Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
White Particles Coming from AC Ducts

I have white particles coming from the AC vents in my Bounder. I believe they are styrofoam. They are smaller than a grain of sand and melt when touched with a match. I have had this coach for 18 months and 13,000 miles. This problem started 3 months ago after we returned from Canada. I have removed all of the AC vents and I see no evidence of insects, water or any damage. I ran a swiffer duster into the ducts and the particles are there. The coach is parked on a slab in the back yard. The sides are well shaded but the roof is exposed to the hot Texas sun. I did not run the airconditioners while parked at home until after we returned from Canada. After we returned from Canada the wife said to leave the airconditioners running so I left one of the running set to 85. A few weeks later I entered the coach and saw the particles. Could it be the heat is causing the ducts to deteriorate?
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Could be lose strofoam coming out that's been up there since it was built. Could be rodents chewing on the stuff also. If the coach is new I would bet it's just loose styrofoam that's found it's way out since you've already looked for rodents. Others may have other ideas though.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'm guessing that your guess is correct - it's styrofoam. It will continue to "migrate" for years, although it should dramatically drop off after a while. It's from where the runs were routed out for your A/C and/or any electric lines or wires that run through the ceiling.

While not impossible, I doubt its from rodents.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem back when we had our TT. Even after 40,000+ miles, I still got styrofoam fallout on occasion. It's from when they did the cutouts for the vents, etc in the ceiling.
You'd think the manufacturer would blow out the vents with an airhose!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #5

Its SNOW hehehhe
Go south to warmer climates and it will stop..

If you remove the air conditioner return/opening in the ceiling, look up in and make sure its sealed to the fan plenum. It could be blowing into cracks in this area and loosening the foam.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The heat and air runs are cut thru the foam and not lined. It will never stop!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I removed the AC vents, took a vacuum and vacuumed as far back inside as I could. I then took a damp cloth and ran my arm in as far as possible. My AC has duct work so it is lined however I still had the styrofoam issue to a certain degree. After that I saw a little of it but now there is none.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I also had this styrofoam snow. Mine was caused by ants in the ceiling styrofoam. They were making new tunnels in the foam. First I killed the ants with some tins of ant bait. Then I cleaned the AC condenser coil that had become clogged with this foam snow, accessed by taking the inside blower duct assembly off. My AC is not the ducted kind. Then I cleaned by vacuum and air compressor. My AC would work for a couple of hours and then freeze up. Now all is good, except I will never get rid of all the foam snow that I spread around the MH. . Best of luck.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #9

You might consider putting a temporary "filter" on each outlet (maybe cheesecloth) to collect the fallout. If you can identify the area of most volume, it can point you to the most likely source.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #10

In mine, it wasn't styrofoam, but saw dust. It had collected near the front end of the ducts and would fall out onto the seats. I removed the vents and was able to insert a vacuum cleaner wand into the duct and sucked out a ton of sawdust. It could just be loose and rattling around in there.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #11

Don't know what chassis you have but it could be the cabin filter, if equipped, needs to be changed.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote