Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #15

Since three sets of blinds have to be replaced, I'm leaning in that direction, also. The blinds look as if the ends were chewed off about six inches...just three or four slats, but enough that they will have to be replaced. Bugman said he didn't think it was wood boring insects, as the residue looked like plastic, not wood. Thanks for all the help!

mickeyleighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
I found blue dust piles that looked just like that in mine. It was from carpenter ants as they tunneled thru the foam in the walls. Ants will dump at one spot. Their not eating wood like termites they eat fungus that lives on WET wood and the dump can be a long way from food source. Hard to find but look for small hole/crack/seam above the piles
They will do a lot of damage to the foam core of the wall

Have Flyrod Will Travel
87 Coachman Leprechaun
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you want to check the composition of the residue, scrape it up in a metal pie pan and take it out side. Touch the pile with the flame of a candle or long BBQ lighter.

If it melts, its plastic. If it burns and smells like paper or wood, its a wood boring insect residue. If it melts/burns and smells chemical, it may be foam residue.
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
ischua, many old timers believe that carpenter ants are in fact doing 'us' a favor because as you correctly state the ants excavate the soft or fungus damaged wood rather than sound material.
Anyone who has taken down house porches probably has seen numerous times the shallow depressions and trails these insects left. The wonderful part, once the fungus is gone so are the ants, the colony simply moves on or perhaps returns when/if water or moisture allows the fungus to become established again.

Pressure treated wood has chemicals forced into it which stop fungal growth/and sound wood destroying insects and noble wood species as redwood, cedar, cypress (heartwood not sapwood) have tanins which do the same as the chemicals in pressure treated wood.

So next time you may wish to thank that ant-they are amazing really.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
White flaky residue

I am so grateful for this forum and all the wonderful RVers who took the time to help me with my fifth wheel. Thank you so much.
Thanks to all of you, I have not had to fumigate. I got a second opinion and second pest control said it didn't look like any insect he'd ever seen. I am going to try the flame to the residue suggestion and will let you know.
Thanks so much!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
White Flaky Powder

Please let me know if you find out what it is. I have the same substance all over the inside front of my 2005 Monaco Diplomat Motorhome It appears daily. Had a RV man look at it, he never saw anything like it. We can not figure out where it is coming from or what it is.
roncapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Vintage RV Owners Club
My first thought was carpenter ants too.
Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
for roaches: boric acid powder mixed with powdered sugar. put it in a squeeze bottle and squirt a line of it around the base of all the walls, including the hidden areas behind the kitchen counter.
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #23
Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I vote for wood boring insect like carpenter bees. Look for any perfectly round holes overhead, Must be something trying to get out. put a little honey on a matchbook or other thin cardboard and see what get's stuck there.
Radio Engineer
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A
Toad 2010 Jeep Liberty / Blue Ox Aladdin
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #24
Great RV repairman took one look and said "Your blinds should have been pulled." No insects, just plastic v/s metal. Nary a sign since blinds replaced. Okay, leaving it in storage in Florida out in the weather (sun) caused the corrosion. , Got some good tips for battling insects! Thanks, Folks!

dry, dust, flaky residue, pile, storage