Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Question White, flaky residue pile on Kitchen counter

Thanks to all the helpful suggestions for getting my RV from Florida to Washington state. My 28 ft Golden Falcon 5th wheel arrived last night at ten thirty! I am so happy to finally have my home again.
This morning when I went out to check on things I noticed a 5 inch pile of whitish flaky residue. It is right under the kitchen window on the countertop. The RV was stored, uncovered, since last June in Kissimmee, Florida. Does anyone know what it could be?
Also any suggestions on how to get rid of the cockroach that hitched a ride? (Of course I got rid of the one that I found in the empty fridge, but where there's one of those little beasties, there's usually more.)
I haven't moved back in yet, but would like to sleep in my own bed again tonight, so any suggestions you all might have for my little "home on wheels" will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
(6 years full-timer in a travel trailer. This is my first fifth wheel.)
Mickeyleighe
mickeyleighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

Clould the white stuff be roach powder/bait?
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

Without a picture of the residue..., it could be some food item that dried and left the residue. Potatoes, rice, etc.

There are many ways to get rid of the pests..a no-odor spray around the baseboards and maybe behind many drawers. I had at least one in my floor furnace vents, so some spray in each outlet gave me some peace of mind. There are also different types of controls that can be set in out of the way places, like under the bottom drawer that will help control additional bugs. Some people swear by boric acid placed in some sort of cap, also in out of the way places. I think the acid has to be mixed with something to lure the bugs to it, like sugar maybe.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #4

One of the best pest killers, and non-toxic to warm-blooded animals is food-grade Diatomaceous EarthBuy Diatomaceous Earth to kill fleas, ticks, bed bugs and parasites naturally
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #5

Red face white flaky residue

Okay, a photo is a great idea. I.ll see if I can post a photo. It's not any kind of pesticide. It appears to be coming from just above the window frame. It is pyramid type pile and looks as if the tiny flakes have been accumulating for some time. A neighbor came over and looked at it and said he has never seen anything like it. His RV is the same year as mine, 2000, so I hoped he would know what it is...thanks for the help with the roach problem. I have two dogs, so don't want anything dangerous...think I'll try the diatomacious earth.
Thanks for all the help...this is such a great site...I'm glad I found it! My 14 year old grandson has been trying to research that strange mound of stuff, but I told him we would have better luck here. I'll get that photo as soon as I find the camera. Did I mention I only had my fifth wheel a few days before moving to Washington? I have a lot to learn!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Smile photos of white residue

Here are a couple photos...sorry they are so dark, but no power yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0017.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	8811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0018.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	8812  

Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Termite droppings?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Beats me. I've lived in Florida for 38 years and never saw anything like it. Not termites, or at least not any variety of termite I've come across.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Termites. Call a Pest Control Co for confirmation and treatment.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #10

To get rid of most any unwanted "bug" type pest try " RAID Fumigator ". Set off one of those before moving back in and you should be free of the bug type inhabitants.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #11

Unless someone did work mounting/repairing something I would have to go with a wood boring insect also; but as the rv is probably made of mostly osb/mdf?
The area would seem to be in the right spot for a leak, which would cause some dampness which would explain insects..........
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
Betting that it is powder post beetles. Check the powder deposits on the shielded cable in the photo. Powderpost beetles POWDER POST BEETLE CONTROL wood worm destroying insects

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #13

I just re-read your post with pictures and a light went on (really a shot in the dark). Aluminum, which is the window frame and structure frame(if you have that), will corrode with this white powder when it is being eaten away by electrolysis. Not saying that is your problem, but a candidate.This can happen when aluminum and steel are in direct, long-term contact.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
To get rid of most any unwanted "bug" type pest try " RAID Fumigator ". Set off one of those before moving back in and you should be free of the bug type inhabitants.
Be very careful with these that all the appliances are turned off. A spark from a DSI board could ignite this flammable material rather easily. Remember, the square (or even cubic) footage is much smaller than a stick house, that these bombs were designed for. In an RV they literally are bombs. They will also contaminate all of your safety detectors to where, they may have to be replaced.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry, dust, flaky residue, pile, storage