Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question While parked at home...

I have 2 questions here (off of my list of many!!).

1) While our MH is parked at home, between our monthly summer trips, we have shoreline power hooked up. We leave the refrigerator on all the time. Other than the obvious cost for electricity, is there any reason(s) we shouldn't do this? Should we maybe move everything out of it & shut it down for any other reason(s)?

2) After draining the water heater for winter storage, is it okay to leave the drain plug/anode rod out of it until spring or should I put the new one in right after draining?

Thank you in advance for any & all help on these 2 queries.

Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

As for leaving the coach plugged in 24/7 that is fine and yes other than the electricity it is fine to leave refrigerator plugged in however make sure you are level. If it is not level than leave the refrigerator off.

As for the hot water heater you should not leave the plug out after you drain it as insects may go in there. I drain my hot water heater everytime I get home from a trip and then close it up and I also drain the fresh water tank too.

Winteerizing is another discussion.

Hope this answers your question

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #3

I don't have a MH but I do have a TT. We leave the REF on 24/7. We usually leave the left over condiments and other non perisable items in the fridge along with ice in the freezer. If we have to do small chores in the TT then we turn on the a/c and can be confortable.

When I drain the water heater, I always replace the plug right away so I won't forget that it's out and possibly lose it.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should never leave any valve open for reason stated above. Nothing wrong with leaving it plugged in 24/7 unless you have an electrical storm and take a surge. If you have a surge protector then OK if not then there is always a chance during a storm you could get a surge. I empty mine and totally shut it down and set the store switches except for one day a week when I turn on the battery switches and plug it in to charge the batteries. Once a month I take the MH out for a short drive 20 mile round trip with genny running and both a/c's running and both refridge's running. Afterwards, I shut it all down and turn everything off and set the "STORE/DISCONNECT" switches. My MH is parkes next to the house under a big Oak tree so it is not exposed to the sun. Just my method of doing things. Yours is fine too.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Our coach is plugged in all of the time...periodically, I will turn off the breaker, slide out the batteries and check the fluid levels...that is just for my piece of mind...we leave the refrigerator on and I leave water in the hot water heater along with water in the tank. We live in an earthquake area and the coach is always ready to go...minimum of 3/4 tank of fuel and always food and clothing in it.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote