03 Ram has 194k on it, it is going strong. Had to replace the manifolds because one cracked, but at 194k I'm not complaining. Still runs great, as the last owner cared for it very well.

The cd changer didn't work when we got it, had one or two cigarette burns in the headliner, and a few small dents on the body, but otherwise is in excellent condition.

You take care of your vehicle, it will take care of you, no matter what vehicle it is...Unless it is a Ford car...Money pit they are.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have had most of our Subaru's (12 since 1977) reach or pass 200,000 and a couple make it to 300,000.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 AM   #19

Our 2006 GMC 1500 has 287,000 miles now, looking for about 350,000 miles before letting it go.
Other than tires, brakes, one Battery and routine maintenance it has been great.
Change the Fan Belt, Rear Axle oil and Flush Transmission every 100,000 miles.
No transmission repairs, no engine repairs (Not even a water pump replacement)
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #20

Carolina Campers
I have had three Honda's that have gone over 200,000. Only regular maintenance, and water pump, etc. Only traded in because wanted something newer and interior started looking really worn.

I had an old Reliant that we could not manage to kill off.... After driving it myself, it also suffered the ritual of becoming the "starter vehicle" for all three of my kids when they were in high school. Boy did they try to kill it, but unfortunately for them, it just kept on going... After the last of my kids used it, it was donated...
Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just took a hyundai in trade with 325k. Runs and looks like it has 60k!! They have a 100k warranty on power train too.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I put 290,000 on a 77 tbird, 275,000 on a 90 cougar, and my 04 Grand Cherokee has 200,000. Perform the maintenance and they will keep running till the body falls off.
Fatfendr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2 Fords (including the #1) a couple Honda's a Toyota and a whole bunch of I knew there was a reason I like GM vehicles.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #24
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
While I agree power trains "today" do require less maintenance , I do question some of your statements, in general.
" Engine designs have improved" ? not sure what you mean by that, do you mean quality control ? casting procedures ? , fewer reject units ?

No more"lead" ? Lead is a cushion, that helps from increased friction and metal distortion under heat. ( Newer engines have been designed to run lead free for quite a while, but thats for other reasons)

" Engine spin " actually engines run at Higher RPMs in order to get the same HP from smaller cu in. displacement.

" engine oils" Yes big improvements , so big that many people tend to have their vehicles serviced less. I know of many leased vehicles where the oil is never changed before the lease is up and its "traded" back in for the next model.

" engines run cooler " ? Quite the opposite. More output can be obtained with a hotter engine, the problem has always been the cooling system. By raising the PSI pressure the boiling point of the coolant increases. Today engines run sometimes over 210 degrees , in older vehicles the norm was under 180 degrees due to the lower pressure system.The main reason for the higher temps has more to do with emissions than anything else.

" Metallurgy " Yes , lighter wt. metals like aluminum have made great strides the last 30 years. The problems with lighter metals was a problem in older engines due to the increased wear factor, and the poor ability for heat transfer/ corrosion when combined with other metals, like cast iron.

I don't want to dispute specific cases, as there are many factors that come to play depending on MFG companies and their reasons for what they do. Its mostly a cost factor. Most newer engines do not use gaskets, which could be a good thing. However the use of O rings has increased along with the failures of these products used under high compression / heat conditions.

Almost everything I have said can be disputed when it comes to overall reliability. I was just pointing out the specifics as they relate to your post.
I forgot all newer cars use computers to control engine fueling as well as transmission shifting...no more carburetors.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post
My '03 Ram has 194k on it, it is going strong. Had to replace the manifolds because one cracked, but at 194k I'm not complaining. Still runs great, as the last owner cared for it very well.

The cd changer didn't work when we got it, had one or two cigarette burns in the headliner, and a few small dents on the body, but otherwise is in excellent condition.

You take care of your vehicle, it will take care of you, no matter what vehicle it is...Unless it is a Ford car...Money pit they are.
I really liked my 07 Dodge mega cab diesel , a great road machine for pulling a trailer, or not. It did have the common front end weakness that all Dodge truck products seem to develop after 50,000 miles, depending on your application . Served me well and after 7 years still sold on Ebay for 30,000 ! I got my moneys worth for sure. Now I drive a Monaco Siginature 450 HP 40' coach bought with the cash from the sale of the Dodge.. (yes I did have to kick in a few thousand, but look what I got !) a paid for 300,000 when new vehicle , all thanks to the Dodge Truck !
Old 02-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #26

Always an interesting read. I don't own a car (Not counting the MH) with under 200K on it. Maintenance goes a long way with any vehicle.

1971 Mercedes 220 Diesel 659K+
1992 Range Rover 240K+

However my currently MH build only has 50K LOL
Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
They use so much salt here in my state that the hwy's become white by the second month of winter. Most cases I believe are that the car will rust away while mechanically they run perfect.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I forgot all newer cars use computers to control engine fueling as well as transmission shifting...no more carburetors.
That's Something I also forgot to address. Most of these advancements grew out of federal compliance Regs........which has in the past been a negative / positive thing. Early FI cars actually ran worse than carbs. The one negative with computer run vehicles is they ether run well or are hard to diagnose for the average old time shade tree mechanic., of which they themselves are fewer and fewer, including myself.